What is Couch to 5K?

Options
I've been seeing this topic and was wondering what it was. I'm going to be doing a 5k in November and was needing a good training guide. Is this was couch to 5k is?

Replies

• JStevens213
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a program for training for a 5K. I had been using it myself and it is pretty easy if you need somthing to help you. I am doind my first 5K Sat but probably wont be able to run it all due to slackness on my part. LOL if you type in Couch to 5 K online it should take you right to the web site and you can print off what you want.
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a website that you can download intervals to your mp3. It follows the couch to 5K template but makes it more interesting by having something to listen to and letting you know what tempo to run/walk at!!

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...thanks emalay! I've actually been looking for something like that.

Has anyone used this training and does it work?
  • hohagan
    Options
    I haven't used that exact program, but am currently using a similar approach as I teach myself to run. I exercise regularly, but have never been able to run (the motion, breating, etc - all miserable). I started doing 1 minute of jogging, followed by 2 minutes of running, etc ...then you progress to 2 minutes of jogging, 1 minute walk, 2 minutes jogging (for 30 minutes) Slowly, you get to a point where you're running more minutes than walking and finally can run 3 miles in 30 minutes - may not win anything for that time, but now, I can say I CAN DO IT! :)
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's my problem. It hurts to run.

Is there anyway to push past the pain? I can run a minute before the pain kills me and i have to stop.

Any suggestions on how to stop the pain?
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've done it and yes it does work. You might find sometimes that you have to repeat a week but all in all a great way to train for a 5K. Good luck with yours.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Biggest way to reduce pain in running I've found is stretching well before and after running. My stretching plus warm up walk take about 15-20 min all told. Stretch well, hydrate before running, and take it slow. Theres nothing wrong with walking running 1 min and walking 2. Even moving in 1/2 min incriments as you build up. Listen to your body, eventually it will feel really good to run those first few min, and then it will feel really good to run more and more. Just being on your feet for a 1/2 hr is plenty good to start.

Also fully utitlize the music mix you use. I have a whole list of different songs that accompany different speeds so I can mix or match as needed for a workout.