I need some help please.

Options
Hello, I have completely turned my lifestyle around in the past 2 weeks. I am watching my carbs more so than calories. I measure and log everything. I am drinking plenty of water. And I have exercised everyday since starting.

After the first 6 days I lost 11 pounds, but have since gained back 3-4 of those lost pounds. I currently weight 347 and I have sat there for a week.

I feel much better exercising and eating better, but I feel like I should be seeing more weight coming off, especially since I weigh so much to begin with.

Can someone look at my diary or give me some pointers/advise? I really wanted to lose 50-75 pounds by mid-November so that I am more comfortable on an airplane and I am feeling somewhat discouraged that I won't make that goal. I have no intention of stopping these good changes, but I am very afraid of disappointing myself.

Thank you!
Kristina

Replies

• totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    weight doesnt fly off.

its a habit changing lifestyle. it takes time... just like it took years to put 200+ extra pounds on.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i started in feb my lifestyle changes.... i booked a cruise in april.

I weights 231 in feb... 220 in april... i was hoping for 165-170 by cruise time in august....

i hoped in one hand... and my goals drove me to eat right, exercise and aim for my goal with minimum **** ups. while i havent hit 165... i am currently 185. and my trip is in 19 days.

Am i sad i didnt hit my goal... **** no. am i glad im no longer 231... **** ya!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well done Kristina in losing those first 11lbs even if you have gained a few back.

when you first start on the whole weight loss you will lose water weight and then things will even out, as long as you didn`t go crazy with the eating after the start :laugh:

I clicked on your profile and your diary is not public so I (or anyone else can not give you any feedback?)

I am sure you will get lots of help and advice if you can go to settings and make your diary public?

Either way do not be to disappointed with your weight loss so far, it all takes time.
  • kristinamc03
    kristinamc03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you Twinketta!.

Great job on you weight loss so far Totalsham!

I just wanted to make sure that I was doing everything right so that I can be successful. I have made my diary public. And thank you for reiterating that it takes time. About 100 pounds ago I lost 40 pounds in 4 months, so I was expecting something more immediate this time. :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I checked back over a few days Kristina and you are clearly keeping under the cals so that is great!

The only thing I can add is to add `sodium` to your settings as that is the only thing I can see from the processed foods that may be a problem.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    First thing you need to realize is..

Carbs don't make fat come off any faster, carbs just hold water which means you'll see fluctuations in the scale a lot, same with sodium, it doesn't affect FAT loss, it just makes the scales display differently.

Remember, it is a marathon not a sprint. It's good that you've started to lose weight, and as long as you're in a consistent deficit (don't kill yourself over it, you're human, not a robot). You will eventually get to your goal.
  • theskyisbluewoohoo
    Options
    Hello! I'll be happy to help you! :) So I looked at your diary and it doesn't seem like you're really cutting off carbs... You're still eating wheat products and processed flours. I would suggest that you try going Paleo- cut off the processed foods- that includes wheat, and eat natural foods such as fruits, veggies, meats, and even dairy is okay, as long as it's 100% natural Greek yogurt! The fastest way to lose weight is going ketogenic (less than 50 g of carbs per day), but that seems to be hell for a lot of people, and it's hard to stick to.

Once you cut off wheat, your body will naturally lose fat better, TRUST ME. If that doesn't help that much, then take more drastic measures such as counting your calories and counting carbs. If you're sedentary you don't really need more than 150 grams of carbs in a day. That's way too much. If you have questions let me know..
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 11 pounds. It's a good start, even though it's mostly water weight (It is for everyone).

Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is around 3070 calories. Know that to continue, you should realize a couple of things. Processed food will probably make it more difficult but not impossible. Several posters have mentioned the sodium content. Additionally, there are micronutrients that your body systems need and processed foods will often not supply these, resulting in cravings and binges.

Secondly, your daily goal is what you should eat. However, your daily goal is 2836 and your TDEE is 3070. So you don't have a big enough deficit to see the kinds of losses you are expecting.

For example, if you reduce your TDEE amount by 20%, you would have a daily goal of 2450, which would put your expected weight loss at a little over a pound a week. And this is probably fine until you get to the weight where you can consider exercising.

Here are a couple of recommendations.

1. Eat all of your goal calories every day.

2. Drink LOTS of water. You probably need to be over 100 ounces a day. Ideally around 125-150.

3. Reduce the processed foods and include more unprocessed. Vegetables instead of chips for example. 150 calories in a bag of chips is much different than 150 calories of vegetables like carrots or sweet peppers. You probably couldn't eat all of those veggies, but the chips go down too easy. So consider some alternate choices.

4. Find some friends on-line or personally who can encourage and walk with you through this. Be willing to be vulnerable and open about your struggles. You'll get better feedback.

Blessings on your journey.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    REduce the fast foods/ processed foods and add a lot more veggies/ fruits. :)
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Honey, you don't need to go primal, or paleo, or atkins, or any other "diet". You just need to make and stick to lifestyle changes. Eat less, watch your calorie intake, and move more. As long as you're eating right and being active, the weight will come off as quickly as is healthy. I started my journey in the middle of February, just counting calories and working out, and 5 1/2 months later, I have lost 69 pounds. It is possible without gimmicks, without diets that are hard to stick to, and without buying silly products that "guarantee" success. YOU are the only one that can make your success happen. Worry less about the fluctuations in the scale... Only weigh once a week right after waking up and using the bathroom, and just focus on making healthy/smart choices.

Good luck to you, if I can do this, YOU can do this. You do not need to feel restricted. Eat a lot of veggies and low cal foods to reach your calorie goal so that you feel full longer, and I'd suggest carrying a water bottle with you so that you can get your water intake in, which also helps me curb my hunger.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like, I'd love to watch you succeed!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 11 pounds. It's a good start, even though it's mostly water weight (It is for everyone).

Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is around 3070 calories. Know that to continue, you should realize a couple of things. Processed food will probably make it more difficult but not impossible. Several posters have mentioned the sodium content. Additionally, there are micronutrients that your body systems need and processed foods will often not supply these, resulting in cravings and binges.

Secondly, your daily goal is what you should eat. However, your daily goal is 2836 and your TDEE is 3070. So you don't have a big enough deficit to see the kinds of losses you are expecting.

For example, if you reduce your TDEE amount by 20%, you would have a daily goal of 2450, which would put your expected weight loss at a little over a pound a week. And this is probably fine until you get to the weight where you can consider exercising.

Here are a couple of recommendations.

1. Eat all of your goal calories every day.

2. Drink LOTS of water. You probably need to be over 100 ounces a day. Ideally around 125-150.

3. Reduce the processed foods and include more unprocessed. Vegetables instead of chips for example. 150 calories in a bag of chips is much different than 150 calories of vegetables like carrots or sweet peppers. You probably couldn't eat all of those veggies, but the chips go down too easy. So consider some alternate choices.

4. Find some friends on-line or personally who can encourage and walk with you through this. Be willing to be vulnerable and open about your struggles. You'll get better feedback.

Blessings on your journey.

Some good advise there. I am a nutritionist and that is a really good start. You might be able to speed up your weight loss with planned activity. You can also try alternating your TDEE -20 with TDEE-25%. If you come under a little bit by not eating back your calories from exercise and alternate the total you will not experience what everyone calls "starvation mode". So dont let people scare you if you eat 2200 one day and 2400 the next and then 1900 on the third. Even on low carb, cheese is not your friend. Sad, I know. Friend me if you want ongoing support.