extra skin

Options
2»

Replies

• FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree with the arms and belly part. I haven't noticed a back issue. I agree with other posters, that I certainly don't find it embarrassing in any way. I have lost ~95 lbs over 18 months and about 115 from my peak weight. Hoping things tighten up, but if not I won't be too upset. I carried that extra weight for over 30 years, my skin isn't going to bounce back overnight.

i dont find it embarassing at all lol. just causes problems sleeping sometimes or back pain. i think it all depends on the body type and were the most fat is were theres loose skin. i still have a stomach so thats probably the last place that will loose its fat lol
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    just watned to say awesome transformations everyone
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The extra skin certainly sucks - yes it gets in the way, I hate the way it looks and all that jazz. I won't wear short sleeve or sleeveless shirts because my arms look horrible. Unless I'm swimming, I won't wear skirts or shorts above the knee because my legs look like melting candle sticks.

But, I love my extra skin. It means I've lost almost 150 pounds. It means I'm stronger now than I've ever been. It means I can swim farther, bike faster, and run harder than most people I know. I'd much rather deal with tugging some skin around instead of lugging around 150 extra pounds! :drinker:

^^^^ LIKE and I'm going to try to look at it more positively than I do Thanks for posting this :)
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It is inspiring to read all of your weight loss success! Congrats to you all! I'm curious how long it took many of you to reach such goals. I do cardio and lifting. I took off 85lbs then put 20lbs back on and am back on the bandwagon after a set back. Thanks for the motivation :)
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have done a little research and found that some burn centers will harvest your skin if you want to donate it.

Can you show me this research? Because everything I have looked up states that they only do skin grafts from cadaver donators, because it is much more costly and unsafe to use the excess skin from a removal or live donor. From a live donor they have to procure the skin for 6 months and text for all diseases more than once, and the skin that is all loose and stretched out isn't as pliable.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    http://organdonor.gov/about/livedonation.html

The center that harvested skin from a friend of mine was in TX.
    He had lost 320 pounds after gastric bi-pass surgery and the skin was horrible.
    While it is true most places will not harvest live skin, there are very few that will.
    I have done little research on this and intend to do more.
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    It is inspiring to read all of your weight loss success! Congrats to you all! I'm curious how long it took many of you to reach such goals. I do cardio and lifting. I took off 85lbs then put 20lbs back on and am back on the bandwagon after a set back. Thanks for the motivation :)

just changing my eating habits no exercise i was dropping 15-20 lbs a month if not more. 7 months to loose 100 about another 4-5 to loose the other 30 but i added exercise so gaining muscle and i have a few set back weeks lmao
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    http://organdonor.gov/about/livedonation.html

The center that harvested skin from a friend of mine was in TX.
    He had lost 320 pounds after gastric bi-pass surgery and the skin was horrible.
    While it is true most places will not harvest live skin, there are very few that will.
    I have done little research on this and intend to do more.

The problem with that it to donate you have to be physically fit, No high blood pressure or anyhting wrong with you. And alot of places will accept donated tisshue but wont pay for it. they rather you pay and the kindness of ur heart donate and i dont blame them for that one. But is anyone find a place that will in MA for free to donate the extra skin let me know lol ill need it probably next year
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have lost close to 180 pounds n do find when lying flat on my back I sometimes have to pull the skin on my lower back to the sides so it lies flat.... But apart from that I don't really have any issues...it doesn't effect my workouts etc n I don't get rashes or anything

thats exactly what i mean ill do chest press and it will fold and get pinned on seat as i push and pinch lmao. but biggest thing is the sleeping ill wake up and hve moved while i was sleeping a fold was there and makes my back sore cause i didnt knoe. mines upper back not lower back

To be honest I sleep on my stomach so it doesn't cause me a sleeping issue....it's generally just when I have to lie flat on my back for exercise purposes
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've only begun the journey but am already seeing my nice, pillow-y self develop sags, and lumps that weren't there before. Since I am in my 60s and have been fat for many years, I am expecting to end up resembling a Shar Pei. On the other hand, as I watch the wings develop under my arms, I wonder if they might become sufficiently large to enable flight.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have extra skin as well. Back of the arms, stomach, back and thighs. October will be two years for me and I hope and pray that it starts retracting soon. Nothing more frustrating than spending hours and hours in the gym and not being able to wear shorts and tank tops because of all of the loose skin. I want to wear the cute little gym outfits dammit!!!
  • yesImanaturalblue
    yesImanaturalblue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost a total of 110lbs from my peak weight. That was almost 2 years ago and on my previous MFP account :(. I moved from cardio to strength training, HEAVY weights, and I have seen almost all of my skin tighten up except my stomach. That is mostly because I had a bunch of kids BUT it has improved sooooooo much.

My arms and thighs have toned up nicely. I had a lot of loose skin when I first hit my goal weight. It was yucky, I had just turned 30.

I'm almost 32 now and it has taken the entire time to tighten up. But now I wear shorts and sleeveless shirts and show off my newly found muscles. :D

Patience. Hard work and patience.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I knew going in I would need some intervention so I did my homework, found the plastic surgeon I wanted, spent 3 years getting my Truck paid off and then got to my goal weight, got a loan (my new truck payment minus the new truck lol) and went and had 17 lbs. of skin removed... www.gettingfit4life.com Best of Luck
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hey Dude,

I lost 257 pounds, and had a huge belly. I am home right now, recovering from having a full abdominoplasty surgery two weeks ago today, where they took off 80% of that skin.

How you doing on your goals?

-David / BootJockey
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hey Ed!
  • Carol_Magee
    Carol_Magee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump