Marathon training and refueling

Options
I am currently training for my first marathon...EEK! My question is does anyone have a preference of what you use to refuel during runs? Ive only done half marathons so far so Ive never used any gels or goos. But Im assuming with the longer runs I am going to have to use something. Also any other advice would be greatly appreciated :) Im using the run less run faster training plan although Im a slacker and am already a week behind! Thank you

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely need to refuel during a marathon, most people completely deplete their glycogen around 20 miles. Anything that's fast absorbing and contains mostly simple sugars will work. They make these little gummies now that I've heard are good.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bunch of different brands, both gels and chews and I'm going to test them out during training. Lots of people say they can't tolerate one kind or another so it's a very individual thing I think.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, you won't *need* to refuel during training as most plans don't exceed the 20 mile barrier. You will, however, want to fuel during the marathon, so you need to practice beforehand to make sure that whatever you use doesn't upset your stomach.

I don't use any fuel during training except for two long runs that I'll take along two gel packs that are the kind that I'm going to use for the race. I'll take one at around 2:00 into the run, the other about 2:45 to simulate race conditions. The rest of the training runs, I do without as I believe it better trains the body to use it's own fuel stores more efficiently.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My favorite is mint chocolate Gu- tastes like melted junior mints.

I would suggest going to a sports store and getting a selection of different ones to try. You don't really need them unless it's really long runs, but you also need to practice with them until you find one that's palatable and won't make you nauseated. If I'm doing a 90+ minute run, I will start using them after the first hour. Most people will say that's too early, but that's my preference.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, you won't *need* to refuel during training as most plans don't exceed the 20 mile barrier. You will, however, want to fuel during the marathon, so you need to practice beforehand to make sure that whatever you use doesn't upset your stomach.

I don't use any fuel during training except for two long runs that I'll take along two gel packs that are the kind that I'm going to use for the race. I'll take one at around 2:00 into the run, the other about 2:45 to simulate race conditions. The rest of the training runs, I do without as I believe it better trains the body to use it's own fuel stores more efficiently.

I feel like I definitely *need* to refuel about every 45 min to 1 hour during my longest runs (any runs longer than 12 - 14 miles). Maybe it's all in my head but I drink a few sips of Gatorade every mile when its warmer and also have a Gu every 45 min almost on the dot. Maybe after it cools down, I'll try running my long runs holding out to the 2 hour mark for my first refueling and see what happens!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need to buy a few different ones and test them out. Some people don't like the consistency of gels, others have trouble chewing while running, some get tummy troubles.

Sometimes I use gels, sometimes I like to eat Swedish fish. I will start using them earlier than most people during training runs because I run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If I'm going longer than 10 miles I will take the first one at the 1 hour mark.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am a professional cheapskate and make my own......you can buy gel flasks at pretty much any running store. The recipe I use is about 3 parts honey, 1 part molasses, a pinch of salt and a little water to dilute the mixture. A fraction of the cost of commercial gels and not litter while you're running. (The taste reminds me of the molasses candies from Halloween)

On the occasions I have used commercial gels I've used Clifshots (raspberry & chocolate......it's like eating dessert while you're running! :love: )
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

This is the philosphy I subscribed to during my last marathon cycle and thought it worked very well for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... it's almost all personal preference, so try a few and see how you do with them.

Personally, I like gels/gus with caffeine and rice crispy treats.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I feel like I definitely *need* to refuel about every 45 min to 1 hour during my longest runs (any runs longer than 12 - 14 miles). Maybe it's all in my head but I drink a few sips of Gatorade every mile when its warmer and also have a Gu every 45 min almost on the dot. Maybe after it cools down, I'll try running my long runs holding out to the 2 hour mark for my first refueling and see what happens!

I'm betting it's at least mostly mental. Most people have enough stored energy to last roughly 90 minutes (lots of assumptions here, but that's generally the case). Everyone, assuming a reasonably normal diet, should be able to go more than 45 minutes without anything. That said, if you know you're going to be out for a long time, there is nothing wrong with starting early to avoid problems later in the race.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Up to an hour, I am good with just water. After that, I go with the little gummy style energy candies.

I tried the gels but found that I had to consume the whole thing in one shot. With the candies, I hit them up one at a time about every 20 - 25 min from the 60 min mark onward. I melt/mash them in my mouth over a few minutes. So that it's not one big shot of gel all at one time.

As an aside, I have not noticed any additional "energy" from the gummies or gels. But, these along with drinking lots/regular water, have greatly reduced my post long run recovery.

I am training for my first marathon and the first couple of "long" runs (longer than 21k) took me a couple of days to get over. With these little treats, I am good to go after a few hours of rest.
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My favorite is mint chocolate Gu- tastes like melted junior mints.

I would suggest going to a sports store and getting a selection of different ones to try. You don't really need them unless it's really long runs, but you also need to practice with them until you find one that's palatable and won't make you nauseated.

I agree, you need to figure out what you like and what effect it has on your stomach. I like most of GU's flavors (even the super caffeinated "Roctane" ones. I'd also suggest you start running with whatever electrolyte beverage your race uses, just to make sure there's no Gastro-intestinal issues there.

Now, I tend to go without Gels/GU on my long training runs up to 20 miles, but this is after learning that I don't have any GI problems with the major brands. I still take a waterbottle full of Gatorade and I keep a Gel or 2 in my belt just in case (but by the time I feel like I need it it's likely too late)

During a race I fallow the guidelines on the GU packets, I take one 15 minutes before the race with 4oz water and then another GU every 45 minutes. Hydration strategy for me on a training run or race is ~4 oz water or Electrolyte beverage every 2 miles.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bunch of different brands, both gels and chews and I'm going to test them out during training. Lots of people say they can't tolerate one kind or another so it's a very individual thing I think.
    Nailed it.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also use zero to limited gels, but when I do I prefer Accel. The 5 grams of protein makes a huge difference for me. Experiment and trust your body. M
  • Jessie__86
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Im going to go to my local running store and just purchase a few different ones! thank you :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Im going to go to my local running store and just purchase a few different ones! thank you :)

Don't discount real foods. IME, nothing travels as well or tastes as good as a rice crispy treat! But there are a lot of other options as well.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Don't discount real foods. IME, nothing travels as well or tastes as good as a rice crispy treat! But there are a lot of other options as well.

Clif Bars too. My favorite when biking.
  • amonk10
    amonk10 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have blood sugar issues (hypoglycemia) so if I'm going to do a long run, I eat 2 Gu Chomps before I go. I always carry a pack with me on any run just in case I crash. I used to use the Gu gels but the last thing I want to eat when I'm running it something of an icing-like consistency. It leaves just a film in your mouth that is not refreshing to say the last. The only Gu gel that I actually like is the Mint Chocolate one because it leaves you feeling like you just ate a mint. Clif Shotblocks are also really awesome too. I only eat more chomps if I feel like I need them during the run.