Do Clean Eaters Miss Cheese?

Options
StephIntrepid
StephIntrepid Posts: 34 Member
I am in no way selling myself as a Clean Eater. I have started eating way more whole foods in the past two months, and while I load up on fresh fruits and veggies, I don't *only* eat unprocessed food. This mostly pertains to dairy. I love my dairy. Cheeses, butter, milk, yogurt...

I admit that I have not eaten nearly as much cheese as I had been because of the number of calories for a measly 3cm cube.

Have you looked at the ingredients for cheese? There should just be milk with some enzymes...

BEHOLD! A recipe for home-made Mozzarella Cheese!

1/2 tablet of Junket Rennet (Junket is the brand name, Rennet is the product. For veggies out there, Rennet is an animal product, however, there is a vegetable based one out there somewhere. Rennet can be found in natural food stores, I found mine in a Mediterranean food store)

1/4 cup chlorine-free water (distilled works)

1 Gallon of Whole Milk (If you can get unpasteurized, fantastic, if not, pasteurized works...just don't try ultra-pasteurized)

1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Citric Acid (try your dry goods section, pharmacy, or natural foods aisle)

That's it!

Slowly heat 1 gallon of milk with 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Citric Acid mixed in it to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. While that is warming, crush 1/2 Rennet into 1/4 cup distilled water and dissolve. When milk reaches 95 degrees, add water with dissolved rennet in it and stir gently until it is combined. Cover, take off heat, and wait 30 min. When you come back, the milk will have separated or mostly separated into whey and curd. You want the curd. Remove it from the pot with a slotted spoon, and place in a microwave-safe bowl (I used a giant Pyrex measuring bowl). Continue squeezing whey out. This will take a while. To help you along, place cheese lump in microwave on high for 45s-60s. Drain excess whey again, and start kneading cheese. More moisture= softer cheese, so repeat the process until strings start forming when you pull it apart. Voila! 4 Ingredient Cheese!

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i wish you luck... ;)

i will *never* give up cheese.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You clearly don't understand that cheese is not just food, it is ART! You don't use just two colors as a painter... and you certainly never use just two ingredients as a cheese artisan.

*hair fluff*
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I eat clean and cheese.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    UNless you are vegan or lactose why in the hell would you give up cheese? It has essential fats and protein. Its like giving up carbs lol. Plus, who doesn't love cheesy goeyness
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    US commercial cheeses are so bad as to not be worth considering :X

homemade mozzarella always good have you tried using other types of milk? such as a more traditional buffalo or maybe goats milk?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather die.
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    I wanted to try eating clean - so I cut out 2 of my staples, peanut butter and cheese, in one fell swoop. I thought I would crave them. I didn't though! I think it is because I replaced it with almonds, pistachios, tahini, and avocado. Having nutrition-filled substitutes made it surprisingly easy.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and eat it everyday along with butter :smile:
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Looks to me like the OP is just passing along a recipe for home made mozzarella, which, if you've never had really fresh cheese, is a wonderful thing you should not miss.

Didn't read anything about giving up cheese.
  • RegularLife
    RegularLife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I miss cheese. It' soooooooooo good, but I'm lactose intolerant.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Why do clean eaters have to make their own cheese? Are they simultaneously Amish?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Looks to me like the OP is just passing along a recipe for home made mozzarella, which, if you've never had really fresh cheese, is a wonderful thing you should not miss.

is it gonna taste different from the regular mozzarella from the deli or market. Like I mean to ask is it worth the effort...tastewise? Because if so I will try making it.
  • RobTheGourmet
    Options
    I miss cheese. It' soooooooooo good, but I'm lactose intolerant.

have you tried other types of cheese such as goats milk cheeses like fresh goats milk cheese, pecorino, feta or Chavroux to name a couple, they are often an alternative for people who are lactose intolerant
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something?

You actually read the OP?

You win this time stranger on the internet *walks backwards slowly out of the thread*
  • RobTheGourmet
    Options

is it gonna taste different from the regular mozzarella from the deli or market. Like I mean to ask is it worth the effort...tastewise? Because if so I will try making it.

proper cheese is always better then US commercial cheeses period and as to this specific cheese most def even more so if you have a good source for better milk then was most likely used to make the commercial garbage.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

It will taste better than the deli stuff, unless the deli stuff is fresh. (Fresh is usually packed in water.) Besides, it's kind of a neat process. You get to watch milk magically turn in to cheese.
    Make a caprese salad with it and you will be very happy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_WIT_6kxAi7BTKXdvXKsz39IGV6m1xCJWPSCrop3rxrKsaLut
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

LOL no lie this is like my requirement for making weird **** you can easily buy at the g-d store. If it tastes like 200x better I will make it myself, if not I will take the micrograms of "dirty" ingredients over spending way too much time making something I can get at safeway.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Clean-ish cheese eater! I think am going to have to try this mozz!!! I LOVE fresh cheese....and have raw milk.....it's like this post was meant for me! ; )
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Haha, yep so many people comment before even reading. :)
  • StephIntrepid
    StephIntrepid Posts: 34 Member
    Options

proper cheese is always better then US commercial cheeses period and as to this specific cheese most def even more so if you have a good source for better milk then was most likely used to make the commercial garbage.

K everybody...Calm down. I don't know what OP stands for, I did a little research as to clean eating, and in short, it seemed like just eating whole foods...meaning not processed. Cheese at a deli is processed to hell and back, and for that matter, most milk is too (ultra-pasteurized milk doesn't really have anything good from what started out as *Whole* milk). Please understand that I didn't mean any harm or offense to clean eaters.

Just know that home made mozz is the best...tasty. The yield from 1 gallon isn't too much, but the pride you will have after making your own cheese might be worth it in and of itself.