How do you know when you're done?

Options
I've hit my goal weight and most of the time I'm happy with what I've done...
while other times I still feel fat or think I need to lose more weight.
I know I can use more toning, but how do you decide what's an ideal weight for you?

Replies

• JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing.
    I've reached my goal weight. And I'm really happy with it most days. But, sometimes, I want that extra 5 lbs.
    Also, I'm going to California for a vacation next month and I want to get down a couple of pounds extra so if I go off track, it won't kill me as much. Sometimes, I feel crazy.
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    I feel the crazy,
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a point when you're done is there? :D

I suppose it maybe different for a male due to bodybuilding purposes but there is always something I can work toward, surely it's the same for you?
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya. I think most of us have that problem. It's never enough..
  • DustyHaynes
    DustyHaynes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on what you want from this. If you want to get to a certain weight, then you're done when you get to that weight. But if you want to create a healthier overall lifestyle for yourself, then you won't ever be done. It will be constant maintenance.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I totally agree that there's no such thing as "done," just new goals to work towards.

On the other hand, I think it's kind of like working on a piece of art - a painting or sculpture - and the absolute hardest part of that is deciding when it's done. My advice, for both weight loss and painting, is to just live with it a while. Stop focusing on it for a few weeks and see how you like it.

It takes our brain a while to adjust to our new bodies. Give it the time it needs. You can always do more later.
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    That is great advice, thank you @lorinalynn
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    And the headline is misleading, I am aware you're never "done"
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I totally agree that there's no such thing as "done," just new goals to work towards.

On the other hand, I think it's kind of like working on a piece of art - a painting or sculpture - and the absolute hardest part of that is deciding when it's done. My advice, for both weight loss and painting, is to just live with it a while. Stop focusing on it for a few weeks and see how you like it.

It takes our brain a while to adjust to our new bodies. Give it the time it needs. You can always do more later.

All of this.

I hit my original goal weight a few weeks ago. I was thinking I still wanted to lose a few more pounds, but I've decided to give it some time. I have a feeling that when my brain catches up with my body, I'll think I'm right where I need to be.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Maybe shift your focus away from weight and toward weights!

What I mean is that if you've already reached your goal weight and feel like you need more toning, focus on getting stronger. Start a weight lifting program, or other fitness program, so that you have goals to strive for that are about becoming healthier and stronger, not just smaller.

The happiest I've ever felt about my body was when I started lifting weights. I felt strong and confident every day, I was able to record my progress by tracking how many reps I could do at what weight each week, and it was so much more satisfying than just getting on the scale every morning and crossing my fingers.
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you are never "done". it is a life style change. if you go back to your old habits then you will more than likely gain your weight back.
    thats why everone has to do what works for them so they can continue this lifestyle their entire life.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My only comment is I will be happy to have the problem of being at goal weight and unsure what to do. Well 39 lbs. to go....
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the weight. Focus on your body & health. If you want to "tone", then do it... it doesn't have to mean lose weight.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    when you yourself are happy with your self,
  • Oliviajrea
    Options
    Go and get a body composition test done at a gym or by a GP and they will let you know if you are at a good place , then what you need to do is maintain that healthy body :-) Remember that all negative thoughts are in our heads. You need to be happy with yourself and not worry what the world thinks. Its you that is out there doing the work not them. Do let them be the judge only you can judge your self.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Instead of relying on the scale for the right weight start lifting weights and build the muscle you need to firm up the soft spots and you won't care what you weigh. The body you sculpt will look & feel much better and you will be healthier for it. :flowerforyou:
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    Go and get a body composition test done at a gym or by a GP and they will let you know if you are at a good place , then what you need to do is maintain that healthy body :-) Remember that all negative thoughts are in our heads. You need to be happy with yourself and not worry what the world thinks. Its you that is out there doing the work not them. Do let them be the judge only you can judge your self.

• Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    it is a lifestyle you are never done life sentence :)
  • laurabelle2013
    Options
    Or as I sometimes wonder...."did i pick the right goal weight?" Most times i'm very happy with how I look and feel, because of lifting heavier and eating WAY better... but I'm still 5 pounds from the arbitrary # I picked for my goal weight...
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    Or as I sometimes wonder...."did i pick the right goal weight?" Most times i'm very happy with how I look and feel, because of lifting heavier and eating WAY better... but I'm still 5 pounds from the arbitrary # I picked for my goal weight...

Probably should have titled this "did I choose the right weight goal"....or "how do I choose the right weight goal"
    Would be more appropriate for what I'm really asking and I would get more helpful results....
    Seeing as people are only reading the title and I am aware it's constant work :p
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!