Anyone training for a half marathon?

Options
Hi all,

First forum post here. I've been a runner off and on for about two years. As a fat kid, I HATED running growing up, always played sports that only involved short bursts of speed, but started with a C25K program in 2011. (YOU CAN DO IT!) Then, to lose weight - or so I thought - I trained for and ran the Chicago Marathon last year with a charity team. Little did I know that, on average, most first time marathoners actually gain weight! I only lost 5 lbs through the whole process but certainly gained mental and physical toughness!

Anyway, I'm training for a half marathon in October and would like to meet some of the other runners out there! I'm 25, 6'0 and have about 30 lbs to get to my goal of a healthy weight! (Might reassess once I get there -- haven't been at a healthy weight since before high school, so we'll see how my body feels.) I've always been fairly active, but could never kick the terrible eating habits. Finally ready to do so, and friends can only help!

If you're training for a half marathon or other run and would like encouragement, let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• meganld
    meganld Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a half marathon! Mine is September 29th, and it'll be my first run longer than a 5K. I have my first six mile training run in the morning.

I'm 26 and 5'6'', also with about 30 lbs to lose.

It sounds like we have a lot in common, I'm going to add you!
  • asheserin
    asheserin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my second half marathon on 6 October (bit of a spur of the moment thing) and as a more long-term goal I'm cautiously planning for a spring marathon. Happy to have more runner friends!!!
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Am doing my first half this sunday eeeeek!!!! Terrified but have done the training :) See how I go but in the back of my mind is more halfs and maybe even a full one day..... :o) friend me if you like
  • indiawastaken
    indiawastaken Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half in November. I've ran two halves & a full, but took a break from running due to injury/boredom/slothfulness. (I was a first time marathoner that gained weight).

I'm trying something new this time by focusing more on strength training, & working my runs around my strength days.

I am 28 w/ 27lbs to lose to get to my goal weight.
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Training for a half marathon in Boston in October. So far so good with the training. I'm mixing CrossFit with my distance running and I feel super strong.... lets hope it lasts.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am signing up fot my first half tomorrow. It is in March, so I will have plenty of time to train since I am going to need it.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Training for a full marathon in October: training has been a bit.... Up and down, but I'm getting there slowly. I've just been struggling a bit on the longer runs recently with the heat, but no doubt I'll get there. :)

I've run one half race before (2 hours 3 seconds- and I still rue those three seconds!), but know the distance well, I do at least a half (distance wise) every weekend. Another runner on the friend's list would be fantastic if you did fancy a running buddy!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the distance (half marathon), not any particular race. Should get there easily by mid-October, (just did 18k last Sunday) then I'll decide whether its speed work or more distance next... Gotta have something to work towards :bigsmile:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second half-race date is Aug 25th. Very excited
    I use www.marathonrookie.com for my training schedule
    I'm 46 5'5 at 117lbs
    I also do circuits to keep my legs strong-getting faster and faster
    good luck to you
    if its your first-just finish don't worry about your pace/time
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs last year and I love to run! I did my first 10k this month and am looking to do a few more as well as move up to half-marathons! Feel free to add me as a friend and good luck to you :D
  • nursedot
    nursedot Posts: 3
    Options
    I am also training for my first 1/2 marathon, aug 17. coming up soon!!!. I've been training for a couple months now and struggled with a knee injury, but feeling better now. just want to finish and not worried about my time. I have run 3 5k races this year and have lost 68 pounds and at goal wt now, yeah. keep going on step at a time
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes! Running my first half in September. I've been out of the country all summer and I thought I'd have more time to train when I got back, so I slacked a little while abroad. Got back and realized that I have about six weeks so it looks like I'm jumping right into things! Kind of terrified since I've never run more than 8 miles before (and truthfully that was because I got lost and spent an extra hour trying to find my way home lol), but I'm determined. Goal is to finish with minimal walking (aka walking at water stations).
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've got my 3rd half in Boston in October and I'll probably do my 4th half in November. But every time I have a lousy run (like my commute home tonight) I start to rethink the Nov race, so I haven't officially signed up yet.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Im running my first half on 6th October so have just over two months to train!
    Completed my first 8 mile run Saturday so feeling alot more confident and following a great training plan! It crazy how when you gradually increase your runs its alot easier!
    Good luck everyone! If anyone is running the Cardiff half then add me !!
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to be so sporty as a kid but like you, hated running with a passion. I have started doing c25k podcasts the last 2 weeks in a bid to get fitter for netball, which I have now also started playing again. Now I've started getting ideas about running a 10k next summer with hopes of a half marathon poss the year after as a challenge!
    If any of you wish to add me do so as it'd be great to see how you are all doing with this!
    Good luck x
  • Brewster1620
    Brewster1620 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half-marathon on Oct 6th. I've run many 5k's, 10k's a 7.1 mile race so I am ready for the next step. My ultimate dream is to one day run the Boston Marathon.

I chose a 12w training program with 4 weeks of pre-training.
  • Jhs1987
    Jhs1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first half marathon on October 27th. I started running last January, and have worked up to a long run of about six miles, so I have some training to do for sure! Feel free to add me, the more support the better and would love to hear of your progress!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 8th half marathon (third of the year) In November at Disney. I'm in full training mode now. Oh and I hate to break it to you, but closer you get to races and longer the runs get, the less you'll lose.

I find the magic distance to WL ratio is about the 4-6 mile range.

But like you I started running only to lose weight. I did the C25K back in Fall of 2006 and started to actually enjoy running or at least challenging myself and the sense of accomplishment. Then I started to get addicted to races.

While half marathons are my favorite race distance, I'm not so fond of the training and grow "bored" as I near the race. I plan to only do 1-2 of these races a year after this year (I cut back from four last year). Good luck with your training!
  • Kilokato
    Kilokato Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm training for a bunch of different races, one of which is a half marathon. I've DESPISED running my entire life; I thought it was the most torturous, masochistic activity around. For some odd reason, about four months ago I went outside and started running. I just felt compelled to move, and I didn't want to go downstairs and use the elliptical. Since then, I've become pretty obsessed.

I LOVE to run now! I consider myself a cross-country runner, as I train almost exclusively on metro-parks trails around the city. I signed up for a series of 5 mile trail races this fall, and I cannot wait. Sooo excited. I plan on running the Akron marathon next year, and I hope to register for two more 5k runs and a half marathon I've got my eye on.

As far as training goes, I'm still struggling with my endurance. I still haven't been able to run a mile continuously. It's a bit frustrating, honestly. I make it about 3/4ths of a mile and I just break down and have to walk for about a minute. I'm getting better, though!