How do you know when you're done?

Options
2»

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight. Felt this. Lost another 13 lbs. Realized I was at a number on the scale that felt scary low for me. But I still didn't like the way I looked in a bikini.

This was when I realized it's not about the number on the scale, it's about body composition. I wanted strength. I wanted solid abs. I wanted to look at a bar and know I could pump out pull ups on command.

I started lifting heavy and hitting my macros.

I'm still not at my new goal- which is 16% bf and STRONG. But I'll tell ya, I been working towards it for over a year and I sure as hell am not getting bored yet.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm done with weight loss.

With fitness? Never.
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    I hit my goal weight. Felt this. Lost another 13 lbs. Realized I was at a number on the scale that felt scary low for me. But I still didn't like the way I looked in a bikini.

This was when I realized it's not about the number on the scale, it's about body composition. I wanted strength. I wanted solid abs. I wanted to look at a bar and know I could pump out pull ups on command.

I started lifting heavy and hitting my macros.

I'm still not at my new goal- which is 16% bf and STRONG. But I'll tell ya, I been working towards it for over a year and I sure as hell am not getting bored yet.

Good plan
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'm done with weight loss.

With fitness? Never.

Badass answer.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I totally agree that there's no such thing as "done," just new goals to work towards.

On the other hand, I think it's kind of like working on a piece of art - a painting or sculpture - and the absolute hardest part of that is deciding when it's done. My advice, for both weight loss and painting, is to just live with it a while. Stop focusing on it for a few weeks and see how you like it.

It takes our brain a while to adjust to our new bodies. Give it the time it needs. You can always do more later.

agreed I had been losing for over 3 years and after my skin surgery I decided to go into maintenance so the last 9 months I have been maintaining at 250 lbs. I have been comfortable in my own skin and been working on that painting (weight lifting for body composition) and now I have decided I want to lose few more pounds so I set new goals of dropping another 15 lbs. and I will evaluate myself at that time.... Best of Luck OP....
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Based on the second picture in your profile, I would say you are at an ideal weight for you.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I think it just depends on what you want from this. If you want to get to a certain weight, then you're done when you get to that weight. But if you want to create a healthier overall lifestyle for yourself, then you won't ever be done. It will be constant maintenance.

Well said!
  • nkoconnell
    Options
    SO on topic for me. Def feelin the crazy.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I want 15% BF. then I want to bulk, then cut.....rinse and repeat till I'm 180 and 12% BF.
  • gpiercebutler
    gpiercebutler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest maintaining for a while and then deciding if it's the right weight. Two things. Firstly your brain needs to catch up with your body - you will still feel overweight for some time. Secondly your body will still change as the fat that is left reorganises itself. Both my sisters have lost weight and looked different after a month or so of maintenance.

If in a few months you decide you actually want another 5 pounds off then you'll be better informed than now.
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've asked my husband the same thing. I met my initial goal (wedding weight), but yearn for more. I'm weight training and seeing results, but when does it stop. I know that this new lifestyle is permanent for me, but will I ever be accepting of where I am? If you have been overweight for most of your life, you will always feel overweight, no matter your size. My husband says, when you get there, you will know. As long as you are doing it the right way and not doing anything extreme (fad diets, starvation, etc.), then there is no harm in pushing to be better. Good luck to everyone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!