Help with someone who wants to begin jogging?

Options
Hello. I am 5'6"& 3/4 and I weigh 144. I am really pushing to get down to my goal weight 130-133lbs. I want to know if jogging will help me get there , how long it will take, & how I should begin so I don't end up hurting myself. I would like to know from your own personal experiences if it would be a good idea to jog to lose those last pounds. Also, how should I go about beginning? Thank you so much!

Replies

• knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    I want to see this too!
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Yes, jogging will accelerate weight loss. I started out by run/walking. Back then, we didn't have supercool iphones with apps. But, if we did I would have started out with a couch to 5k program that utilizes the same R/W technique. I'm especially fond of Jeff Galloway.
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    I started jogging not to lose weight but because I was hilariously unfit.

Couch to 5k or similar is your new best friend.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    C25K.com
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Honestly, eating at a calorie deficit and ANY form of exercise you enjoy will help you lose weight.

I'm just starting up C25k again in addition to my regular workouts to hopefully work off these stubborn last few pounds. I'll have to get back to you on how well it's going to work. ;)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Running, in my opinion definitely helps. And it is more fun than walking.

c25k ^ is a great program.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a while now, and would strongly recommend that you start with a run/walk program.
    This will help prevent injury while allowing you to burn more calories and increase your cardio abilities.

There are some good programs out there to follow. I personally like Jeff Galloway. I've added a link below for you
    to check out.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

There is great information and explanations for beginners on this site.

Walking intervals mixed with running is the safest way to begin. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes
    (preferable fitted for you by an actual running store trained in selecting the best shoe for your needs). This in itself can
    help prevent injury and make your new exercise routine more enjoyable.

Often people that are starting out think they can't do it if they can't run the whole time. Jeff Galloway's program incorporates
    walk breaks no matter what distance you are running!

Good luck!
  • runningwhilemommy
    runningwhilemommy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should follow the Couch to 5k plan. You can find it at coolrunnings.com or download it on your phone. IMO, it is the best beginner app there is. It is how I started. I have lost a total of 20 pounds with running and eating properly. Everyone is different but for me, the weight didn't start to come off until I started to train for my first half marathon. Again, everyone is different and you may see a change right away. Besides running I would walk, bike, spin and do yoga. Cross training is important when you run as it will help keep injuries down. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.