Am I fit enough to do Insanity?

Options
Hey, guys. This is for everyone that has decided to challenge themselves and take on Insanity.

How much did you weigh when you first started Insanity? What were your biggest challenges and difficulties with the workout? I attempted to do the fit test today and I only managed 10-12 minutes of it before it felt like my body was screaming "NO MORE." I never realized how out of shape I really am until today!! I'm so disappointed.

My biggest struggle was keeping correct form. I could barely keep my knees high, they felt like a ton of bricks, and "butt kicks" kicked my butt. I also have like, two left feet and some of the moves that involved a number of steps really threw me off and I was a total mess lol. Did anyone else feel challenged and a little lost with some of the moves? I feel like I'm just flailing all over the place and not doing it right, and if I'm not doing it right then there won't be any improvements.

Should I just keep pushing and not be so obsessed with perfect form? Should I focus more on pushing through and completing the workout? Or does form matter that much even in the beginning? I'm wondering if I should keep hitting the gym for another month, lose some more extra weight and then attempt it again?

Any advice or tips for someone feel overwhelmed with Insanity?

Replies

• rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was 200 when I started 6 weeks ago. I experienced everything that you did during my first fit test. I just kept pushing through. My calves were incredibly sore for about 2 weeks and the push-moves I am not the best at. I think that keeping a good form is super important. I think it's easy to get injured if you aren't careful.

I think you should keep trying! You can do it! Even if you have to take more breaks or if you're not able to keep up with the professionals on the screen. Just keep your heart rate up by trying!

So as of today I've lost 12 lbs and over 11 inches total off my body. I feel great, and more importantly I feel strong! Feel free to add me or ask me any questions! (I'm not a salesperson for insanity or beachbody or whatever] GOOD LUCK in whatever you decide!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just try it and do the best you can do. no one is going to force you to go past what you're capable of. if you stop at the 12 min mark you still got trained, and hopefully you can make the 14 min mark the next day, and 16 the next, etc.....
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I almost hate to ask, but, what is Insanity and where can I find out about it?
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Everyone is challenged the first day with Insanity. It's Insane!. Keep at it, slow way down, make sure you practice good form over speed. You want to get through each workout. If that means modifications - i.e., going slower, not lifting your knees so high, having to take a 30 second break to catch your breath, do it but keep moving. It will become easier the more you do it. You will be doing the same dvd's for month 1 and the moves will become familiar. Than in month 2 you use a completely different set of dvds and begin again. Congrats on making the commitment to do this! I love Insanity and it will get better!

How much a person weighs really does not matter as much as how fit your cardiovascular system is. Skinny people fail because they have no core strength. I don't think you need to hit the gym for another month. You can do this! Just slow down, work on perfect form and keep at it.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have similar concerns. I have completed Les Mills Combat and am in my 14th week (of 20) of Turbo Fire. My next goal is to complete Insanity, but I am wondering if I should leave it for when I have lost all of the weight I want to and use it just to tone up? Completing Insanity has been my goal since day 1 of this journey, but I don't know if I should save it for when I am closer to my goal weight. I am around 200 (lost 41 doing the other programs so far) and want to get to around 160 so I still have a long way to go. I alreay have it and it is just sitting there taunting me...
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This is the post I made after completing Insanity:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038467-i-completed-insanity

FORM IS VERY IMPORTANT during Insanity and every workout you do. It prevents injury and increases results. Any moves that feel awkward to you I recommend having someone watch you do it (not during the workout because a lot of times you're going fast and you're sweating and ourt of breath) and critique your form. Weight in my opinion has very little to do with "fitness". I ran a 5k in April with several people who were much smaller than me and they had trouble keeping up with me, but by that time I had been working out 6 days a week for 4 months and had lost about 30lbs. If you feel you need more time, give yourself more time. You need to be both physically and mentally prepared to start Insanity. It's a tough program to stick with but it's possible if you really want it! Good luck!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Insanity is no joke. It never gets easier, you get fitter! I lost 13 pounds doing it and about 26 inches overall in the 63 days. Here are some pointers/tips/advice...

1 - DO NOT attempt to keep up with the people in the DVDs. Most of them are trainers of some sort and have already completed the program AT LEAST once! They didn't start off at the level they are at in the DVDs and neither will anyone who starts for the first time. You are going to have to figure out what your max is every time you press play. Some days are going to be easier than others but the point is to push yourself to the limit. When you feel your body saying "no more" it's probably just your brain saying it so try to go another minute, or 2, or to the next break, etc.

2 - FORM OVER SPEED!!! If you don't pay any attention to perfecting your form you WILL injure yourself. It's better to go slower and safer than speed through, hurt yourself and be recovering for weeks!

3 - THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE!!! During the first month don't be surprised if the scale goes up a few pounds. It is typical of the majority. Most are going to shed the weight in the second month, the first month is simply setting you up to be able to do the second. Inches will come off fast, scale weight not so fast. There are some people who actually lose massive inches and no scale weight at all.

4 - Make sure you are eating enough!!! I can't stress how important this is. If you are following a 1200 cal diet you ARE NOT going to be able to finish the program. Likely you will land yourself in bed exhausted and sick this way. I would recommend a minimum of 1500 and eating back exercise calories. You are going to need every bit of energy your body can create from food.

5 - Remember, people can only give you advice based on their experiences, yours may be different. Do the best YOU can do. Only you know what you are capable of and you might find yourself surprised at what you can push through!

I started this off the couch as an overweight, out of shape smoker who hadn't done any exercise other than walking to the fridge for the dip to go with my chips in a number of years. After finishing Insanity I have quit smoking (I have gained and lost the same 5 pounds through this process) and have decided to start running. I was doing C25K but just recently changed to a 10K training program that runs along the same platform. For the first time in my life I can run (not fast) for 20 minutes (about 1.5 miles) without stopping to walk and catch my breath. I credit that to Insanity!

Give it the effort and you will get the results!
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I didn't even read your whole post, but the answer is YES!

It's a DVD...just do it at your pace, and your fitness level, and it will get easier over time! You don't have to be fit to do this! You may not keep up with those around you, or those on the DVD, but the point is to work, and get better. Just give it your best effort and it will pay off!
  • jaecamswin
    Options
    I'm on day 17 of insanity and my starting weight was 200. On the first fit test I didn't do that well..on the power jumps and suicides I got 1! I took the two week fit test this past sunday and my results were much better! I do the best I can and always focus on form-I'd hate to get hurt and not be able to do insanity at all. I've only lost 1-2 pounds (it's been flucuating) but I've lost about 2 inches so far. I haven't noticed any physical differences but I feel really good and I've been sleeping pretty well. You should keep it up, just do the best that you can!
  • srrose15
    srrose15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity and didn't see the results like I am now from Shaun T's newest workout Focus T25 - 25 mins a day 5 days a week - KILLER workout and AMAZING results - it takes half the time of Insanity but with better results!!! I have a group challenge starting in August using this program if you are interested in something quick and effective!!
  • MommyTo2Monsters
    Options
    This is the post I made after completing Insanity:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038467-i-completed-insanity

FORM IS VERY IMPORTANT during Insanity and every workout you do. It prevents injury and increases results. Any moves that feel awkward to you I recommend having someone watch you do it (not during the workout because a lot of times you're going fast and you're sweating and ourt of breath) and critique your form. Weight in my opinion has very little to do with "fitness". I ran a 5k in April with several people who were much smaller than me and they had trouble keeping up with me, but by that time I had been working out 6 days a week for 4 months and had lost about 30lbs. If you feel you need more time, give yourself more time. You need to be both physically and mentally prepared to start Insanity. It's a tough program to stick with but it's possible if you really want it! Good luck!

Congrats to you!!! I'm in week 6 of Insanity and I LOVE IT!!! I haven't lost much lbs wise but I can see a difference in my strength and endurance. And I"ve had people notice the changes in my body which is the biggest boost in confidence and motivation!!!!

PS....LOVE your Pats ticker!!!! Go Pats!
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    How much a person weighs really does not matter

Of course it matters! Do you think that if you carry extra 50-100-150 pounds and start jumping about for an hour a day every day your joints won't take the toll? Maybe not today, maybe not next month, but at some point you're going to feel it and it's going to be too late.

I'm 110lbs, I don't imagine doing Insanity wearing a 50lb weighted vest. I have cardio for hours, and a heart of a drought horse, but I plan to live over 60 and don't care to suffer from osteoarthrosis.
  • twentytwentythree
    twentytwentythree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyones tips, advice, and comments! I decided to attempt it anyway. I love a challenge, but my biggest downfall is that I'm a perfectionist. I just have to accept that I'm not going to be able to keep up with the people on the DVD yet, my form might not be absolutely perfect but I'm practicing and focusing on it which is what matters most, and I'm pushing through each workout even if I need to rest for a little longer and a little more often than the people on the dvd.

I've just completed my second day of insanity, and holy crap it was tough but I'm so proud that I'm not giving up so easily.
  • twentytwentythree
    Options
    I have done Insanity and didn't see the results like I am now from Shaun T's newest workout Focus T25 - 25 mins a day 5 days a week - KILLER workout and AMAZING results - it takes half the time of Insanity but with better results!!! I have a group challenge starting in August using this program if you are interested in something quick and effective!!

I'd love to complete insanity, regardless if I lose a ton of weight with it or not. I think it will help with my endurance and cardio which will only help me further in the long run. I'll have to check out his newest workout though!
  • twentytwentythree
    Options
    Insanity is no joke. It never gets easier, you get fitter! I lost 13 pounds doing it and about 26 inches overall in the 63 days. Here are some pointers/tips/advice...

1 - DO NOT attempt to keep up with the people in the DVDs. Most of them are trainers of some sort and have already completed the program AT LEAST once! They didn't start off at the level they are at in the DVDs and neither will anyone who starts for the first time. You are going to have to figure out what your max is every time you press play. Some days are going to be easier than others but the point is to push yourself to the limit. When you feel your body saying "no more" it's probably just your brain saying it so try to go another minute, or 2, or to the next break, etc.

2 - FORM OVER SPEED!!! If you don't pay any attention to perfecting your form you WILL injure yourself. It's better to go slower and safer than speed through, hurt yourself and be recovering for weeks!

3 - THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE!!! During the first month don't be surprised if the scale goes up a few pounds. It is typical of the majority. Most are going to shed the weight in the second month, the first month is simply setting you up to be able to do the second. Inches will come off fast, scale weight not so fast. There are some people who actually lose massive inches and no scale weight at all.

4 - Make sure you are eating enough!!! I can't stress how important this is. If you are following a 1200 cal diet you ARE NOT going to be able to finish the program. Likely you will land yourself in bed exhausted and sick this way. I would recommend a minimum of 1500 and eating back exercise calories. You are going to need every bit of energy your body can create from food.

5 - Remember, people can only give you advice based on their experiences, yours may be different. Do the best YOU can do. Only you know what you are capable of and you might find yourself surprised at what you can push through!

I started this off the couch as an overweight, out of shape smoker who hadn't done any exercise other than walking to the fridge for the dip to go with my chips in a number of years. After finishing Insanity I have quit smoking (I have gained and lost the same 5 pounds through this process) and have decided to start running. I was doing C25K but just recently changed to a 10K training program that runs along the same platform. For the first time in my life I can run (not fast) for 20 minutes (about 1.5 miles) without stopping to walk and catch my breath. I credit that to Insanity!

Give it the effort and you will get the results!

Thank you! All your tips and advice are really helpful.
  • megan020103
    Options
    I've completed Insanity twice. It is by far my favorite exercise for results. I would still do it if my toddler would allow me to without clinging to or running underneath my legs. I first did it after he was born - 6 weeks after my csection - as soon as I was cleared to exercise. I went from 150lbs (post pregnancy) to 115lbs during those 60 days. It will get easier as you do it (slightly - it is supposed to be tough).

I now do Les Mills classes at the gym - mainly because of the daycare! If I could, I would do Insanity again and again and again!
  • runningmary6
    runningmary6 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I got Insanity back in November and had started and stopped the program twice as it felt like too much. I figured I'd come back to it when I lost a bit of weight and felt stronger. So it sat there on the shelf for months and months. But Monday I started it up. This time with a month of working out and MFP under my belt. It's time! It's HARD. Really hard. But I made it through my 3rd day today. I understand how you feel. I am happy you are going to go for it. Just know you won't be perfect in the beginning and that's why we'll "push play" tomorrow and try it again. Every day you will get better. It won't ever be easy, but that's the Insanity of it I guess. Just be good to yourself. Lot's of great advice here in regards to doing this program. I hope to hear that you are doing well with this. We CAN do it!
  • PLHoyt
    PLHoyt Posts: 2
    Options
    I really needed to read this! :) I feel like I am struggling with it & I know I just started! But GEEEEEEEZZZZZ, I am exhausted halfway through the warm up!!! :(