Spagetti Squash or Butternut Squash Recipes?

Options
brittonymiller
brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
Hi all! I have heard so many good things about both spaghetti and butternut squashes. I just went grocery shopping and picked up one of each. I know I could find recipes online and most likely will if no one has any suggestions, but I was just wondering if there are any tried and true recipes that I should use. I want to make one of the two for dinner tonight. THANKS!

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like my butternut squash simply roasted with olive oil, salt & pepper. It sort of carmelizes in the oven and tastes amazing!

I also like my spaghetti squash very simple. Cut it in half, scoop out the insides place both halves face down in a tray with 1 inch of water and bake until soft (can't recall cooking itmes off the top of my head, but I think it takes approx 40 min at 350, but you may want to double check that. ) when it's down, you can scoop it out of the shell with a fork, that's what gives it it's spaghetti-like look. I put a little smart balance butter substitute and salt in it, mix and serve. Easy-Peasy!!! Oh, and keep the squash seeds for roasting, they make a delicious and healthy snack!

Edited to say, I think you can also microwave the spaghetti squash which cuts down a lot of the cooking time.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I make my butternut squash with a sprinkle of olive oil and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Bake at 350 covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes. Delicious!

I've never had spaghetti squash, but I want to try it soon!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Those recipes sound easy enough. I'm excited to try them.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I just had butternut squash last night!! I cooked it in the microwave, sliced in half, then cooked until it was soft.

I topped mine w/ cottage cheese (sounds weird I know, but it's good, I do the same thing w/ sweet potatoes). And cinnamon.

I'm so glad that I have leftovers! :bigsmile:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I did the spaghetti squash last night. Cut it in two lengthwise with a sharp knife and scoop out the seeds and goop. Rub the cut edges with EVO, poke a couple holes in the shell and put face down in a glass dish and bake 50-60 minutes at 350. It is done when you can push on the shell and it dents in. Give it a few minutes to cool off and scoop it out with a fork. You might want to scoop it onto a paper towel to absorb some of the excess liquid. I cut up some cooked chicken breast, tossed it on top and covered it with spaghetti sauce and a couple tablespoons of parm/romano cheese. Yummmy!
  • whendee05
    Options
    me and my little sis have been experimenting with spaghetti squash.(noodles lol)
    bake it like the previous post said. then get some laughing cow spreadable cheese wedges.
    whatever flavor you want...melt it and you can even stretch it with some lite or fat free sour cream.
    mix it with some of the "noodles" OMG it's like pasta! you will love it!
    my sis adds mushrooms and broccli
    its awesome!
  • jessiekay31
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes for spaghetti squash. I just make sure to drain the tomatoes and excess water from the squash after baking. So yummy!

Italian Turkey and Spaghetti Squash Pie from WW site

1 medium raw spaghetti squash
    1/2 pound(s) lean ground turkey
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion(s), chopped
    1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    29 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 tsp Italian seasoning, or more to taste
    6 oz fat-free ricotta cheese
    1 large egg(s)
    1 spray(s) cooking spray, nonstick
    1/2 cup(s) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350ºF. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. (You can cook it much faster in the microwave)

Meanwhile, cook turkey, stirring occasionally, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain, remove from skillet and set aside.

In a same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add cooked turkey and simmer, stirring often, until desired consistency, about 5 minutes.

Place ricotta and egg in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth.

Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Remove squash from oven and increase oven temperature to 375ºF.

Using a fork, carefully rake stringy squash pulp from shell, separating it into strands that look like spaghetti. Arrange spaghetti squash strands in bottom and up sides of pie plate to form a crust.

Add ricotta cheese mixture and gently spread over squash. Pour tomato-turkey sauce over cheese mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I prepare it and let it cool. at dice green and red peppers and blk olives. Toss with a light Italian dressing and sprinkle with Parmasan cheese