Zucchini Lasagna (also looking for similar recipes)

Options
joshkylewv
joshkylewv Posts: 5 Member
I really like Italian food, but can hardly ever think of a way of making it without all of the extra calories from the pasta. A friend sent me this one but it was all she had. Any other suggestions?

2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 2 medium)
1/2 lb lean ground beef (I use 1 lb.)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 small tomatoes, cut up
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese (or low fat or fat free ricotta)
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use 8 oz. divided)
1 teaspoon flour

1 - Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
2 - Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
3 - In small bowl slightly beat egg.
4 - Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
5 - In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
6 - Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
7 - Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
8 - Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 4 with 261 calories per serving.

Replies

• ddzubow
    ddzubow Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of ground beef you use, you could cut the calories even further by using ground turkey. You can still get great flavor using 93/7 ground turkey, especially considering all of the other flavors in the lasagna. The recipe sounds great though - definitely going to give it a whirl.
  • joshkylewv
    joshkylewv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't made it yet, but I'm planning on using the extra lean ground beef from Kroger. If I remember correctly it's 94/6 but I may be off by a few %.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I make zucchini lasagna, I replace the ricotta with a mixture of 2 cups fat-free plain Greek yogurt, a head of chopped broccoli, and a 1/2 cup of reduced-fat or fat free shredded mozzarella. It tastes really similar to ricotta and is so much healthier and full of protein!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything similar, but this sounds yummy!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html
    I really like this recipe. You can use other ground meat instead of sausage, if you prefer. I've made it with both ground beef and ground turkey. The last time I made it, I was too lazy to scoop out the zucchini, so I just chopped it into chunks, added extra onion and peppers, and made it more like a casserole.
  • CaitlinAmburn
    CaitlinAmburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love this! I generally make something similar using cabbage instead of zucchini. Its yummy!

1 cabbage, chopped
    1/2 lb extra lean hamburger
    1 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1 cup of low calorie tomato sauce
    1/4 cup cheese for the topping

I microwave my cabbage until soft. I brown the hamburger while waiting on the cabbage. I then layer all in a casserole dish and bake at 350 until cheese is melted and yummy! 160 for a large serving and it makes six servings! Yum!
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ooo that all sounds so good!
  • Mishinmite
    Mishinmite Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love this! I generally make something similar using cabbage instead of zucchini. Its yummy!

1 cabbage, chopped
    1/2 lb extra lean hamburger
    1 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1 cup of low calorie tomato sauce
    1/4 cup cheese for the topping

I microwave my cabbage until soft. I brown the hamburger while waiting on the cabbage. I then layer all in a casserole dish and bake at 350 until cheese is melted and yummy! 160 for a large serving and it makes six servings! Yum!

Sounds good. Can't wait to try it.
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The hairy bikers made a lasagna with rolled out leek replacing the pasta.
    You can check it out here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yum, add eggplant too,
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use the Jennie-o lean turkey Italian sausage in mine. Gives it a bit of a different flavor. Yummy
  • KaraLee69
    KaraLee69 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Zucchini or Zucchini Boats. I slice in half longwise, scoop out seeds. Pop in microwave for 2 to 3 mins per half to begin the cooking process. Mince couple cloves of garlic, chop onion and saute in some pam until tender. Mix in with your favorite sauce and cooked lean ground meat. Put zucchini boats in a 9X13, put sauce mixture in the hollowed out parts. Cover in mozzarella cheese (low fat if you prefer). Cover with foil, bake 350 for about 45 mins or until tender. YUM!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to try both of these recipes. I love zucchini and have a new found liking for cabbage.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yum!!!!
  • MaggieMaeB
    Options
    I've been making something similar only I use slices of eggplant and a ton of mushrooms - my husband loves it!
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make this one: http://goo.gl/GQNTDE

You ditch the pasta and substitute toasted nutrient dense bread (like an Ezekiel or whole wheat option). Definitely tastes delicious!
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sounds fabulous I'm going to try this - thank you!