Healthy camp foods

Options
Going camping this weekend. Super excited to show my son who is almost 4 what camping is all about.
I want to stay away from all the quick go to foods we usually eat when camping; hotdogs and hamburgers etc. Any suggestions on healthy camp friendly meals? I will have a tiny bbq and of course a fire.

Replies

• JustKimAMW
    JustKimAMW Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with burgers, IMO. We make our own using lean ground beef, oatmeal, and free run eggs. Good snacks to bring are fresh fruit,, and veggies. I wash and cut everything before we go, I even take the grapes off the vine. You could also pre cook and dice chicken and make wraps. Twice baked stuffed potatoes is super yummy. And farmer sausage...yummmm... Ok, now I'm just day dreaming of food. Lol!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    roasted corn, baked potatoes, yogurt, fruit, lunch meat sandwiches are a few I just went a few days ago and roasted apple and peach half's with butter and cin- sugar
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Wrap some chopped up potatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms in foil with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and toss them in them on the coals in your fire. Wrap up salmon fillets with onion and lemon slices with a little smear of butter, salt and pepper in foil and toss those on too.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    if you make a box oven you can cook all sorts of stuff!

do you have a camping skillet you are bringing? my girls always loved tacos in a bag, you can use ground turkey instead and season it, use all the taco veggies and toss it in a single serve bag of sun chips. om nom nom.

what about chicken sausage instead of hot dogs? a lot of them are cooked already so you can just heat it over the coals.

fruit is awesome snacks, pb and j sandwiches, flavored rice cakes or plain rice cakes with pb on them
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    BBQ some lean meat and throw on some zucchini spears marinated in italian dressing. Hotdog (buy a healthy one) on a stick and don't forget the 'smores. If you don't do a hotdog and 'smores, you're depriving that child of the full camping experience. Those 2 thongs can be, just for camping foods, if they're things you don't normally like. Shish-ka-bobs are good too. Take everything all cut-up from home and don't forget to soak the wooden skewers. Have fun!!! And make sure the little one has his own flashlight, he'll love flashing it around.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do you have those nifty campfire cookers? You can make individual hot pocket type things in the campfire? They aren't very expensive and I thought thy were a lifesaver! Kids made mini pizzas and quesadilla. I also roasted pears and apples. Used precooked chicken and made fajitas. Lots of ideas as healthy as you want!
  • AlMonkey
    AlMonkey Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    pre cook and shred some chicken breast and make quesadillas. sounds like a not very camp food but they get so amazingly crisp on a propane grill! veggie dogs are another hot dog alternative. nuts are a great snack, can just toss the shells into the fire.
  • chubbymommy34
    Options
    Lots of great ideas. Thanks so much guys :)
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    fresh caught fish if at all possible, if insisting on bringing the meat why not go with lamb kabab's spice things up a bit!