Water question

Options
When "they" say 8-10 glasses a day how big of a glass are they talking?
I drink bottles and there is 500ml in each. So far today I have had 5 and it is only 1pm.
Is that too much? Ok? Not enought?

Replies

• ambercole
    Options
    8oz glasses. 64 oz total. I drink a gallon of water everyday, so you're good.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It refers to 8 ounce glasses.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses a day is 8-8oz glasses. If you are drinking 500ml increments that is about 16oz, so so far today you have had 10 glasses. You generally don't need more than that. I try to drink that much per day. I believe it is possible to drink too much water, but usually that is some obscene amount which I am not sure what that amount is.
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is an EMT and he said whatever we weigh, we are suppose to drink half of that in oz of water!
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It is 8oz glasses. I have a hard time drinking all my water every day, so I buy crystal light and it's just the same as water. That way I get almost all of my water in.

Weight Watchers also said that a lot of fruit has water in it too, and can count towards your water intake. So if you areworried about getting it all in, then have some more fruit. Another side note. If you drink caffeinated beverages, they dehydrate you and you would need more water to counteract the caffeine (as least that's how I remember it).
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    1 glass is 8 ounces. I drink 16-20 a day so you should be fine :)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Ok so 64oz total a day is the recommended.

That works out to about 189 3ml and I have already had 2500 ml or 85oz.
    I gallon is 3,785ml and I will reach that by supper.
    So if I were to repeat what I had this morning I will have had about 5,000ml which is about 170 oz....is that too much?
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Is that too much? Ok? Not enought?

I would say ask your doctor, my doctor told me not to drink over 12 eight ounce (250 ml) of water a day because I was drinking too much and ended up with some serous health issues due to it. If you have any other "flu like" symptoms or unexplained cramps and exhaustion, you should go to you doctor. After seeing the doctor my health issues are better but if I don't watch my water intake I could end up doing it again.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    as far as how much you should drink, it all depends on your activity level and the type of weather.
    The rule is to take your weight, divided by two and drink that amount in oz. However, if you are super active and/or it is too hot and humid, you need more.
    Having said that, you need to make sure that you don't drink yourself to death. Remember that as you drink more water, you are diluting sodium in your body. The rule is that if you are active, to make sure that you take some electrolytes to replenish.
  • Texemgirl
    Options
    Hi!

How much water a person should drink depends on several factors. Here is a website that calculates how much water you should drink:

nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

One thing it doesn't address is caffeine. Per my doctor, for every ounce of caffeinated liquid I drink, I need to substract one ounce of water consumption because caffeine is a diruetic ... so I have to drink two ounces of water for every ounce of coffee, etc., in order to count one ounce of water. You should probably check with your doctor regarding this because it is controversial ... I also believe it might depend on how much caffeine is in your drink.