Too much protein???

Options
aim1127
aim1127 Posts: 15 Member
I keep going over my protein and not getting enough calories and some days very low on carbs. Is this ok?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fiber should be thought of as Minimum goals to reach rather than maximum if you're using MFP's numbers.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I noticed that MFP's automatic settings were giving me too low of a protein target for the amount of lifting I was doing, so I changed my goals manually.

Go to My Home, then Goals, and click on Change Goals
    Choose Custom
    Then adjust your macro %s (mine are 35% Carbs, 40% Protein, 25% Fat)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fiber should be thought of as Minimum goals to reach rather than maximum if you're using MFP's numbers.

...except if you go over 60g of fiber a day, you're gonna have a bad time...
  • aim1127
    Options
    I did change my goals to what a personal trainer suggested, 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. So my goals calculate to 155 carbs / 52 fat / 116 protein. I set my calories to 1550 + I workout 5x per week, earning ~260 workout calories (I'm doing super-sets followed by interval workouts on my treadmill and some days running my 5k.

I think I need a lot of help figuring this all out. Thank you for your feedback!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    since you're doing some quality resistance and interval training, I would start aiming for 40% protein. I've set my macros to 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.
  • aim1127
    Options
    Ok, I'm only on my 2nd week, so I'm going to try this for the rest of this week and then reassess. But now that I look at my numbers, I just might already be doing the 40% protein! :)
  • returnonetime
    returnonetime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are early on you wont have to worry too much with the fine tuning of the numbers if you are at a calorie deficit, and as you get on you will learn more about what works for you. But ye likely up the protein, drop the carbs, and fiddle that on training days.
  • aim1127
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback and knowledge!