Breastfeeding but trying to loose

Options
I know everyone says breastfeeding helps you loose the weight well yes to a certain degree. I have lost all my pre-preg weight with the exception of 5lbs but would like to loose an additional 25lbs. Not sure if the calorie counter was correct in the fact when BFing you need to have an additional 500 calories. :noway: :huh:

Replies

• amoore1227
    amoore1227 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've heard 500 calories too, but I'm sure its different for everyone.

It may take some trial and error, but you can probably find the right balance after a few weeks (how many calories you can consume to slowly lose weight but not feel starved and or affect milk production and so on.)

If I were you, I would focus on eating healthier foods first and foremost. I'm a new mom too, I lost all but 10 lbs or so without even trying while I was BFing. Now that I'm done BFing, I'm getting very serious about losing the rest!

Good luck!
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding as well. I add in my breastfeeding calories (I use around 450 a day), on top of my workouts and eating healthy. If I were you, I'd just focus on eating right and working out. Your supply won't diminish as long as you take care of yourself!
  • iowabelle
    Options
    Never having been a mother, I couldn't resist giving you advice! Seems to me that if you're breastfeeding, the priority is baby... so concentrate on quality nutrition for now and work with the 500 calories.

I used to read alot of women's history and I know that if the mother isn't getting enough calories and nutrients, the milk production will strip away what YOU need to feed the baby, so you're better off in the long term eating more calorie-wise to ensure your health and the baby's.

:) Congratulations!