Should I hire a trainer?

Options
Any thoughts? I think I pretty much have the eating thing down but when it comes to working out, I dont want to waste my time. I prefer to have someone teach me or maybe I can get some guidance from you all. I need to drop 25 pounds to be at my goal. I have an apple shaped figure, flat butt and flappy arms (from dropping weight and gaining and so on). My legs are probably the slimmest part of my body. But still room for improvement. Im 5'4" so im kinda short and not tight. lol Any trainers out there wanna take me on as your pet project? or any of you bad a$$es out there wanna show me whats up? AND by bad a$$es I mean those that have been there and done that. Its a total compliment.

Replies

• Beebee78
    Options
    I have a trainer - best investment ever - I am now into my third week and can honestly say I have fallen in love with exercise and even find it very easy to push myself when he's not around.

Lots of luck on your journey xxx
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have been with my trainer since Feb and it is the best investment I have ever had.
  • Simone12345
    Options
    I agree with the two previous posts. I hired a trainer about a month ago and I love it! I look forward to my sessions and have already noticed changes in my body within the first three weeks. I'm so glad I finally made the decision to do it after months of wondering whether or not to do it. Best of luck! :)
  • decemberg
    Options
    Trainers are great but they can get expensive. I like to use the classes at the gym. You get a class and also personal attention from the instructor if needed. They can also answer lots of questions if you have them.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have been a trainer for about a year now, and would be happy to share my insights on what the next step is anytime. Trainers are great, either in person or online. - Shoot me an email if you want more details anytime

Best of luck to you!!! Being fit is not as far away as it sometimes seems!

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Hello,
    I have a brilliant trainer. My body and fitness level has really changed in the 4 months I've had her, she has pushed me really hard, keeps changing things for me and it has given me masses of confidence when I use the gym on my own. I know my technique is right etc. I also agree that classes are great, and you do get help from the class leaders. Not all trainers are as good as others so I'd go with a personal recommendation too.

Gail x
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. If I hit the lotto tomorrow I would throw away my laundry, then hire her for life!! :laugh:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've been with my trainer for over 2 years, and I will continue for as long as I can. The level of fitness I've gotten to would not have been possible (because I need to be pushed) on my own.

Trainers are an investment, but they are totally worth it, in my book. Do research and talk to trainers before you hire one, to find one you can work with. If you get the right person, it will be a really rewarding relationship.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Trainers can be a wonderful tool.....take the time and talk to the people at the gym however and find the trainer that will be a good fit for you. I have been a runner and a coach. My father was a runner, wrestler, coach etc. I participate in numerous different athletic endeavors etc. My first experience with a trainer was odd. He was trying to tell me about free weights...I said I knew a bit about them as I have been lifting with my father for years and was working out with the power lifting team at my college until I had a fall down some icy stairs and had to take a break. He acted like all the history and knowledge was useless because he was trainer. By the end of our sessions we had a weird moment in which we finally figured out who each other was. My father had been his wrestling coach and had taught him all he knew about free weights...he was then embarassed to doubt my knowledge that I hd earned from my father. After that he listened to me and incorporated my knowledge and wishes and goals. Before recogizing one another I think he would have given me the "mom workout" I saw a lot of my friends doing.

I recently switched gyms. I refused to hire the trainer that seemed to miss that I was training for a marathon. He kept telling me I was running too much...well duh...I am training for a marathon. Another trainer overheard us and offered me some great tips later...I didn't hire him either as I can't afford it right now but I would pick the second trainer over the first in a heart beat.
  • snikki102
    Options
    Trainers are amazing. I have been trying to lose weight on my own but not able to.I have finally found a trainer who is inexpensive and comes to my house to wake me up at 8 am to get me to work out and start my day. I love it and I feel great.
  • snikki102
    Options
    Trainers are amazing. I have been trying to lose weight on my own but not able to.I have finally found a trainer who is inexpensive and comes to my house to wake me up at 8 am to get me to work out and start my day. I love it and I feel great.
  • snikki102
    Options
  • snikki102
    Options
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've noticed great improvements since I hired my trainer. Even my hubby, AKA cheapest man in the world, thinks I should renew the contract but I'm waiting to see if I can hack it on my own.
  • bellanean
    Options
    I have had a trainer since Febuary and I love it, but at $400 a month the love for it is no longer there. I have 23 paid sessions and then I think I need to take some months off :-(