Losing Weight is Hard

Options
Raiden091
Raiden091 Posts: 19 Member
Hey everybody,

I've been using MFP by myself for about 8 months and have never posted on these boards. After constantly going from binge eating and not recording my food to exercising, eating right, and recording, I figured it couldn't hurt to start reading/posting on here.

3 years ago I weighed 190 and was exercising 3-4 days a week. We have a health screening at work every spring, and the next year I weighed 210. Last year I weighed 225. This year I weighed in at a whopping 240. Just for reference I'm 5'11. The change seemed so gradual but there is a huge difference between pictures of myself now and 3 years ago.

My biggest issue is I can go a few days in a row of doing the right things and then wham, I'll drink a six pack and eat a pizza. Then the next day I'll feel like crap for overeating the day before and continue binging until I come back to eating healthy and exercising again. This has been going on for the last 3 years: intermittent healthy eating / exercising mixed with binge drinking and eating episodes.

So, here I am at 240 pounds, and I'm posting on here for the first time with a renewed focus and the hope that if I stop trying to do this alone I can finally succeed in changing my lifestyle for good. My goal is to get back to my healthy weight of 190 by next summer, not only for health and self image reasons, but that would put me under the maximum allowable weight for my height and make me eligible to apply for the Navy Reserve as a direct commission officer in my profession.

Anyway, that's enough about me. I'm really looking forward to contributing to these boards.

Replies

• peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to start. There are a lot of supportive people here.
  • Raiden091
    Options
    Anybody else had a problem with occasional binge eating and have a good fix??
  • carolijon
    carolijon Posts: 4
    Options
    Just reading 'The fast diet; The secret of fasting- lose weight, stay healthy, live longer; ' by Dr Michael Mosley. 2 fasting days of around 500 calories per week and eat normally for the other 5. carefully tho. The science of this plan is very interesting. 99p kindle copy.
  • doherty1977
    doherty1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's tthe story of my life!!! I'll do good and stick to being healthy for a short period of time, then BAM!!! I go on a binge and eat and eat and eat!!! I've now committed myself to following through with healthy eating and exercising. It's been a little over two weeks but this time I'm holding myself accountable more!!! Good luck with everything!
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    OP, this vid may help you.

It doesnt pertain to weight loss goals specifically, but can be used for ANYTHING

take over the craving thoughts that you body is telling you to fulfill, and replace it with the awesome frontal lobes ability to see and experience yourself as fit and how you want to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5737FSL-2K8
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    ...I agree, loosing weight is hard.

Hi everyone. I'm Christopher.

I am just starting to take my weigh loss journey seriously. I'm tired of being tired, and exhausted just for reaching for my remote to turn the TV on. (That was a joke, praise God it's not that bad.)

But in all seriousness, for my age and height, my weight has gotten out of control, (im 26yo/5'7"/ 320) and I am finding some will and some time to do something about it. I am tired of the fatigue and sick of the judgment, because my weight is not who I am.

Seeing as though I made the decision not to die when I reach 30, I have joined a local gym and am seeing where this journey takes me.

Be encouraged everyone! I know it's gonna be a loooooooooooong road ahead, but I have to start somewhere. If only I had this bright revelation 10 years ago......

Good day everyone!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    OP,

First, it sounds to me that you are quite determined to achieve your fitness goals, particularly since they are tied into a commision as an officer in the navy reserve.
    I can't speak directly to binge eating; except to recommend that you in your food diary track 1) trigger foods which could be based upon taste, texture, aroma, etc. and 2) your emotional state at the on set of the binge.
    There are some excellent resources here. I don't have the exact link but if you search here on "map to success" there's an excellent discussion on calculating your TDEE(total daily energy expenditure) and subtracting a 15% or 20% calorie deficit to come up with your daily calorie requirements.

I have a small and eclectric group of MFP buddies-- guys and gals, vegans and not, some around my age, some young enough to be "my kids." I think having a diverse group all dedicated to achieving fitness and health goals is quite helpful.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there my whole life.

It comes down to willpower, and it is very hard to sustain.

Here are some things I can share since my starting again April 19th 2013. I am now on the longest diet period I have ever sustained. 2 weeks ago I bought a gym membership and started going to the gym again, something I have not done in 20 years.

1) I suggest starting fitness in stages. I personally could not handle the stress of dieting and working out simultaneously. So first I tackled the diet. I worked on that for about 3 months until I started seeing a steady weight decline and was down 20 pounds. Then I started the exercising.

2) Track your food religiously by using this web site. You have to eat a calorie deficit.

3) You are going to be hungry. I'm sorry, I wish there was an answer to this, but there isn't. You can reduce hunger somewhat by eating a low-carb diet. This helps stop swings in blood sugar that can lead to crashes in blood sugar that cause you to feel ravenous. But for me, if I'm losing weight, I'm hungry. All. The. Time. Sometimes I go to bed early at night because I've eaten all my calories for the day and I'm so damn hungry I just want to go to bed to escape it.

4) If you are like me, you have probably derived much of your daily satisfaction in life from eating. Eating is not just for survival, it's a source of pleasure. That is going to have to change. Your relationship with food is going to have to change. You are going to have to approach food in a much less fun manner. In this regard, eating "clean" or low-carb is good because there are not many clean or low-carb foods that have the pleasure potential that foods like pizza or hamburgers or milkshakes are. When you switch your diet over to boring foods food becomes...boring. And that's a good thing.

5) You'll lose your first 10 pounds within 2-3 weeks. And then you will plateau for about a month and a half, which is a huge confidence-sapper and willpower-sapper. It makes you feel like you are wasting your effort and why are you suffering so much for no gain. You have to push through that. Your body figures out what is going on with the calorie deficit after about 2 weeks and slows down. You have to push through and after 6-8 weeks it gives up and starts burning the fat. Watch your reports and you will see it happen. But you have to stick to it. If you can make it 3 months, you've got it made.

6) I recommend weighing in every day. It's not terribly useful because your weight can fluctuate a few pounds every day. But it gives you a very fine granularity on your weight loss chart and I find it personally highly motivating and it helps keep me focused on the task of weight loss. Every day I get up eager to get on the scale and see if I have hit a new low. If it goes up it is depressing but it inspires me to drive it down again.

7) Get some "good" friends here on MFP. I purposefully sought out very fit friends as they are inspirations for me. But you also need friends that actively post on your status updates. It's not really important what they say - what is important is that you know they are watching you. I don't want to be a fatty disappointment in front of my fit MFP friends. This is one of my biggest motivators and the single biggest benefit I get out of this web site.

Steve
  • slimmer1972
    slimmer1972 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Raiden091 - sounds like you and I are very similar. When I left school I was at my fittest - 190lbs and in good shape. But then the sports I've played over the years and the injuries I've rec'd from them began to catch up. A bum-ankle here, a surgery to a shoulder there and it is hard to keep the activities up.

I gained roughly a pound a year. Then I got married and on honeymoon in the south of France I must have put on 10-15lbs in two weeks, even when we walked everywhere. Damn you, foie gras!

So now I'm 5' 10" and weigh in at 230lbs. I didn't really even "see" it until my wife grabbed my camera and tooks some pics of me with my son. I don't know how 40lbs sneaks up on a person, but it did.

So to answer your question - if you can't find a way to stop the binging, then make it a scheduled one. But don't cheat. Make it a Monday or Thursday Night Football Binge, or a Saturday and stick to it.
  • slwidener89
    Options
    Hi!

I have the exact same problem. And when I declared it to facebook in a fit of frustration one day, I found that so many of my friends did too. So first, know that you are not alone in this!

I don't have the magic formula, but I have found some things that really help me.

1) Don't go too extreme on my good days. Habbits like cutting my calories lower than my goal, working out past when my body was telling me to stop, and never indulging were setting me up for failure in a week or two. Now I make sure that I eat all my calories for the day, take rest days from exercise and have a small treat every once in a while.

2) Be intentional about indulging. Now I have a goal of 1-2 indulgences a week so I don't feel deprived. I only have a serving size and I pay attention to how it makes me feel when I'm eating it. Does it make me feel satisfied or just make me want to eat 12x more? If it's a trigger, then I try to avoid it and pick something more satisfying. Taking that moment to stop and assess can also prevent me from going into a tail spin.

3) When I feel myself slipping into a bad mindset, I take a moment and stop. I made a list of things I can do at that moment to prevent it. My list has things like:
    -Take a nap. (Being tired is the enemy)
    -Exercise
    -Eat a healthy meal
    -Call a friend
    -Check in with myself emotionally and name how I am feeling
    -Check in spiritually: pray, read, etc.
    -Take some time to relax in whatever way works for you
    -Journal

4) Forgive yourself. If you do go on a binge, wollowing in shame isn't going to help. Forgive yourself and start fresh.

I hope that this helps!
  • Raiden091
    Options
    Thanks for all the great posts! I think the two best takeaways so far for me are:

1) Plan a binge day once a week where I am allowed to eat over my daily average but not put me over for the week.
    2) Have a strategy when I feel like I want to eat the entire pantry... the best two things I've found (and a couple people posted about this) are to take a nap or do a quick exercise to get my mind off of it.

Keep the ideas coming!
  • pgrewing
    pgrewing Posts: 15
    Options
    I have a similar problem, and the only thing that seems to be working for me is to log all of my food, even when I binge. I usually find I didn't eat as many calories as I thought, and I can move forward the next day instead of waiting to start again next week, month, or whatever.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    When I started MFP there were three things I needed to wrap my head around.

1. Drink oceans of water

2. Learn to love salad. You could eat salad all day every day and stay under you calorie limit. And it's packed with nutrients to boot.

3. Lots and lots of protein so you get that feeling of having had enough to eat. My protein of choice is chicken and turkey.

4. Get a pedometer and do NOT go to bed until you got those 10,000 steps in.

You can do it!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The binge eating often can come from the all-or-nothing diet mentality. If you look at food as just fuel - nothing good about it; nothing bad about it; no foods off limits - and just figure out how much you need you can go from there.

Don't freak out and think, "Well as long as I'm going to have to eat food I don't like and be restricted, I'll go as hard at it as I can so it comes off fast and I don't have to do it for long." That's never going to work. Just figure out your expected maintenance calories and go from there. Set a goal to lose 1 lb/week... no more than that. Even to start you can set your goal to 1/2 a pound weekly so you get to eat more. Once you feel comfortable at that level, you can cut out a bit more to a 1 lb/week goal.

You don't have to restrict down to nothing to lose weight. It's not as hard as it seems.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Stop limiting your food choices - make your foods fit your caloric and macronutrient intake and then the binges can stop.