Clothes Shopping After Loss (women)

Options
I just went shopping after getting rid of all my cothes. I thought I would be super excited about shopping in the misses section and at regular stores. Instead I find it super intimidating. There so many more choices and I have no idea what stores I like. I'm so afraid I'll walk into a store meant for XS and S and have to leave because they do not have misses XL. I'm also not sure which ones are for elderly styles, juniors, career, outdoor, etc. I have been trying to check out stores online before going in to save me some embarrassment.
So I went to Belk, JC Penny, and Kohl's because I knew they would have a variety for everyone. I only found a few things, but just got overwhelmed with choices and what departments were what. I ended up going home disappointed. (This shopping ... leaving disappointed thing has been going on for two months!!) I finally ran across Dress Barn yesterday and the smaller store size helped so much. I found tons of nice things on the clearance rack. I am sooo relieved to have some clothes. I just never imagined I would find this stage of the weight loss so difficult.

Anyone else have any shopping experiences to share?

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I returned from Peace Corps 50 pounds lighter and with only two suitcases that included souvenirs and anything else I wanted to bring home--so limited clothes! I actually went shopping with a friend soon after arrival, and it was really helpful. She could take me to the "right" stores, and even encouraged me to buy smaller sizes than I was comfortable with. I still had a hard time with all of the choices coming from a country where it was hard to find anything at all, but my friend helped a lot...I really should thank her again :)
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely second the "intimidating" thing! lol I agree that it's hard to know where to start.

My primary feeling was as if I had previously belonged in a cage, and now I've been set loose! A pretty crazy feeling. But at the same time, I'm afraid of being "caught" and reprimanded and told to go back to my cage of plus sized clothes.

Anyways, these were some of the humorous thoughts that run through my head:
    "Um... Am I allowed in here? *internal eyebrow raise* People are just going to let me wander around wherever I want?!"
    "Really? I've been set loose to terrorize all of the Misses sections in town?! *internal evil laughter--no, just kidding* Are they sure about this?" lol

I don't really have a good solution to this, either. Great idea to look online, first! I didn't think of that. And I bet shopping with a friend whose style (and price range) you really like would help, too. I've been meaning to try that.

It's been a month or so, and I'm starting to adjust. Usually I just linger in the hallway of the mall and peek in the stores, slowly, for my "first pass". Then come back to one that looks like my style. And being transparent about my journey (and resultant confusion) with the sales people seems to really help. :)

At one store (I forget which), I walked in, and just said, "I'm just curious what sizes of jeans you carry, here". That seemed to work. No embarrassment of standing around trying to find the right thing only to discover they didn't carry 16's.

Another time, I went to The Buckle, and was just honest/transparent with the sales ladies that I had just lost weight and didn't know what size I was. They were really helpful, and gave me a lot of jeans to try on. (maybe too helpful--it was hard to escape without buying anything!)

Another thing that helped was when I went to a different mall than I've ever been to. And I realized that I couldn't possibly know what was were in each store, since I'd never been there. And I bet that happens to skinny-shoppers all the time at new malls. So it helped to know that I wasn't the only one stumbling around searching.

My biggest question is: Where to find good quality bras. I'm soooo used to shopping for them at Layne Bryant/Cacique, and I LOVE how well they are constructed. Great support, and very sturdy. I'm at a transitional size, and will be sad when I'll have a million more choices to try to weed through. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to find high quality and great support bras? (And hopefully not too expensive?) Although, as I lose weight, maybe the support question will be less of an issue.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I'm totally at a loss as to what size I am. I will bring four sizes of the same pants into the dressing room with me because I'm incapable of figuring out which ones will actually fit. And I've left stores without finding anything because I mentally can't try on a smaller size even when all the sizes that I'm trying on are too big, because it's ridiculous that I should be wearing that number. (The downside of vanity sizing.)

Always have a plan. Mine is to claim that I'm shopping for my daughter if I accidentally walk in somewhere skewed too young or too small for me. Of course nobody has ever said anything, but it's reassuring to be prepared.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

My biggest question is: Where to find good quality bras. I'm soooo used to shopping for them at Layne Bryant/Cacique, and I LOVE how well they are constructed. Great support, and very sturdy. I'm at a transitional size, and will be sad when I'll have a million more choices to try to weed through. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to find high quality and great support bras? (And hopefully not too expensive?) Although, as I lose weight, maybe the support question will be less of an issue.
    I definitely want to know this too. I've been shopping at Goodwill for regular clothes, but bras are a sticking point for me. I bought some relatively cheaper ones at JCPenny, and while they're nice looking, one of them is already developing a hole near the clasp! I might try some sports bras just to make it easier while I'm "in progress".
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you didn't find anything in Kohl's. It is usually my go to store. We also have a Burlington Outlet here but you need lots of time because it is huge and has lots of different stuff to plow thru.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I definitely want to know this too. I've been shopping at Goodwill for regular clothes, but bras are a sticking point for me. I bought some relatively cheaper ones at JCPenny, and while they're nice looking, one of them is already developing a hole near the clasp! I might try some sports bras just to make it easier while I'm "in progress".

Fredericks of Hollywood, I know they are more expensive, but they are made so much better quality. Catch them on sale, which happens pretty frequently and they carry bras from 32A up to 46G.

One other tip, stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls have the designer brand better quality bras without the designer price tags.
  • rc2paris
    rc2paris Posts: 26 Member
    Options

As far as bras go, I can help! Either Aerie, a Hanes store, or Victoria's Secret can provide you with bra fittings-then you'll be completely sure what bra size you wear. It makes it easier to shop when you know what you're looking for.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You ladies have NO idea what your posts have done for me today! I've been sagging motivationally for about a week and not exercising and not counting all my food...then I read these posts and started thinking about clothes. Oh, my gosh! There is NOTHING in my closet that I like, only things I wear to conceal my body. I've been wearing baggy sacks for so long, I don't even remember the thrill of looking and feeling great in a pair of jeans. Favorite colors? Forget it - my clothes look like the discount rack for funerals - all dark to "hide" my weight. Style? Not a chance.

Don't get me wrong - I've never been a clothes horse. In fact, now that I think of it, I've hated shopping for clothes for a long time. That is, for as long as I've been 60 lbs overweight! So, here I sit thinking about the humiliation of buying clothes that fit but that I hate. The racks of styleless sacks, the elastic waists, the "old lady" look that drags me down. Heaven help me!

So, forgive me for being off point a wee bit in my post here - but in between considering the original post and feeling sorry for myself, I remembered what it might possibly feel like to actually buy something because it's pretty or because I love the color or because it shows off my body. It's possible and I've rediscovered my motivation!

Thank you, one and all, and a sincere congrats on your weight loss!
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think you need to grab a friend and tell them what you are feeling and go shopping with them. Try on things - even if you are not sure. Be courageous about trying on things. You never know what you may find.

Shop for an event or a really awesome work outfit. having a goal in mind helps to lessen the burden of so much choice.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

If you know what size you need (You could always go somewhere else and get fitted then go home and order online) http://www.tiffanysbras.com/ is an AWESOME place to shop for bras. Much less expensive then I have found them in brick and mortar stores but still the same great quality bras. I mostly love it because I can find my size. When I am bigger it is actually easier to find bras as a larger cup size generally coordinates to a larger band - at this point I am a 36DD and it is a rare find. Even if I do stumble across one it looks like something my grandma would wear and always beige or white :( Here I have been able to find support, comfort and color.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just my 2-cents on the bra dilemma: I absolutely love Victoria's Secret Body By Victoria bras. I have been wearing them now for about 13 years. They are incredibly supportive, comfortable, and last a really long time. They are a bit more expensive but I find they last so long they are worth their money. Plus it's great when they have sales or coupons and that is usually when I stock up. Hope this helps!
  • reneeopruitt
    reneeopruitt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You ladies have made my night. I can still get bras at Lane Bryant because I am a 38DDD, but now I know I can go to Victoria's Secret for something besides perfume for the first time ever!! That's pretty awesome.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Just my 2-cents on the bra dilemma: I absolutely love Victoria's Secret Body By Victoria bras. I have been wearing them now for about 13 years. They are incredibly supportive, comfortable, and last a really long time. They are a bit more expensive but I find they last so long they are worth their money. Plus it's great when they have sales or coupons and that is usually when I stock up. Hope this helps!

Yep, only ones I wear. The perfect coverage ones.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I returned from Peace Corps 50 pounds lighter and with only two suitcases that included souvenirs and anything else I wanted to bring home--so limited clothes! I actually went shopping with a friend soon after arrival, and it was really helpful. She could take me to the "right" stores, and even encouraged me to buy smaller sizes than I was comfortable with. I still had a hard time with all of the choices coming from a country where it was hard to find anything at all, but my friend helped a lot...I really should thank her again :)

Oh you completed Peace Corps. Thats so awesome. Where did you go? What did you do? I'm so jealous, but that doesnt look like the path I'll be taking currently. Sigh

Oh and OP dont worry girl! Embrace it! Have fun with your clothes. When you shop look for outfits complete sets and imagine the personality you want to project. Maybe you want to project naughty librian, professional hippy, summer girl, anything just have fun! Look for colors and play with everything. Become one with that dressing room and be critical but not mean to yourself in the mirror. Imagine how youd do your make up or hair with this blouse or how this skirt will go with those shirts. Get the basics too you needs jeans, black slacks (if youre working), a couple nice skirts, tanks, jackets, shorts, and a few blouses. Oh and get some pretty panties and bras and a few nice foundational undergarments. Maybe it's time to bring the garter belt into your life. :tongue: Have fun it's just clothing you get to change it everyday and sometimes more.

PS hit a secondhand store if you can might get some nice basics there just to save your money for the fancier new stuff later on.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Go to Maurices, I see women of all ages/sizes there. The salespeople are very helpful. As for bras, if you have more weight to lose, buy an Ahh bra or a Genie bra (similar to a sports bra, and does a great job of smoothing out back fat).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh and to add I follow none of this advice I'm in this weird pregnancy limbo size. I lost weight and got to a smaller size, but those no longer fit and my too big pants I threw out all but 3 pairs and they are too big. I'm done to the bare minimum in clothes cant wait till I can dress myself again!
  • iamihobo
    iamihobo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have found that Khols is great, and Maurices

and also Cato which has both misses and plus size and they are pretty much the same styles in both. So there is no pressure about what size you need, you just walk to the other section and get what you want :)

Don't let the size overwhelm you. most clothes off the rack aren't going to justify how fabulous you look, everything generally should be tailored

:)

Enjoy your progress!
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Go to a large thrift store like Goodwill, Salvation Army or Savers. Pick out lots of clothing items in different styles and sizes. My daughter and I try on clothes for hours at Savers. You get a good idea of what size and style looks and feels good. Prices are great too especially if the clothes will be too big soon anyway.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Deal-a-day sites geared toward women like ideeli, zulily, and Beyond the Rack routinely have lots of awesome bras on sale for crazy cheap! Also, I've had luck at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, but that's after spending 45 minutes shuffling through the racks to find, not *a* 38DDD/E, but *the* 38DDD/E bra. I'd be more irritated about that if I wasn't getting such an awesome deal on it. Even if you fit in the stuff at Victoria's Secret, good bras are expensive!
  • mstissa02
    mstissa02 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post because I will at a lost whenever I go clothes shopping in my 'new' size. I definitely keep these stores in mind!