Should i keep dieting to lose weight or start bulking

Options
My beginning weight was 248 on Jan 7th and as of 7/31 I'm at 199.

Ok I need yalls opinion on this conversation I had with my friend while doin cardio alongside him. He told me I need to change my strength training routine because I only have about 5 weeks left of cutting weight before my body switches to holding onto weight. I had told him I wanted to lose 20 pounds more before bulking. He says during the fall and winter our bodies try to hold onto weight naturally. Should I start bulking soon instead of waiting to get down to 175?

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    First; your friend is an absolute moron

second; do what makes you happy - i dont advise bulking when you are above 15% bodyfat.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    First; your friend is an absolute moron

+1

From an evolutionary point of view. The human body is "wired" to hold onto calories for the proverbial "long, cold, hungry winter" where food isn't plentiful and we had not yet evolved into expert hunters.

Your friend has perverted this idea into "Our bodies hold onto weight in the winter". We are not bears. We do not hibernate. We do not hold on to weight seasonally.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist made this suggestion....

If i worked out for bulk while dieting... the working out will add muscle, which will crave fuel... which will make me eat more.... which could lead me to be upset then i dont see scale victories.

or i could go full cardio... diet like im supposed to... and see scale victories. get to a goal weight that isnt way thin... and then start bulking up.

Both roads lead to same place.... its all about your mentality during the trip.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Lift heavy weights with a strength training program and keep dieting to lose fat.

Get to 12% bf, slow bulk, same strength program.
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights with a strength training program and keep dieting to lose fat.

Sounds good. I believe I'm at 25% bf and I'm trying to get to 15% at least
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Definitely keep dieting then. And just lift HEAVY.

Google Strength programs such as 5x5 stronglifts etc
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

seconded