HIGH protein LOW calorie foods

Options
13»

Replies

• MABfit01
    MABfit01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Low calorie and high fiber= steamed cabbage! What about the protein powders, bars? Do they help?
  • dewdrops4life
    Options
    Wow. Trying to maintain the factual integrity of this place is really unpopular, it would appear. You know what? If you give out incorrect information, no matter the source - you are still wrong. If you are going to copy and paste stuff, at least make sure that what you are parroting is correct or fix it yourself when you repost it.

One is not expected to proof every single article we read. The information was generally correct, and still quite useable.
    This is just my opinion here, but you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

One would disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I caught that error with my 5 seconf glance I gave her post. Almost right isn't very useful. We have a guy in this same forum asking about brocolli with zero calories because someone put that in a DB entry here. People take for granted whatever other people post here, so it behooves us that try to inform to be as correct as possible. Sorry if that's not cool with you all but people get confused and start wondering if they need to track grams or milligrams and next thing you know they're eating 10 pounds of steak a day to get their protein intake.

While I agree with you that information should be factual, most of us are lowly human beings and count on other sources i.e.; articles we find online to educate us. If a person doesn't know the difference or care to know the difference, they wouldn't necessarily know some things are wrong.

In this case, someone asked a question, another person tried to be helpful and kind and searched for an answer for them. There's no foul play here and nobody was wrong except for the author of that article, apparently. Chillax :)
  • fisskn11
    fisskn11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good :) I'll for sure be making these
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    High protein (and fiber!!) foods to include in your rotation: beans and lentils (preferably dry varieties made by you, but canned if need be). Healthy, versatile and inexpensive. Eggs are a great "bang for your buck" in terms of protein-calories and cost, and also very versatile (I snack on boiled eggs and add slices to salads to bump up the protein for only an added 70-80 calories and ten cents or so each). As mentioned above, tuna and salmon, also shrimp. Obviously more expensive, but still lots of protein versus their calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Wow. Trying to maintain the factual integrity of this place is really unpopular, it would appear. You know what? If you give out incorrect information, no matter the source - you are still wrong. If you are going to copy and paste stuff, at least make sure that what you are parroting is correct or fix it yourself when you repost it.

One is not expected to proof every single article we read. The information was generally correct, and still quite useable.
    This is just my opinion here, but you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

One would disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I caught that error with my 5 seconf glance I gave her post. Almost right isn't very useful. We have a guy in this same forum asking about brocolli with zero calories because someone put that in a DB entry here. People take for granted whatever other people post here, so it behooves us that try to inform to be as correct as possible. Sorry if that's not cool with you all but people get confused and start wondering if they need to track grams or milligrams and next thing you know they're eating 10 pounds of steak a day to get their protein intake.

While I agree with you that information should be factual, most of us are lowly human beings and count on other sources i.e.; articles we find online to educate us. If a person doesn't know the difference or care to know the difference, they wouldn't necessarily know some things are wrong.

In this case, someone asked a question, another person tried to be helpful and kind and searched for an answer for them. There's no foul play here and nobody was wrong except for the author of that article, apparently. Chillax :)

I would generally agree with you. I would also say, when an inaccuracy is pointed out, an appropriate response would be, " gee, I missed that. Good catch! Thanks." As opposed to "I didn't write it." There is enough misinformation that get's spread around here as it is. Also, I am in complete agreement that Livestrong is one of the worst and most inaccurate sources out there!

OP, foods that are purely protein are 4 cals per gram, as has been pointed. The additional calories come from whatever fat and carbs are contained. Food that have the lowest amount of these are best. Fish, white meat chicken, whey protein powder, lean meats.
  • rae_rae330
    rae_rae330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • drewbert23
    Options
    I know I don't like egg whites by itself, however I have for breakfast half a 100% whole wheat bagel, 3 egg whites, 1 table spoon of shredded low fat cheddar cheese, and 2 oz of deli turkey. That alone is 153 calories and 13.8g protein! Lunch is 1 cup of 50/50 spring mix and spinach, 4 oz of chicken breast, 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese, 2 teaspoons of diced egg, 2 teaspoons of sunflower seeds, 3 teaspoons black olives, 2 whole wheat crackers for croutons, Walden Farms calorie free dressing and 12 oz of skim milk. Dinner would be 2 whole wheat tortillas, 2 teaspoons of sour cream (one each tortilla), 4 oz diced chicken breast (2oz each tortilla) 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella (one per tortilla) and 1 full romaine leaf (half for each). I am on a cal restricted diet and coming up with 1200-1300 calories a day without going over is tough, but it can be done! I chew gum or suck on sugar free candies to stop myself from grazing all day long. I also have 2 snacks a day, usually a medium red apple and a Belvita package. Hope this gives you some ideas!
  • jesicamcclure
    Options
    Protein Cupcakes/Muffins

Recipe makes 6 cupcakes/muffins.

Ingredients:

¼ cup Egg Beaters all-natural egg whites
    1 scoop Bluebonnet Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate
    2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tbsp whole ground flaxseed meal
    ¼ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 tbsp Hershey's natural unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 pkts Stevia
    ½ very ripe banana, mashed
    ¼ tsp baking powder

Preparation:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
    2. Blend everything well in a mixer.
    3. Scoop batter into cupcake/muffin pan lined with cupcake/muffin cups.
    4. Bake for 20 mins.
    5. Let cool for 10 mins.
    6. Eat your heart out and flex.

Nutritional Info (for the entire lot, NOT just 1 cupcake):
    Calories: 333
    Carbs: 30 g
    Protein: 42 g
    Fiber: 7 g
    Fat: 8 g
    Sodium: 419 mg

Oh, I like! Thanks!!!
  • suerosec
    suerosec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sounds like JayByrd107 has the "hots" for coliemarieale!! lol
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Broccoli actually has more protein per calorie than beef!
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What a pratt!!!!!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    fat free greek yogurt, lowfat or fat free cottage cheese, reduced fat cheeses, lean meats such as chicken or turkey, protein powder...etc.
  • Savannah_416
    Options
    Unfortunately, this is actually an untrue meme that has spread itself across the internet. You would have to eat 9 1/2 cups (!) of broccoli to get the same amount of protein in just 4 oz of steak. Further, protein in steak is different from protein found in broccoli, the former has all the amino acids humans need while broccoli doesn't. It's an incomplete protein source--still good, but I think you have to eat 18 cups (!!) of broccoli to get the same amino acid profile found in 4oz of steak.

The link I provide below is for a blog entry that does a great job of explaining this, but a word of warning--the blogger seems unnecessarily irate at the popularity of this meme so is quite ranty and crabby in his post (aka. Like half the internet, lol).

http://eathropology.com/2013/04/08/broccoli-has-more-protein-than-steak-and-other-crap/
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This may be the dumbest statement I've read on here. And that's going some! Seriously??
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good recipes of foods that are high in protein and low in calorie (other than egg whites LOL)
    Please post :smile: :happy:

it can be anything!

Many good examples here. For whole foods in general if it used to run, swim or fly eat it. Love salmon, shellfish lean beef, venison.
    My personal go to is protein powder (Isagenix) as the cleanest, cheapest, most convenient meal replacement. Serving = 240 calories, 24 - 36 g of protein, 8 g of dietary fiber (keeps you full), 11 g of sugar (fructose from pears) so low glycemic and 6 g of healthy fat. Nothing artificial, non-GMO so socially responsible as well if you care about that. Less than $3 a meal. My diary is public.
  • brymarks
    brymarks Posts: 1
    Options
    You can be nice about it. Just say something like, you mentioned mg, but I am pretty sure that should be grams. don't use words like pathetic or attack the poster. Just be nice and correct the information.
  • gangel27
    gangel27 Posts: 1
    Options
    We have Taco Tuesdays changing the protein week to week. Last week was chicken breast, this week is 88% lean ground beef, or lean steak. We often add bell pepper to the meat. Easy as it can be, for the chicken breasts I season them with garlic powder, ground cumin,chili powder, dry basil and/or oregano and paprika. Cook over medium heat using a spray like Pam. When they are cooked, remove from pan and cut in very thin slices, put them back in the pan with some green enchilada sauce for extra flavor, do the same if you use a steak. Serve with diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lettuce, low fat sour cream and shredded cheese. You do the same with the beef except you don't have to remove and slice. Great with black bean salad, rinse the beans, add chopped onion, and parsley. Dress with a small amount of olive oil and lemon juice. You can often find low fat tortilla's too.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is not a crazy chemical.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Quick choice......Milk, skim or 1%........16G protein for around 200 cals. (2 cups)
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    My vote is always seitan if you can have gluten. The recipe I use (can't post, sorry, from a cookbook) has 22g protein for 163 calories, but there's plenty of recipes out there. Also sprinkling nutritional yeast on things for a protein boost, it's 9 g protein for 80 cal (2 or 3 tablespoons, I forget which)

Tofu - not plain (yuck) but in recipes like scrambles.

Lentils - cook up dry lentils with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin & chili powder. Add salt if you're OK with salt. I usually add some olive oil to get my fat in but it's not needed for taste.