So, how 'bout that 5:2 diet...?

Options
I am starting to think about long-term maintenance and toning and am a fan of the 5:2 plan. But will it be possible to continue with the plan without losing weight (or gainig it)? For example, if I were to require 1350 calories a day to maintain my weight, and two days of the week I ate about 600 calories a day, would I simply spread the uneaten calories over the other five days? Would the drastic increase in calories over those five days cause weight gain? I really want to get the health benefits of fasting without losing or gaining more weight (unless it's muscle!).
Also, I'm still going to be working out and eating back the calories to build muscle, which is why I'm more cautious to up my caloric intake on the other five days.
The way I figured, with workouts included, two of the five days were around 2000 calories, which kind of scares me, to be honest. I am used to being full on 1200, so I guess I'd have to pig out (healthily, of course). Could be fun, actually, if it doesn't cause weight gain or loss.
Essentially, it comes down to this: do calories counted weekly yield the same results as those counted daily?

Thanks for your two cents, and if you have any references for your answers, please include. :)

Replies

• Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In the 5:2 book by Michael Mosley it suggests when you have reached your goal like Michael you change to 6:1 and I note some on here change between 6:1 and 5:2 if weight gain occurs. Maybe I misunderstood you did I answer the question?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A

Watch that video. Will explain everything in 6 mins & trust me you will totally get it then.

I'm on my 3rd fast day...I'm doing 4:3 instead...same idea just fasting every 3rd day.
  • cabcab12345
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! I think I get the general idea. But still, does he suggest eating more on the on days? I don't see how not doing so could result in anything but a deficit.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I think the general idea is to eat what you like, you wont want to pig out. it kinda just forces you to really appreciate what you do eat more. I know after a fast day I don't eat junk stuff & I'm more willing to just eat without worrying. 2000 cals is about the norm for a non fast day..... but eat at maintain cals & you will be fine, your in a deficit on the fasting days anyway. 500 for women & 600 for me on those days. Water is allowed & recommended. :)