I Miss Medium Shirts

Options
Hey guys! I am new here and figured I'd go beyond just entering calories in my app to posting and making friends and getting support. Don't wanna yo-yo this thing, you know?

I'm 28 years old and have been chubby since senior year of high school. At first, not so bad, but since my mid 20's, I've usually fluctuated between 203-213. In the past year, I ballooned up to 224. I hate always being sweaty, uncomfortable, lazy and tired. And it ruins your weekends when you struggle to find nice-fitting clothes for an hour.

My daily life has usually been: eat no breakfast, smoke, work 8-5 in a desk chair staring at a computer all day, go for a footlong at Subway (plus chips and regular soda) at lunch, come home and watch TV the rest of the night with 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers, large fries and a regular soda. I have ALWAYS eaten until I'm miserable. Get no exercise, drink barely any water and spend most of the weekend drinking beer with friends. I'm sure that routine grosses a lot of you out!

Well, when I reached 224 about 6 weeks ago (my heaviest), I decided it was time to get in shape, lose weight and be active. I wanna be healthy and I wanna be smaller. I miss medium shirts!

6 weeks ago, I began my weight loss cutting calories with the Lose It app. I somehow stumbled upon MyFitnessPal and loved it.

I began watching what I ate diligently and putting in every calorie. I started drinking more water and low-calorie sports drinks, cutting out regular sodas. I usually have maybe 3 12 oz diet sodas a day at max. I started C25K and am now on Week 3. I'm also doing Jillian's Ripped in 30 on my C25K days off. I ride my bike a couple times a week and I'm moving around more at home instead of plopped on the couch at night. I still have my weekends out with friends and drink some, but I've substituted most beers for vodka sodas.

6 weeks ago I was 224 and today I am 214. I know it's not a ton, but I love the progress so far! I'm actually looking forward to working out after work!

Aside from the weight loss stuff, I play music, do graphic design, and geek out on comics, toys, records, movies and TV.

Nice to meet you all and hopefully this wasn't the longest, most boring intro!

P.S. Figuring out calorie intake is hard! I'm still so confused about what I should be eating!

Replies

• itsscottwilder
    Options
    You're doing great!

As long as you're within your calorie goals, eat what you like.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!

^True! If anyone tells you what you can or cannot eat ignore them. Just hit your calorie goal, make sure it's not too low or too high and you'll be ok.

Check this out to work out how much you should eat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • theslimapple
    theslimapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can browse successful people's open diaries for meal ideas. Keep at it, you seem to be headed in the right direction.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!

• bradleyglick
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys!

Yeah, I got super confused as this app told me 1400 calories and most calculators have told me like 2400. I've set my calorie goal to 1970 and I usually eat a little under. Sometimes I get hungry easily, but I think that's my body getting used to not stuffing itself for every meal, every day. I'll keep to this for a bit and maybe change it to more if I feel that's necessary.

Glad to be here!
  • goredo
    goredo Posts: 1
    Options
    The only major change that I have done is for breakfast I just make myself a smoothie with a piece of wheat toast and a tbs of organic peanut butter. Its worked for me so far, and of course work out a few times a week.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bradley, I was always craving SOMETHING to eat, even when I was full. I looked up "Craving" on the Internet, and read that sometimes we crave the foods to which we have allergies. I'd be happy to discuss this with you.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    sending you a friend request.
  • lolleo
    lolleo Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey Bradley,

I'm new to this but can make a lot of comparisons with my lifestyle and what you have described. I'll send you a friend request when I figure out how to do it! :)