starving after working out

Options
I am sooooo hungry after my workout. does anyone have any ideas on the best things to eat at this time. Is anyone else the same after a workout?

Replies

• brittanybaby87
    brittanybaby87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    According to my meal and exercise plan a recovery drink is the best thing to have after a workout...The one I drink has a cup of soy milk, a cup or frozen berries, and a scoop of a protein powder in my case soy protein. I've also heard some people say they drink chocolate milk...
  • ash19833
    Options
    ill maybe give that a try. im drinking meal replacements shakes within my diet. but i might try keeping them till after ive worked out and see if it helps. thank you :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've gotten into the habit of keeping a stash of protein bars in my car. I eat one as soon as I get out to my car after my workout.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You must live where it's cool. If I kept protein bars in my car, I think they would melt.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I always exercise first thing in the morning about 5:30am. I get home about 6:30 and feel like I eat continually till about 9:30. I finf this usally keeps the hunger away. when I get home I have a banana and a protein shake. Then between 7:30 and 8 I have either a 3 egg omlete, (1 whole egg and 2 egg whites) which mushrooms and spinach leaves this will depend on how organised I am with the family, if I'm running short of time I'll have a bowl of low fat muesli. Then when I get to work about 9am I'll have a small box of nuts about 30g. I find the weekends the hardest as don't have this routine and seem to get more hungry. Not sure if this helps but it works for me.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Good lean protein and recovery carbs :-) depending on what time of the day it is there and what exercise you've done :-)
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shake meals? Do you mind sharing which ones? I only ask because if you look at he nutritional information you'll probably find that they're just full of sugar and crap. Eating healthier cleaner foods will drop the weight off quicker and more healthily :-)

My day goes something a lil like this:

Brekkie: Overnight oats
    Morning Tea: High protein snack or meal with good fats i.e. veggie slice, clean mini pancakes, boiled eggs, nuts
    Lunch: Lean meat with veg or salad (little bit of brown rice or quinoa)
    Afternoon Tea: pre workout meal: rye bread with cottage cheese and banana or rye crispibread with the same or natural peanut butter or ABC spread, or scrambled egg on rye toast (if within an hour exercise just a banana)
    Dinner: whey protein powder with dinner which is lean meat, veg or salad with a good carb like brown rice, quinoa a rye wrap, sweet potato
    Dessert: something yummy and clean that I usually bake on the weekend or a Quest protein bar with strawberries.

I'm only telling you this because I have done all the meal replAcement diets but hadn't truly been successful until I realised eating lots of the right nutritious foods over a period of time combined with exercise is the only real lifestyle change solution.

Good luck with it all
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time... I normally nibble on my personal trail mix (unsalted pretzels, unsalted dry roasted nuts, cheerios, cheezits, almonds and walnuts. One or two handfuls usually does it (I estimate 150cals). Other times I snack on watermelon or salads. :tongue: :tongue:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    You must live where it's cool. If I kept protein bars in my car, I think they would melt.

nope! I have a soft side lunch bag that I keep them in. Occasionally they will be a little soft, but not horribly so. In the winter I will probably throw them in my gym bag so they don't freeze.