how do I toughen up?

I find that now I am a skinny(ish) bint there are one or two drawbacks. Now, I would never want to go back to where I was - so much better like this, and I am learning to live with seriously feeling the cold. The other problem I am finding is my skin seems to be really thin - I know that sounds nuts but if I do planks my elbows graze really easily, and I always have grazes around my tailbone from sit ups, and even after several months kettlebells always take skin with them! I know I'm been a bit of a girl. I'm not normally too bothered about my appearance but we have a couple of family weddings next month and I'd like to be able to show off my new body - without grazed elbows. Any suggestions - beyond 'avoid those exercises' or 'belt up'!

Replies

• norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    I would check with your doctor. It might be a vitamin deficiency. Or maybe you're being more rough with your body than you realize.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Wear something that protects your elbows or put something softer under them. I would suggest elbow pads,but that almost seems a little silly. Best of luck to you!
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    A towel for padding will help greatly. Do you have sensitive skin? It might help to moisturize
  • I'd also suggest making sure you don't have a vitamin deficiency.

Also, stop doing sit ups - they're a worthless exercise that barely works the abdominals and just gives you butt-pain.

Beyond that, try wearing an under armor style long sleeve shirt maybe, and gloves if needed.
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Seriously if you are skinny enough to bruise from things like that you really should eat a lot more!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I find that I have to watch my macros to make sure I am balancing them to get enough protein. I also eat bright colored veggies every day. (Bright Green, red and yellow) . And Drink my water. Lay off sugar.

I find that the quality of my calories really impacts my skin condition. I had horrible rough scaly scabby shins.. I lost the extra 46 pounds, laid off the refined sugar and carbs, but still get my carbs from greek yogurt and bananas and avocados. My skin at age 54 is better than it has been in years. scaby scaley shins are gone!

Sleep is my friend as well.

Good luck, and ask your doctor how best to address "thin skin".
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Seriously if you are skinny enough to bruise from things like that you really should eat a lot more!

wish it was this! I am still top end of normal so don't think so.

Thanks for others suggestions people.
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member

wish it was this! I am still top end of normal so don't think so.

Thanks for others suggestions people.

Beat the *kitten* out of a punch bag a few times a week, punches kicks, elbows, knees everything. You'll soon toughen up. :)
  • Brummig
    Thanks Magnum 26 - I'll keep thumping things - and wear long sleeves.

pkw58 - wish sleep was my friend, I don't seem to need much these days. My skin was always pretty rubbish, and sadly hasn't improved much on my face, although the dry scaly skin has gone from tops of my arms - that might be because they get exposed to daylight now rather than always being hidden under a cardi.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    When dietary deficiency was mentioned, you responded by saying your weight is above the healthy range.... not by saying that you eat loads... you need to look at what you're actually putting in your body at the present time, not how much fat you still have left to lose. Body fat gives you energy if you eat less than you burn off, but it doesn't give you protein or vitamins. No-one can live off their body fat alone and stay healthy. It helps you survive a food shortage but if someone is eating nothing, their body will not be functioning well, even if they have a lot of fat. It will take that much longer for them to starve to death, but they won't be healthy while they're not eating properly. Also, the body needs a wide range of nutrients, so someone could be eating too many calories overall and be obese, but not getting enough protein, vitamins or minerals, and they will suffer nutritional deficiencies. So it's not impossible that it could be due to not eating enough, or not eating enough of certain food groups, just because you're not yet in the healthy range for BMI.

Vitamin C deficiency causes you to bruise and get cut easily.... although that's pretty rare as you'd have to be eating no fresh fruit or veg at all to get low enough levels of vitamin C to cause those problems. Other nutritional deficiencies may be an issue, or it could be due to an underlying medical issue. I'd advise you to see your doctor who can check for vitamin deficiencies and anything else that might be causing these symptoms. I don't think at all that it's due to you being not tough. Something's not working right if you're bruising and bleeding that easily.

Deficiency in essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins is common among people trying to lose weight, due to the prevalent myth that fat is bad for you and people trying to cut all fat out of their diet... if you're on a low fat diet, then I'd definitely advise switching to balanced macros, e.g. 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat, and making sure the fat you eat comes from very nutritious fatty foods, like nuts, avocados, full fat dairy, egg yolks, oily fish, etc, because these are higher in EFAs and fat soluble vitamins.
  • Brummig
    When dietary deficiency was mentioned, you responded by saying your weight is above the healthy range.... not by saying that you eat loads... you need to look at what you're actually putting in your body at the present time, not how much fat you still have left to lose. Body fat gives you energy if you eat less than you burn off, but it doesn't give you protein or vitamins. No-one can live off their body fat alone and stay healthy. It helps you survive a food shortage but if someone is eating nothing, their body will not be functioning well, even if they have a lot of fat. It will take that much longer for them to starve to death, but they won't be healthy while they're not eating properly. Also, the body needs a wide range of nutrients, so someone could be eating too many calories overall and be obese, but not getting enough protein, vitamins or minerals, and they will suffer nutritional deficiencies. So it's not impossible that it could be due to not eating enough, or not eating enough of certain food groups, just because you're not yet in the healthy range for BMI.

Vitamin C deficiency causes you to bruise and get cut easily.... although that's pretty rare as you'd have to be eating no fresh fruit or veg at all to get low enough levels of vitamin C to cause those problems. Other nutritional deficiencies may be an issue, or it could be due to an underlying medical issue. I'd advise you to see your doctor who can check for vitamin deficiencies and anything else that might be causing these symptoms. I don't think at all that it's due to you being not tough. Something's not working right if you're bruising and bleeding that easily.

I eat LOADS of fruit and veg so shouldn't be this one.

Deficiency in essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins is common among people trying to lose weight, due to the prevalent myth that fat is bad for you and people trying to cut all fat out of their diet... if you're on a low fat diet, then I'd definitely advise switching to balanced macros, e.g. 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat, and making sure the fat you eat comes from very nutritious fatty foods, like nuts, avocados, full fat dairy, egg yolks, oily fish, etc, because these are higher in EFAs and fat soluble vitamins.

This is interesting. I guess I have been told for so long that full fat is bad (I had high chlorestoral and high blood pressure before I started losing weight 4 yrs ago), I forget that some fats have a good function too. I don't think of it as a low fat diet any more, but I only have low fat spread, use unsweetened soya milk (any only in cereal), and only have small amounts of cheese. Add to that I'm a picky vege so no oily fish, don't like nuts or avacados and I'm not doing too well really!

I am also in early menopause I think so don't know if that's a factor.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

I eat LOADS of fruit and veg so shouldn't be this one.

This is interesting. I guess I have been told for so long that full fat is bad (I had high chlorestoral and high blood pressure before I started losing weight 4 yrs ago), I forget that some fats have a good function too. I don't think of it as a low fat diet any more, but I only have low fat spread, use unsweetened soya milk (any only in cereal), and only have small amounts of cheese. Add to that I'm a picky vege so no oily fish, don't like nuts or avacados and I'm not doing too well really!

I am also in early menopause I think so don't know if that's a factor.

that could be a factor... but if you've eaten very little fat for a long time, that's most likely to be the mainn cause. It's a good idea to slowly increase the amount of fat you eat, as if you go from very low fat to eating a high fat meal it can make you feel really sick as your body's not used to eating a lot of fat. Are there any kinds of fats that you do like? What about salad dressings with olive oil? Also, most health food stores sell healthy oil blends, some with fish oil, some suitable for vegans, you can make it into salad dressing, drizzle it on food or just choke down a spoonful of it. Also you can get capsules of EFAs as supplements.

this whole fat = bad myth is a big problem, because people need fat in the diet... fat is very calorie dense, so it's really easy to eat too much fat if you're not careful about portion sizes, so it can cause obesity and contribute to metabolic diseases if you're eating too much of the wrong kinds, but it's not bad in and of itself. Even if high cholesterol is an issue, the right kind of fats can help to lower the levels of bad cholesterol in the blood, and raise the levels of good cholesterol. You could get an appointment with a dietician, to get advice about increasing the amount of healthy fats in your diet while keeping your cholesterol levels in the healthy range.
  • Brummig
    the cholesterol is no longer a big issue after the big changes in my diet, same with the blood pressure - so happy when GP said I no longer needed those meds!

I'll try and find ways to increase those good fats without adding too many calories.