How am I going to eat that much food??

Options
Hi All, I'm new to MFP. I'm currently on day 11 of Insanity, which I chose to do to boost my metabolism, burn fat and for conditioning. I'm just over a stone overweight which happened as I've had a crazy schedule for the last three years and so stopped eating properly, i.e. not consuming enough calories. This has meant that my body has been in starvation mode for the last three years which in turn means I put on weight very easily due to a very sluggish metabolism.

I don't want to ruin my chances of weight loss with Insanity so I'm determined to get my body out of this mode - it's ridiculous that I should be overweight as I hardly eat - which I now know is very unhealthy. I've calculated (using the guide in the Insanity pack) that with the 6 day a week workouts in I need to eat 1,749 cals to lose weight.

As I'm so used to eating around 600-700 calories a day (sometimes a bit more sometimes less) I can't get my head around eating 1,750 calories a day! I haven't eaten that much in - well I'm not sure I ever have! I have really long and busy days at work and Insanity suggests eating 5 times a day - which I just can't see how I'm going to fit in.

So with the fear of piling on weight while I get out of starvation mode I'm also wondering how I'm going to get that amount of calories in and eating 5 times a day, which I'm used to generally having one a meal a day. I really need to get out of this cycle.

I'm 37 years of age, 5' 2.5" and 155lbs. Started Insanity 11 days ago at 159lbs so have dropped 4lbs to date.

Anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance :happy:

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time when I started on MFP. I was not eating a lot and was drinking my calories (Mmmm Starbucks). My doctor made me decrease my coffee intake and that reduced my calories. I found that slowly bumping my calories up was the easiest way. Eat high calorie foods like nuts, avocados and other proteins. This isn't a race so take your time and adjust your eating so you can do this for life. I've spent the last 2 months working on it.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of calorie dense food: nuts, use oils in cooking, small amounts of cheese, dried fruit, full fat milk etc. 30g of almonds will net you close to 170 calories, so there's a solid start.

Also.... There's nothing wrong with having the odd slice of cake as long as you can keep it all under moderation. :)
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you're not able to eat often during the day, make the times that you actually DO get to eat count. Fill those meals with calorie dense foods... peanut butter, almonds, olive oil, etc. With the crazy burn you're putting your body through doing insanity, you NEED to fuel your muscles with food to allow them the energy they need to rebuild and get stronger. If you don't eat, you will see zero results from Insanity, which would make me really mad having put in all that effort and seeing no results.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1000 calories for dinner, so I have a hard time relating to this.

I would recommend increasing your calories from 800 to 900 for a week and then 900 to 1000 ....This should really not be that hard..I mean one steak has 500to700 calories in it and that is one meal ...

If you had a filet mignon and roasted potatoes for dinner that would be at least a 600 cal dinner..

four eggs and some olive oil is like 400 cal breakfast...

It sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food and might need some kind of help..
  • Jeweller76
    Options
    Ah yes, high calorie foods sounds like a good idea. I guess i can buy packets of nuts which I can snack on at work. I really do want to stick, as closely as possible to the 5 times a day eating as Insanity suggests, rather than eating higher calorie meals 3 times a day. Thanks for the advice guys. Anymore would greatly appreciated :happy:
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid you can't eat your daily amount of calories, drink them.
    People usually drink faster than they eat. So, you have time to consume more before your body sends you cues of fullness.
    This is why mostly a great weight loss tip is to not drink your calories and stick to water and tea.

But, in your case, drinking shakes and smoothies might help you out.

Because when I say "Drink your calories", I don't mean drink soda. I mean drink smoothies, so at least those calories will have some nutritious values. My favorite recipe gives me 2 portions of fruits, 2 portions of veggies, a bit over a portion of dairy and some extra protein :

1 cup of raspberries
    1 cup of baby leaves spinach
    1 cup of plain yogurt 2%
    1 scoop of vanilla or chocolate flavored whey protein
    Blend to desired consistency

Hope it helps!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I nibble throughout the day too. I agree with the others that snacks that are calorie rich, but healthy is the way to go. Also, don't try to eat 1,700 in the first day. That's a set-up for failure. Increase your calorie intake by 200 for a few days and then again until you get to your desired intake. Good luck.
  • Jeweller76
    Options
    @ndj1979

Hahaha! Thanks! I go to uni, work part-time (in a stressful job) and I'm a single parent so it's not that I have an unhealthy relationship with food but rather I'm just too busy to stop and eat. And when I do try to stop I don't have much of an appetite. I tend to survive on coffee and cigarettes during the day which is really unhealthy but I'm trying to change that.

My stomach is way to small to eat a steak AND roast potatoes, and probably veg too. And I love eggs but 4 of them in one go, in morning! Barf!! :sick:
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Dense foods!! Nuts (not peanuts) and other filling foods. I went from 1200 to 1750. I can't imagine eating only 1200 now!! I have a smoothie for breakfast which comes to about 300-500 calories and keeps me full till lunch. Then I just eat nice and hearty foods for dinner. And what I can at lunch :)
  • Jeweller76
    Options
    @ HacheraTsarine

Thanks, I like the idea of drinking them instead but I don't like milky things. Smoothies, protein shakes etc... My palette and gag reflexes won't allow it!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979

Hahaha! Thanks! I go to uni, work part-time (in a stressful job) and I'm a single parent so it's not that I have an unhealthy relationship with food but rather I'm just too busy to stop and eat. And when I do try to stop I don't have much of an appetite. I tend to survive on coffee and cigarettes during the day which is really unhealthy but I'm trying to change that.

My stomach is way to small to eat a steak AND roast potatoes, and probably veg too. And I love eggs but 4 of them in one go, in morning! Barf!! :sick:

Haha you sound like me! Single mom working full time and overtime shifts living on coffee and cigarettes. I've cut the coffee back A LOT! Now for the cigarettes :/
  • Jeweller76
    Options
    @ndj1979

Haha you sound like me! Single mom working full time and overtime shifts living on coffee and cigarettes. I've cut the coffee back A LOT! Now for the cigarettes :/

Coffee and *kitten* make for an excellent appetite suppressant but it's bad!! :wink:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) how long have you been eating 600-700 calories? If less than a month or so, then your body isn't "used to" it. That is starvation. It isn't healthy at all.

2) If you've been eating 600-700 calories, you'd be dropping weight too rapidly and a lot of that would be muscle. Not healthy at all.

3) If you're not weighing your food and carefully measuring liquids, you're eating more than you think. Possibly by a lot. Your diary isn't open at all for us to see on what you're subsisting. Buy a food scale.

4) What were you eating to gain the excess weight? You didn't gain the weight eating only 1700 calories a day.

5) lean meats, whole grains, veggies, fruits, healthy fats like avocados and nut butters and olive oil are what you should make the majority of your diet. If you can't hit your calories eating straight healthy stuff, then add in a treat. One small square of Lindt chocolate has 60 calories in it.

I'm going to disagree with everyone who says to move slowly back up to 1700 calories. Up them and get as close as possible to that figure. If you gain a couple pounds in the beginning, so be it. It'll be glycogen mostly while your body repairs any damage and your hormones regulate. You'll regulate and start losing soon enough. Follow a reasonable diet and get enough protein in you. If you're only eating 600-700 calories, you aren't getting nearly enough. Or enough fiber. Or enough vitamins...
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1046449-tyler-s-tator-tot-casserole
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    avocado sliced on top of EVERYTHING! :)
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    Start slow. I can't imagine eating that low, I almost died at 1200 and didn't stick with that for long! Like the others suggested try to snack on nuts (pistachios, YUM),string cheese or even beef jerky. Have you ever tried protein bars? If you don't plan to give up coffee ( I didn't) and you don't like the consistency of smoothies or shakes you could add protein powder to your coffee in place of sugar or cream.
  • Jeweller76
    Options
    1) how long have you been eating 600-700 calories? If less than a month or so, then your body isn't "used to" it. That is starvation. It isn't healthy at all.

2) If you've been eating 600-700 calories, you'd be dropping weight too rapidly and a lot of that would be muscle. Not healthy at all.

3) If you're not weighing your food and carefully measuring liquids, you're eating more than you think. Possibly by a lot. Your diary isn't open at all for us to see on what you're subsisting. Buy a food scale.

4) What were you eating to gain the excess weight? You didn't gain the weight eating only 1700 calories a day.

5) lean meats, whole grains, veggies, fruits, healthy fats like avocados and nut butters and olive oil are what you should make the majority of your diet. If you can't hit your calories eating straight healthy stuff, then add in a treat. One small square of Lindt chocolate has 60 calories in it.

I'm going to disagree with everyone who says to move slowly back up to 1700 calories. Up them and get as close as possible to that figure. If you gain a couple pounds in the beginning, so be it. It'll be glycogen mostly while your body repairs any damage and your hormones regulate. You'll regulate and start losing soon enough. Follow a reasonable diet and get enough protein in you. If you're only eating 600-700 calories, you aren't getting nearly enough. Or enough fiber. Or enough vitamins...

I've been eating this way for about three years - since I started my university course. I know it isn't healthy which is why I'm trying to change it. There are days when I have less than that - depending on what I'm doing. I tended to have naughty days at the weekends after which I'll gain like 2-3 lbs or something. This is falls off when I go back to my very low calorie way of eating in the week. But even within this week I can gain really quickly if I decide to go over the 600-700 cals or if I decide to eat much more carbs than normal. I also like beer, which is an additional problem...

I do have a food scale but I don't fancy getting into weighing foods etc. i don't really eat dairy. Believe me it is possible to gain weight on less than 1000 calories a day! I do agree with you that I want to just up my calories in one hit and just swallow (see what I did there) the weight gain.
  • Jeweller76
    Options
    avocado sliced on top of EVERYTHING! :)

:sick: I'm not a fan of avocado.
  • Jeweller76
    Options
    Start slow. I can't imagine eating that low, I almost died at 1200 and didn't stick with that for long! Like the others suggested try to snack on nuts (pistachios, YUM),string cheese or even beef jerky. Have you ever tried protein bars? If you don't plan to give up coffee ( I didn't) and you don't like the consistency of smoothies or shakes you could add protein powder to your coffee in place of sugar or cream.

Ah I LOVE pistachios! I'll be picking those up on the way to work today! I don't like milky things so my coffee is only ever black :smile:
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You don't want to increase your intake by 1000 immediately, but you do want to increase. Try increasing by 100 cals, stabilizing for a week or so and then add 100 more until you get to your goal.

Also, a couple tips:
    1) get a food scale and measuring cups to make sure you have been calculating everything correctly

2) If you have some more time on the weekends try to prepack meals as much as you can, cut up some peppers, make individual serving sizes of nuts and other snacks

3) Look into healthy meal replacement options, I was going to school with at least an hour commute and working three part time jobs last year, sometimes you can't have an entire meal packed but if you have a meal replacement bar you know you are getting at least proper nutrients.

Good Luck!