ianmark55 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

has anyone got any curry recipes that are not too high in cals

Thanks, Ian

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Have you had a look at the Hairy Dieters Chicken Korma? I'm sure you could make it hotter if you wanted a bit more kick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?programmes[]=p00vq8c6
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    My favorite for Indian is from Bal Arneson. She has such great Indian dishes. This is a great one to try:
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bal-arneson/chicken-south-indian-style.html

This is a really good Thai curry recipe. It's still pretty authentic too. But it's easy to adjust and the red curry paste lasts FOREVER!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/easy-chicken-curry-with-vegetables-recipe/index.html

I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese curry, but I think it's has apple in it. Otherwise I believe it's similar to an Indian curry. I bet allrecipes has a few versions.

As far as Middle Easter curry, I think it's pretty similar to Indian, except that instead of garam masala (which not all recipes call for) they use baharat. Again, I know that not all recipes call for it, but I know that it's used a lot because I LOVE MIDDLE EASTERN FOOD! It's hard to find where I am now, so I cook a lot of these types of recipes. I watch Samira's Kitchen on youtube, The Spice House has some great recipes (including curry), and allrecipes has some good ones too!

So yeah, I think it's obvious I'm a curry fan. Hope this gave you some good ideas!
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    http://freshfruitandveg.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/natal-red-kidney-bean-curry.html

This is a great recipe by Madhur Jaffrey and so easy. It serves four and I use less oil (2 tbsp - but you could probably go down to 1), two tins of kidney beans rather than dried and a tin of chopped tomatoes rather than fresh. I also find that I need to add some more water to it to get to the consistency I want. It's very spicy but if you aren't into that, you can always just cut down the chillies!

Edited to say that I'm not a veggie and neither is my husband, but this is still one of our favourites!
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    They do not make curry in India, the term comes from English settlements, there take on classic Indian cuisine. In India they would never consider using a curry spice which is English and then later traded to Thailand and many islands during spice trades

in India they use various blends such as Garam Masala always made fresh by toasting whole spices or sun drying then grinding.

as to Thai curry my favorite is Gaeng phed ped yang, a roast duck in red curry with Thai basil. In Thailand and many others they have a heavy use of coconut milk including in Jamaica with curried goat

Traditional Classic Indian Cuisine using Garam Masala and other blends incorporate them into the dish differently as well and serve to the table differently.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    To list a proper Classic "Curry" dish this has to start the list:

Chicken Tikka Masala

6 garlic cloves, finely grated
    4 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
    4 teaspoons ground turmeric
    2 teaspoons garam masala
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 cups whole-milk yogurt (not Greek)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
    3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    6 cardamom pods, crushed
    2 dried chiles de árbol or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
    2 cups heavy cream
    3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus sprigs for garnish
    Steamed basmati rice (for serving)

Preparation:

Combine garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk yogurt, salt, and half of spice mixture in a medium bowl; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and chill 4-6 hours. Cover and chill remaining spice mixture.
    Heat ghee in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom, and chiles and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining half of spice mixture and cook, stirring often, until bottom of pot begins to brown, about 4 minutes.

Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, until sauce thickens, 8-10 minutes.
    Add cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 30-40 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside sheet. Arrange chicken on rack in a single layer. Broil until chicken starts to blacken in spots (it will not be cooked through), about 10 minutes.
    Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, add to sauce, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice and cilantro sprigs.

DO AHEAD: Chicken can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill. Reheat before serving.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Tikka-Masala-51154870#ixzz2aiaPbLXL
  • lynn_miller15
    lynn_miller15 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I make curry all the time since my common law partner is Indian. We have many indian cookbooks and purchase those boxes of indian spices. What I honestly do is cut out the amount of oil they suggest and only use about 2 tsp or less. Cuts the calories by ALOT!!

The box brands that we use are "National" and "Shan". They can be found in the international food aisle at your local grocery store.

I don't use any recipes found online as I've never had any luck with the authentic taste.

Good luck!
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese curry, but I think it's has apple in it. Otherwise I believe it's similar to an Indian curry. I bet allrecipes has a few versions.

I've got a good japanese curry recipe (from http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/how-to-make-japanese-curry-rice-from-scratch-recipe.html that website, but I've modified it a tiny bit), it's not the lowest of calories, but I've managed to wiggle it down using some low fat- butter alternatives.

Firstly, you need to make a roux:
    3 tablespoons butter (I use low-fat marg which is 35 cals for 10g, so this dramatically reduces the calories to begin with)
    1/4 cup of flour
    1 tablespoons garam masala
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add less if you want it mild or more if you want it spicy)
    Fresh ground black pepper
    1 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon of wostershire sauce (or tonkatsu if you can get it)

So, to make the roux you melt the butter in a pan- and then add the flour. Keep on moving it around the pan as it will burn very rapidly if left, and then keep heating until it turns a caramel brown colour. Then, turn off the heat- and add in your spices + ketchup.

Then for your curry you'll need:
    2 teaspoon oil (I personally omitted this as I don't cook in oil, but it's just for greasing the pan- so use a 1 cal spray)
    2 large onions sliced thin
    2 chicken thighs cleaned and cut into chunks (you could also use any other meat- or tofu, or heck I've made this completely veggie before with cauliflower)
    2 carrots cut into chunks
    4 cups water
    2 large potatoes cut into large chunks

Saute your onions in a pan until caramelised, then brown your meat. Add the diced carrots and potatoes- then the water and boil until your carrots/potatoes are soft enough to piece with a fork. Now, this is where the choice comes in, personally I quite like using stock before instead of water, but I've heard of people using wine, you could add yoghurt, cheese- more tomato ketchup etc, it's your base- make of it what you wish.

Once your potatoes/carrots are soft, add your roux slowly by mixing a little bit with the stock- and then add it back to the curry. This should thicken up the sauce massively, although beware as it gets cooler it gets thicker!

The great thing about japanese curry (well, like any curry) is from here you can do what you like with it. I quite like adding apples every once in a while, the other half likes chilli oil- add more worcestershire sauce etc. Of course, you could also buy the S+B curry roux blocks, but it is rather satisfying to make it from scratch yourself!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    This site has the best curry recipes: http://www.thaitable.com/

That said, most of the curries I like are high fat/high cal.