Too weak for push-ups?

Options
It sounds really quite sad, but I really am far to weak to perform even a single push-up. Yes, even the variety where you're on your knees. My arms just don't have the strength in them, and give out less than halfway up (or down). I can't even hold the starting position for more than 60 seconds.
My upper-body strength is genuinely horrific, but I was always told that to improve your upper-body strength you must first do push-ups, and as a complete novice in the whole fitness thing I don't really know what alternative there is? Like, is there a particular type of dumbbell lift thingy I should be doing?
idk. I'm lost on all this, and I hate being weak, so if any of you fitness fans would give me a push in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Replies

• edwardgaweda
    Options
    Incline Pushups should be well suited for you. Inverted Rows would also work well if you can find something at a good height.

Using light dumbbells for bench pressing would also be a good start. You're aiming for strength, so through trial and error find a weight that you can do for 5 reps while struggling on the final rep. Do this over 3-5 sets, and then the next workout choose a slightly higher weight. Your body will adapt faster than you think.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing pushups against the wall? Once you can do some of these, you could start to gradually increase the angle until you get to normal pushups.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    FYI, six months ago I couldn't do a single pushup. If I even tried I just fell. At this point I only do pushups if I'm supersetting (doing them back to back with no rest) with some bench press variation; otherwise, they would do nothing for me. Strength comes with time, commitment and persistence.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Have you tried doing pushups against the wall? Once you can do some of these, you could start to gradually increase the angle until you get to normal pushups.

Otherwise known as incline pushups.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    can you do planks? like holding your body on your elbows and toes? Maybe doing planks and increasing your endurance(time) will help at least get your body more used to the posture and build your core and shoulders a bit to help you out with a push up?
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    can you do planks? like holding your body on your elbows and toes? Maybe doing planks and increasing your endurance(time) will help at least get your body more used to the posture and build your core and shoulders a bit to help you out with a push up?

+1 ... Planks are great. Def do these as well if you can.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Do girl pushups from your knees until you build up your body strength.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! It took me a long time to be able to do push-ups on my toes. You have to remember that push-ups aren't just about arm strength, core strength is more important. Start with planks to strengthen your core. Then incline pushups, like someone mentioned. Don't do them on the wall, it doesn't engage your core and is a waste of time. Start on a counter and work your way down to lower ledges. Inverted rows will also help a lot! If you are a member of a gym I did all of this on the Smith Machine, 1) because no one uses it for anything 2) I could gradually adjust the incline for both pushups and incline row.

Good luck, you can do it! Being able to do pushups was my first major accomplishment and I was so proud :-) Now it's chin ups, and next pull ups, lol.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I second the advice re incline push-ups. Start with your arms quite high up the wall, so it's fairly easy, then once you can do ten like that, do the same with your hands a little lower, or on the side of a coffee table or something.

Another way to make push-ups easier is to have your knees on the floor.

when you can do 10 push-ups, you make them a little bit more difficult and train until you can do ten. Then make them more difficult... until you can do 10 full push-ups. Then there are ways to make them even more difficult, like doing them with your feet on a raised surface, one arm push-ups and many variations. the basic principle is start with something relatively easy, when you can do ten, you make it a little bit more difficult, then repeat.

one thing that's important is to make sure your back is straight and your lower back/pelvis is not sagging towards the floor, as this isn't good for your back. If that happens,you need to do an easier variety for a while until your core strength increases, and there are exercises to increase core strength, e.g. planks (or easier varieties of planks if the full plank isn't possible yet)
  • Leviriet
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely give incline pushups a try! (Although I may feel a little silly!)
    quick question though; what's an inverted row?
    EDIT: And in the time it took me to type that (and remove a scratchy kitten from my knees) there were like six more posts. Thank you all! I'll definitely try planks, and everything else. I'm not currently a member of a gym, partially due to monetary constraints and partly because I kind of feel like I'd just make an idiot of myself. I can be pretty nervy about stuff like that, so I've avoided gym-joining for quite a while.
    It's definitely something I intend for when I have more money, though.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely give incline pushups a try! (Although I may feel a little silly!)

0910-inverted-row-200x200.jpg
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Oh no!! Don't feel silly, it's very common.
  • Leviriet
    Options

0910-inverted-row-200x200.jpg

Haha oh my goodness. That looks rather difficult!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the name, but it was described to me by someone here... maybe a negative push up? (does that sound right?! lol)
    Get into plank position and lower yourself. That's it. Start anywhere, you can only improve!!

In January, I couldn't do one push up, on the knees or feet, so I really just pushed through it, did one at a time. Now I can do 10 in a row on my toes!!! Or 15 if I break them into sets of 5. You WILL get stronger!!

** And for planking, start with 10 seconds, then add in a few more seconds each time
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Check out these - if you scroll down, it give you alternates if you can't do the standard pushup or the girl version.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Incline push-ups and planks, yes.

Your inability to do a full push-up, by the way, might not be due to your arm or upper body strength. Many untrained people just do not have the trunk stability (yes, "core strength") to hold their body erect. So planks should help with that.

Another thing you could consider is bench pressing--with some dumbbells heavy enough to challenge you. You might not be able to do a push-up yet, but anyone can bench press *something*.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    It sounds really quite sad, but I really am far to weak to perform even a single push-up. Yes, even the variety where you're on your knees. My arms just don't have the strength in them, and give out less than halfway up (or down). I can't even hold the starting position for more than 60 seconds.
    My upper-body strength is genuinely horrific, but I was always told that to improve your upper-body strength you must first do push-ups, and as a complete novice in the whole fitness thing I don't really know what alternative there is? Like, is there a particular type of dumbbell lift thingy I should be doing?
    idk. I'm lost on all this, and I hate being weak, so if any of you fitness fans would give me a push in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Hey there! I'm in the same boat, but I'm seeing improvement. I do them on my knees and I go down as far as I can and repeat 15 times. The first couple times I only made it down about an inch (if that) and I was sweating like you would not believe. But now I find that I can go a little bit further each time. My goal is a full out pushup by the end of the year. haha!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    great question! i'm the same way and will definitely look into some of these suggestions!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

You'll probably find that weak core strength is one of the greatest contributing factors to poor push-up performance. Work on planks daily - aim to totally engage the area around belt level and fully engage your glutes (imagine your bum-cheeks dimpling inwards). Work on holding this for longer and longer (time yourself). Also try ab walkouts - where you start in a plank go into downward dog and then slowly walk your hands back towards your feet a few inches at a time, fully engaging your abs and trying not to have any side-to-side movement. Hands back to feet and then out to plank again is one rep. Try to add a rep every couple of days and slow down the walking part as you get better.

Along with the above, try push ups every other day and try adding an extra rep every so often. You'll be surprised how quickly you improve with consistent and diligent practice. Time and hard work grasshopper!