Dress size rants!

Options
capriqueen
capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
Today at the store, I tried a size 6 and a size 8 dress. While the size 6 felt snug, it looked really odd and killed the effect of the dress. The size 8 was a better fit, less snug but is wayyy too large for my shoulders! Clothes shopping is such a pain!

What are some of your rants about dress sizes?

Replies

• HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    How men get a choice from waist size and women just get a random '6, 8, 10' etc

makes no sense to me.

women's clothing sizes are different in every single shop whereas the men can never go wrong because all they need to look out for is their waist size!
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I know! Men have a lot more to choose from!

I always end up getting my dresses tailored. I have narrower shoulders and waist as compared to my hips, so if I pick a dress that fits my hips it ends up being large enough to fit another person inside on the top.
  • LordOberon
    LordOberon Posts: 73 Member
    Options

makes no sense to me.

women's clothing sizes are different in every single shop whereas the men can never go wrong because all they need to look out for is their waist size!

The trade off is that men just wear pants. It might be jeans or khaki, but its basically the same thing. Women have a much larger variety so designers have much more leeway in sizing. It does suck and most designers don't really care about accuracy, only selling. I have read numerous stories on how some high end stores will have sizes smaller and how bargain stores sizes are larger than average.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I went shopping with my SO last month and he bought shorts. Depending on the style and brand, he was anywhere from a 30-34-inch waist.

They aren't exactly uniform, either.

Honestly, I don't seem to have an issue with sizes. I'm pretty across-the-board with being somewhere between a 6 and an 8, but certain styles do not work on certain body types. Some women have broad shoulders, some have narrow shoulders.

I'm an hourglass. Regardless of sizes, I am not going to look the same (or even necessarily fit into) styles that someone who is an apple can wear and vice versa.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with skirts and some shorts b/c my waist is a size 10 and my hips are a size 12!!!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    makes no sense to me.
    Wrong. I have in my closet 4 pairs of pants that all fit me, 31, 32, 33, and 34. My waist is 32" but pants sit at different places on my waist. Jeans at the hip, dress pants higher, and so on.

Once you are in decent shape and care about how things fit, then it's just as much as a pain in the butt to find clothes. Most men just don't give a crap and it shows.

And don't even get me started on dress shirts. Shirts have an unstated waist size. Good luck finding a dress shirt that fits my shoulders and doesn't produce a tent of fabric over my belly that makes me look fat.
    I know! I can wear: pants, pants, pants, or maybe pants.
    For shirts, I can wear: dress shirts, polos, maybe a T-shirt.

What a choice!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you! I wanted to buy a nice dress, size L but my boobs didn't fit in, way too tight! Don't they get is that bigger women also got bigger boobs? It felt horrid I had to take a size larger just because of that, around my waist way too loose...
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    A lot of companies I think go with a generic sized pattern. I have always liked having my mom make my dresses when I was growing up. Partly, because I always got some awesome comments on the dress.
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    While this is sort of true, we also have to worry about inseam length, and more importantly, whether or not said pants can fit us in the legs and butt area. I mean, I realize most guys don't like to work legs, but c'mon....why punish the ones who do? Jeans/pants shopping is very frustrating. Ladies who have an issue with a dress have an easy solution; go get it altered. How many tailors will alter jeans? Really.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to get back into my size 12s and medium shirts after losing all my baby weight and then some....... went shopping for my wedding dress and had to get a 14. Apparently wedding dresses are always a size bigger. Had I know that I might have waited til I was in a size 10! LOL I know it is just a number and the important thing is that it fits and looks amazing -- my body is still the same size whether I am wearing a 10, 12, 14. I just still think of 14 as extra large.
  • lizbess1
    lizbess1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    that's why I have given in and started buying my Jeans from the men's department because they fit better than women's but as I lose more of the weight I am finding myself in the young men's section now as they no longer seem to have a size smaller than a 30 waist in the men's department (I am within 10 pounds of my goal after 25 years of being overweight/obese) and I don't buy dresses for the same reasons that you have all mentioned I buy skirts and tops still I guess it comes from all the years of trying to hid the figure which I am still doing at times...
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have the most ridiculous body. I've figured out the current sizes of my body:

Size 8 - Shoulders
    Size 10 - Waist
    Size 14 - Bum
    Size 12 - Hips and Legs

Buying a graduation dress was a nightmare! I have to go with baggy options so many times to encompass my silly pear figure!!
    And I have also given up buying high waisted shorts, it's impossible to find something that fits both my waist, hips and bum!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    makes no sense to me.
    Wrong. I have in my closet 4 pairs of pants that all fit me, 31, 32, 33, and 34. My waist is 32" but pants sit at different places on my waist. Jeans at the hip, dress pants higher, and so on.

Once you are in decent shape and care about how things fit, then it's just as much as a pain in the butt to find clothes. Most men just don't give a crap and it shows.

And don't even get me started on dress shirts. Shirts have an unstated waist size. Good luck finding a dress shirt that fits my shoulders and doesn't produce a tent of fabric over my belly that makes me look fat.
    For shirts, I can wear: dress shirts, polos, maybe a T-shirt.

What a choice!

I wish more men wore kilts, myself.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    While this is sort of true, we also have to worry about inseam length, and more importantly, whether or not said pants can fit us in the legs and butt area. I mean, I realize most guys don't like to work legs, but c'mon....why punish the ones who do? Jeans/pants shopping is very frustrating. Ladies who have an issue with a dress have an easy solution; go get it altered. How many tailors will alter jeans? Really.

I alter my own jeans. I have always had to. Perhaps you need to learn how.
  • rml_16
    Options

To be fair, you could wear shorts or a kilt.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

There are aslo women who like to wear jeans. I hate them! Reason: when it fits around the hips, it's way too loose around the waist, so I hear ya!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Don't they get is that bigger women also got bigger boobs?

My mother is obese. I have been a size 4-6 most of my life. My boobs are bigger than hers and have been since they grew when I was 9 years old. Her's are not that big.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have always had major issues with pants of any kind because my waist is just wayyyyyyyyyyy too small for my tushie and my boobs! And because of this issue it is RARE to see me even consider a dress because if I get the correct size for my boobs, the rest is like a tent, if I get it to fit my tushie then my boobs are falling out, and I won't even talk about the waist issue! UGH!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Don't they get is that bigger women also got bigger boobs?

My mother is obese. I have been a size 4-6 most of my life. My boobs are bigger than hers and have been since they grew when I was 9 years old. Her's are not that big.

I don't think my cup size C is that big? But you're right there are exceptions of course...
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I wish it was that easy... unfortunately, alterations do not really work for some of these dresses to body type issues.