Sodium

Options
Do any of you change the sodium recommended for the day? It says 2500 for mine. I was 400 over for my calories and still only had 508 in sodium. Is it set pretty high?

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think most people need 1500 - 2500 mg.

You need 500mg for normal body functions,

People with certain heart and blood pressure diseases need to limit their intake, but for most people, more is better (well reasonably more, don't go crazy!)
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    No im always over so its not set too high
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It seems like most of the processed food or fast food gives the most sodium. It's hard to eat that much sodium in regular food. :) I do have low blood pressure though.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't have to meet that amount. 2500 is set as the top as a limit, not a goal. You should be trying to get under that as often as possible.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I keep mine low as I have high BP.
  • Doskymom
    Options
    It's almost impossible to get too little sodium in your diet. Getting too much is a bigger concern. My cardiologist believes even the RDA is set way too high.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Sodium is in damn near everything you buy that's prepackaged. The more natural you eat, the less sodium you get.
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I keep mine down for the high blood pressure problem and it tends to make me retain excess fluid. Without the problems I wouldn't go over in the requirement.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That is the recommended daily allowance for sodium. I have become ashamed of my sodium intake. I just posted on my news feed this morning how I am going to put some focus on the macro for a while. I've been really caught up in Calories/Carbs/Sugar due to my T2 diabetes, and I have ignored the fact that I am sometimes doubling the RDA of sodium.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It seems like most of the processed food or fast food gives the most sodium. It's hard to eat that much sodium in regular food. :) I do have low blood pressure though.

FDA standards are 2500 for sodium. I too have low blood pressure, and was under on my sodium intake. Since I've upped my sodium (most days between 200-500 over, with some days a bit higher), I've felt a lot better.

I was concerned about my salt intake (bloating concerns, etc), so now if I'm having a low sodium day, I grab a powerade or Gatorade. :smile:
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I rarely get above 1000 for sodium. Maybe I should try to up my intake? I dislike salt so that's probably why.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You don't have to meet that amount. 2500 is set as the top as a limit, not a goal. You should be trying to get under that as often as possible.

I agree. It's better to be under than over. More is not better!
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sodium and calories aren't really related in anything other than both being frequently higher in processed foods. I think it appears on the list mainly because it's a cause of concern for a lot of people.

I was advised by my doctor that I needed to keep my blood pressure under a very tight rein, and the best way to do that was control my sodium intake. If you don't have any reason to watch your blood pressure, then being a bit over or under the guideline isn't even worth worrying about- it all balances out.
  • Tangerine302
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if the low sodium intake is contributing to the low blood pressure. Once you eat out in a restaurant it doesn't take long to get the sodium. Maybe I should have put some salt on my corn on the cob last night! :)
  • seliinac
    Options
    "The Adequate Intake (AI) for sodium is 1,500 milligrams daily for males and females ages 9-50. This value is less than 1 teaspoon of table salt per day. The maximum recommended level of sodium intake is 2,300 milligrams daily. On average, more than 85% of American men and women consume sodium in amounts that far exceed the maximum recommended level of intake"

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09354.html
  • seliinac
    Options
    How low is your blood pressure?
  • Tangerine302
    Options
    The top number is in the early 90's, sometimes mid 90's. One day it was 86. I've always had lower blood pressure, so I suppose the lower salt intake isn't helping with that either. :) I do like to eat several times a day. If I don't I feel light headed.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    ^^^This!
  • seliinac
    Options
    Unless your doctor tells you to eat more salt to increase your BP, try to keep it in the normal range.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot and live in the south. Id be so miserable at that level.