Starving College Student...

StarryLondon
StarryLondon Posts: 4
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone!

So, I came back to college about 4 weeks ago and the class schedule truly messed up my eating habits. Most days I have class until 10 pm, so I miss out on having dinner or any snacks. I've almost gotten used to missing dinner. It seems like I get full a lot faster now. Actually, I'm finding it hard to eat at all. I almost find food disgusting when I think about it. I realize that this is not good and I think I might get into bad eating habits.

Any advice or support? Has anyone else experienced this and how did you get out of this situation?

-Gretchen

Replies

• Buy a box of Luna or Clif bars in your favorite flavor and keep them in your dorm. Always have a snack in your purse or backpack.
  • Interesting problem. I have two suggestions:
    1. Big lunch
    2. Snacks during the afternoon and evening
    I don't think there is anything wrong with replacing your dinners with one of these methods.
    You indicated you miss out on snacks so maybe #1 is your answer.
    Good luck.
  • Hmm... sometimes once I have past that starving feeling I'm just not hungry anymore. You may try taking some healthy snacks to class with you. I used to keep snacks in my backpack when I was in school. Munching helped me stay awake on the really long days lol. You may also try to eat dinner earlier depending on your schedule. Even a protien shake during class wouldn't be too bad. Hope I could help. Good luck.
  • i did go through it. i was working so many hrs and couldnt find time to eat. before i knew it the thought of eating was nauseating to me. i mostly drank my food like soda tea and water. i lost a ton of weight but gained it all back lol every now and then when i get super busy i find it difficult to eat bc im just not hungry. you really do have to force something down. your body doesnt care if you are busy or not. years of that behavior has ruined my metabolism. its tough but even if its a slice of bread or a banana you should try something. i hope it helps. good luck and try to do things for you. you deserve it pulling those hours
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    For about 2 1/2 years I worked full time and went to school full time (in the evenings). It's important that you eat enough to keep your body going and keep you out of starvation mode! It helps you stay sharp for school, too. :smile:

I tried to bring not-too-messy homemade dinners to eat either before class or during, if I had no time. Things like pre-cut fruits/veggies, salads, and proteins aren't too hard to toss in a container of tupperware and bring with you. I recommend cooking protein on the weekends (or one night when you have time) and pre-portioning it up so you can grab it easily to bring for your dinners. I usually tried to avoid anything with too heavy of an odor so that I didn't bother people around me (ex. fish, garlic, etc.). It's just a matter of experimenting and figuring out what works best with your tastes, but in the long run, bringing your own dinner will keep you well-nourished, and it's much easier to be healthy that way versus not eating dinner at all, and it's both healthier and less expensive than buying dinner on the way to/from class.
  • Sardine239
    Sardine239 Posts: 72 Member
    I'm in the same boat, my schedule keeps me from having lunch. I keep a lot of snacks in my dorm room like baby carrots, protein bars, string cheese, etc and when I'm going to be in class over lunch, I can throw this stuff in my bag and eat it in class.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Try reversing you meals - it is best to eat bigger meals in the morning and afternoon anyway. Then you will be full at dinner and can have a light snack or bar (as suggested). Once you get in the habit of eating a good and filling breakfast you will want it always. I know it was really hard for me to get used to it - I was not hungry in the morning - but I am now!
  • thescreama
    thescreama Posts: 1 Member
    I agree, always pack a snack with you!
  • Wow.. Thank you all for such great, quick responses!! :D

I went to Meijer yesterday and bought a ton of Fiber One bars. My new strategy is to eat big breakfasts and lunches, then have a granola bar during my 5 minute break at 6 pm.

Thanks again!
    Gretchen
This discussion has been closed.