This running stuff is HARD to do please help me out!!!

Options
Hello everyone,

I tried to run a few days ago outside at a track.
When I'm at the gym I can run for 5 minutes( I know thats terrible) straight and then stop for 2 and run for 5 more.
When I'm done my heart is racing like I'm going to die! I think the only reason I go that long is the hot guys around me at the gym. (LOL)

So when I went to the track I thought i would hear the birds sing and run like forest gump.
didn't happen. i think I made it two times around the track and couldn't run anymore.
I have worked out for 3 years but am not a light weight. (191#)
Can anyone tell me what to do? Will it get easier? Any tips please help.
Thank you all for your help.

Replies

• trishana
    trishana Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I tried to run a few days ago outside at a track.
    When I'm at the gym I can run for 5 minutes( I know thats terrible) straight and then stop for 2 and run for 5 more.
    When I'm done my heart is racing like I'm going to die! I think the only reason I go that long is the hot guys around me at the gym. (LOL)

So when I went to the track I thought i would hear the birds sing and run like forest gump.
    didn't happen. i think I made it two times around the track and couldn't run anymore.
    I have worked out for 3 years but am not a light weight. (191#)
    Can anyone tell me what to do? Will it get easier? Any tips please help.
    Thank you all for your help.
  • BYEBYEBELLY
    Options
    stick with it! It will get easier. I have never been a runner, I am top heavy so I don't like all of the bouncing around that happens on the treadmill. Now, I wear 2 sports bras and I am up to running 4 miles straight. I started out about 6 months ago....and I could only jog for about 5 minutes, and then walk 5 minutes. Now walking feels too slow, and I can run consistently for about 45 minutes. Take it slow and keep increasing the time you run. Even if you are walking, you are still burning calories. Keep up the good work!
  • mb2bthin
    mb2bthin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am about to start on the same track. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. I will do the same....puff, puff and pant:blushing:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    yeah... it starts out pretty bad but it does get better and as mentioned; you will feel like walking is too slow.

My plan -- do interval training great calorie burner!
    Do 5 min jog, 2 min walk, 3 min jog 2 min slightly faster, walk for a few minutes, repeat. Before you know it the distance and time passes and you have made it!!

Adjust as you need -- this is for endurance and for speed. Do birds chirp when you run... trying to think on that??

Keep thinking; chugga chugga choo choo.... !! Happy trails! :laugh:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Sorry to 'post jack',© ahhh i just coined that! lol, how often do you guys run? I'm just starting out myself and in to my 3rd week. I was planning on 3 times a week, only doing 2 miles at the mo:grumble:
    I have started thinking about going every night. I train in the gym 5 - 6 times a week aswell.

Thanks

Al
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Take some music with you. Birds singing are nice but it's easier to run when you hear a beat, it helps me to keep going.

It will definitely get better. Maybe change proportions - run 3 minutes, walk 5 minutes (or if you feel better walk 3 minutes) and so on. If you have a HRM watch not to exceed 85-90% of your HR - you won't be so tired after running parts.

Oh, and you said that you "stop" after 5minutes running - I'm not sure if that's what you meant but it's better to walk, not just stand or sit.
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Sorry to 'post jack',© ahhh i just coined that! lol, how often do you guys run? I'm just starting out myself and in to my 3rd week. I was planning on 3 times a week, only doing 2 miles at the mo:grumble:
    I have started thinking about going every night. I train in the gym 5 - 6 times a week aswell.

Thanks

Al

I run about 4-5 days a week one week then about 1-2 the next and mix in other exercises so it varies. You have to give your body time to rest and if you do it everyday you'll wear it out faster. Especially if you're going for distance. I do circuit training in addition to my run days so - sort of like weight lifting but with aerobics tossed in as well.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Ok, cool, thanks. Do you have a HRM? do you know how meny cals you burn from running?

Ta

Al
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yeah, I have been a runner my whole life, but I had stopped for about 5 years and started again about 9 months ago, it was an eye opener to see how badly my wind had become. It will get better. If you have an HRM, then definately use that as your biggest tool and best friend. Start running by getting your heart rate no higher then about 80% and keep it there for whatever you can (if it's 3 mintues, it's 3 minutes) then slow down to a slow jog or walk until your heart rate is back down to about 65%, then start all over again. You do that and you will notice a marked increase in the running time. It will probably take about 3 weeks of 3 times a week to 1 month (depending on your body) to get up to around 10 minutes straight of actual running. the key is to not let the running part stagnate. When you feel like it's "easier" then bump it up (time wise, heart rate should stay around 80% or so, for now at least). Eventually, wind will stop being an issue (probably 5 to 6 months down the road) and it will be muscle fatigue that you will have to start working on.

Best luck!

-Banks
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Ok, cool, thanks. Do you have a HRM? do you know how meny cals you burn from running?

Ta

Al
    You know, I go back and forth on getting one. I guess I should but right now I am stuck on a treadmill with the temps so HOT! :noway: so, I just upload my info and use that figure right now. Maybe when I get back home I will shell out the dollars for one. I am looking at a New Balance version.. but I'd like to see it in person rather than just via internet.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey girlie!!!

Well, you so had me beat with your running!!! I started off with 30 seconds running, and 5 minutes whining! 45 seconds running, 10 minutes waddling and out of breath. Now I am up to running a good mile without stopping at all. (YEY ME!) I take a quick few seconds to breathe and check my heart rate, and I am back running within 10 seconds!!! It has been such a turn around! I owe it all to my workout buddies...My husband who drags my fluffy buns off the couch, my son who is 10 and I gave him smack telling him I was stronger than him...FOREVER!!! (BAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!) and my 5 year old daughter who can now run over 1/4th mile without stopping. Oh...and my heart rate monitor!!!

Ya, sure I love the fam. But I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my heart rate monitor. (Since some are talking about them, I'll give a plug!) I NEVER buy any gadgets. NEVER!!! But my HRM feels like "instant progress" as I am working out. I jump roped for 100 calories yesterday, I go running for 500 calories, I bike for 600. I can also do things like ride with the kids for 75 minutes according to my timer, or see who can go the fastest with the stop watch part. I'm thrilled! It has an alarm, a clock, a timer, a stop watch, tells the complete date, a few other things...Oh and it's a heart rate monitor too! I love it!

The ONLY change I wish I would have made is to get one that can be used with a strap and by itself. When I'm working out, stopping my movement at all to "check it" is kind of annoying. I went for one under $100 because I didn't think I'd use the gadget. Errrr...I do!!! I keep it in my purse just in case we head to the beach from somewhere, or just to see what my heart is doing. It's great!

I KNOW I would have never kept moving so much without this "workout buddy." It is saving my life.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Welcome Trish & other newbies! :flowerforyou:

Check in at the MFP Runner's Club everyday. Lots of tips & encouragement to be found there. :smile:

Good luck with your running & fitness goals! :heart:
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    You have to start somewhere and now that you know where you are at, you can set little personnel goals for everyday. Try just adding on 30 more seconds each time you run, or try to get a better time with the distance you run now, or try running for for 3 minutes, then jog or walk for 2 minutes, then run for another 3 minutes, then jog or walk for 2 mintues, and try to go further everyday.
    It's what you make of it and just how hard you want to push yourself.
  • ssheldon318
    Options
    I found this site Cool Running. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/index.shtml

There is a section on there that shows how to build up your distance and time. I haven't used it yet, because I was scared, but it seems doable... And now talking about it makes me think I may try it.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I am not the only one struggling to do this. I went to the track last night and didn't run but the time before...well not great. I take the straight section of the track and run that then walk the rest of the way. Only the straight area on one side at this point. I am glad to know it gets easier I have never been a runner.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I started off with 30 seconds running, and 5 minutes whining! 45 seconds running, 10 minutes waddling and out of breath. Now I am up to running a good mile without stopping at all. (YEY ME!)

Yay you is right!!

I had started running last fall. I managed 30 seconds at a time, twice in a 20 minute period. Due to asthma and a large chest, I just never ran.

However, post-breast reduction and with my asthma under control, this thread has motivated me to start running! I know it'll start out as 30 secs of running for every 10 minutes of walking, but like you've all said -- gotta start somewhere!!

Keep it up Trish, you can do this!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I'm having alot of success on the couch to 5k program. If you google it, you can find out all about it, but it's a running program and at the end of 9 weeks you'll be able to run a 5k--how fast is another story, but it's a start! I'm on week 7 and that is 3 days of 25 minute runs and never in my life did I think I'd be able to run 25 minute straight. It starts you out running for 30 seconds and walking for 3 minutes or something like that. It's easy to follow and I'm actually having some fun doing it (whoever would've thunk!!! :laugh: )

So, you could check that out if you like! :)
    Heidi
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm having alot of success on the couch to 5k program. If you google it, you can find out all about it, but it's a running program and at the end of 9 weeks you'll be able to run a 5k--how fast is another story, but it's a start! I'm on week 7 and that is 3 days of 25 minute runs and never in my life did I think I'd be able to run 25 minute straight. It starts you out running for 30 seconds and walking for 3 minutes or something like that. It's easy to follow and I'm actually having some fun doing it (whoever would've thunk!!! :laugh: )

Heidi

Was gonna post that, great advice :)
  • sunbug501
    sunbug501 Posts: 180
    Options

Heidi

Checked this out! THANKS!!! I am going to try this...it seems much better than me trying to get myself where I need to be on my own!
  • mb2bthin
    mb2bthin Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Heidi
    [/quote

Great thank you. I just googled it and will give it a try. thanks:happy: