Since when is a size 12 an "XL"?

Options
compass172
compass172 Posts: 15 Member
Society is really screwing up how women and girls see themselves. Lululemon is a clothing company that targets active women, but only up to a size 12 (and even then they don't offer much or encourage those at that size to shop there). A woman can be active and a size 12 or larger. I'd boycott Lululemon on principle, but I can't afford their clothes anyway :p

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I support your decision. From now on I only buy my dresses at Lane Bryant.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You're right. That's total crap. Amusingly, Lululemon has been having it's own problems, including a gigantic recall on it's yoga pants. See:

http://luluaddict.blogspot.com/2013/03/pantsgate-how-see-through-are-pants_21.html
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Tuesday.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I guess they are not using vanity sizing.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Like abercrombie and fitch they don't want the bigger ladies advertising their clothes (by wearing them).
    It's their prerogative...

Everyone identifies with certain brands, because of the way they look or are cut for a good fit (or their cost)... You just find the brands that suit you. :wink:
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just read an article yesterday how they toss the 10 and 12 sizes in a pile in the back, while the other smaller sizes are neatly folded inthe rest of the store. They say they don't sell as much of those sizes.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Lululemon isn't alone. Have you ever gone to a race where they have "women's sizing" for the t-shirts? This is especially true for marathons, and there are all sizes of women who run marathons.
    Even if I wear a Small or Medium in other clothes, I almost always get a Large or XL race shirt. I guess the truly XL women have to get the mens shirts...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Society is really screwing up how women and girls see themselves. Lululemon is a clothing company that targets active women, but only up to a size 12 (and even then they don't offer much or encourage those at that size to shop there). A woman can be active and a size 12 or larger. I'd boycott Lululemon on principle, but I can't afford their clothes anyway :p
    A strong confident female doesn't conform to the prerequisites of how the media portrays how a woman should be. Females adhere due to influence. Lululemon has every right to market to whom they want to and if their target is size 12 and lower, then there shouldn't be hard feelings about it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I thought it always had been. The clothing is a standard Misses' sizing.

0-2 = XXS
    2-4 = XS
    4-6 = S
    6-8 = M
    8-10 = M/L
    10-12 = L/XL
    12-14 = XL/XXL

Above 12-14, the sizes change to a Women's sizing.

Some stores have adjusted so that 4-6 becomes XS, but it is a vanity adjustment. They also have adjusted Misses' clothing to go up to sizes 16-18 so that they can market to more people.

If you're upset by this, imagine Japan. a size 6 petite is XL or XXL in many stores.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

0-2 = XXS
    2-4 = XS
    4-6 = S
    6-8 = M
    8-10 = M/L
    10-12 = L
    12-14 = XL

Some stores have adjusted so that 4-6 becomes XS, but it is a vanity adjustment. They also have adjusted Misses' clothing to go up to sizes 16-18 so that they can market to more people.

If you're upset by this, imagine Japan. a size 6 petite is XL or XXL in many stores.

QFT. For as long as I can remember "Plus Sizing" has started at size 12. Even LB starts at size 12 and in my memory always has.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    No one sees the tags on your clothing anyway.

Sure, the smaller number makes me feel good..... But honestly, as long as an item of
    clothing fits well and flatters my figure, I could care less what size the tag says.
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    i don't know, i take more issue with stores like old navy, who sell plus size clothes but ONLY online. love the message of 'sure we'll take your money but we don't want to see you in our stores, fatty.'
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    i don't know, i take more issue with stores like old navy, who sell plus size clothes but ONLY online. love the message of 'sure we'll take your money but we don't want to see you in our stores, fatty.'

Really? I didn't realize that. So, I guess plus sizes don't need to try on clothes? That's really odd.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Uhhh...size 12 is large at the very least, bordering on XL. At that's from somebody who *likes* a size 12. OP has panties in a bunch. Big, extra large panties. :devil:

Chart posted by BeachGinger is on the money...always has been in my memory.

If anything, men's sizing might be more vanity focused than women's. Chest sizes in shirts have gone up 2-4 inches since I was a kid. Used to be 34-36 was small, 38-40 was a medium. Now mediums most places are 40-42, and cut *very* generously. Larges now run 44-46, XL doesn't even start until 48.

Point being, calling a 12 an extra large isn't inaccurate at all, and it's sure a lot better than calling it a medium, like is happening in men's sizes now.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

0-2 = XXS
    2-4 = XS
    4-6 = S
    6-8 = M
    8-10 = M/L
    10-12 = L
    12-14 = XL

QFT. For as long as I can remember "Plus Sizing" has started at size 12. Even LB starts at size 12 and in my memory always has.

Every store I can think of, besides Lulu, carries up to size 14 in their regular clothes. Where does plus start at 12?? And I don't get why, in this chart, there is no "L"? Each other designation gets it's own, but you only have m/l and l/xl. I've been a 14 and can assure you I've never worn xxl, and rarely even xl - this chart is way off. Anyway I do agree that Lulu can market to whoever they want.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have to wear a size xl from lululemon and know, no matter how much it might irritate me, that it's accurate - than wear a size 6 from Gap or Old Navy and know that it's just vanity sizing and not reality, anyway. Sounds like OP wants her ego stroked. LuLuLemon won't conform? *ZOMG* Insult! Body Shaming! *ZOMG*
  • compass172
    compass172 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I in no way support conforming to media/society ideals, however I am not an impressionable youth. In regards to sizing, I never claimed a size 12 was "small" but in sizing for women (not juniors etc) an XL is a 16/18. Having been a true XL I would love to be a 12, which most brands consider 10/12 a medium. My issue is more taken with the fact that someone selling active wear is making the statement that someone who is larger than a size 12 cannot possibly be active. MFP is a prime example of very active people that do not fit into this peg hole. In the same way that being skinny does not mean you are healthy/ in shape.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    No one sees the tags on your clothing anyway.

Sure, the smaller number makes me feel good..... But honestly, as long as an item of
    clothing fits well and flatters my figure, I could care less what size the tag says.

So much this! The clothing in my closet ranges from size 10 to size 16 and I'm fine with it because at the end of the day I shop for fit, not for numbers.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My workout isn't a fashion show. I have shorts and sweats I've had for years and seem to get more free T-shirts than I can ever use and those are my workout clothes. I save my money for great clothes for other occasions, like work and socializing. I may be in lululemon's target market but you won't see me in their stores.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Uhhh...size 12 is large at the very least, bordering on XL. At that's from somebody who *likes* a size 12. OP has panties in a bunch. Big, extra large panties. :devil:

Chart posted by BeachGinger is on the money...always has been in my memory.

If anything, men's sizing might be more vanity focused than women's. Chest sizes in shirts have gone up 2-4 inches since I was a kid. Used to be 34-36 was small, 38-40 was a medium. Now mediums most places are 40-42, and cut *very* generously. Larges now run 44-46, XL doesn't even start until 48.

Point being, calling a 12 an extra large isn't inaccurate at all, and it's sure a lot better than calling it a medium, like is happening in men's sizes now.

how thoroughly patronising.

On topic, I find it with Fatface. I like their undershorts and went on the website to have a look, and a XXL is 38" waist. I think that's ludicrous. It's nothing to do with vanity. XXL implies seriously big, and 38 inch waist is not that!