Why am I gaining weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• badwolves
    Options
    I don't have you added so I can't see your diary but someone mentioned above that you have a high sodium intake. Try to cut back on that and drink a lot more water -- 8 8oz servings a day. You should drop some water weight.

Also, if you've done the same workout routine for the past month, you need to switch it up. You probably have some muscle memory going on. A routine is only good for a few weeks before your body gets used to it and it's no longer effective. And remember that you need to replace what you sweat out when you work out (with water, not Gatorade or anything like that). Not drinking enough water on a normal day is one thing, but not drinking enough when you work out is just asking to be dehydrated and bloated.
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Options
    Unfortunately, my menstrual cycle was last week. Not this week. Which is why I don't understand the scale!

Also, what is TDEE?

you mean FORTUNATELY it was last week, right?? cuz you know, CONGRATS ON NOT BEING PREGNANT!!!

the menstrual cycle effects different women differently. you might bloat before, after, during. your appetite can go out or down. trust me, i know what i'm talking about. all these threads about TOM on myfitnesspal, and i've started to bleed out of my *kitten* monthly.
    Oh my...you are funny :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    ^^ I've been weight lifting every other day for a month and a half and doing at least 30 min of cardio a day and haven't gained any weight back. I'm a newbie at this but muscle conversion doesn't quite work like that.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    More cal for breakfast, less sodium, more fruits and veggies. Try that for a couple weeks.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You aren't consistently logging, or some days, you have 1.5 meals...

Your sodium is high.

You said you aren't sure about how much water you are drinking - I say the gain is from the sodium.

Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat?
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    I am 5 foot 1. Currently 157 pounds. I started at 163. My goal is 130.

You need to change your pounds-per-week to 1.. no, it doesn't look as good as saying you'll lose 2lbs per week, but it is more sustainable (and you get to EAT!!)

I'm 5'3, 162lbs (from 220), and I'm at 1775 a day for cals (mind you I just bumped them again after injury and illness. Bring on the food!!). 1200 cals a day doesn't work for many
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hi There: Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    Your body has hit a plateau.
    Try this Cleansing Diet for a week-please check out
    www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html
    This is a delicious soup and vegetable diet-no depriving oneself-Just a good cleanse.
    Good Luck!

NONSENSE. Ridiculous, against the guidelines, bulls*it. a) 1 week does not constitute a plateau. b) just no. no. no. no. NO.
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    This is a delicious soup and vegetable diet-no depriving oneself-Just a good cleanse.
    Good Luck!

No!!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!

NONSENSE. Ridiculous, against the guidelines, bulls*it. a) 1 week does not constitute a plateau. b) just no. no. no. no. NO.

QFT
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If it's not related to that your time of the month, than I would recommend changing up your exercise routine. You mentioned you've been exercising the same for the last 4 weeks. Your body falls into a routine eventually, once it knows what's coming it's way, it doesn't have to work as hard, which results in fewer calories burned. Try to change up your exercise routine about every 3-5 workouts. It keeps things fresh and interesting for you, and also keeps that body guessing!

Good luck!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!

OMG! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you have no medical issues then your body cleanses itself quite well without crazy fad diets!

Try this calculator to find your TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Just be honest about your activity. (And this is set so you don't have to track or eat back your exercise calories - too easy!!!)

1200 is much to low for most people without a medical reason. I lose at 1900 per day. (2200 is my TDEE.)

Best of luck.
  • klo1335
    klo1335 Posts: 13
    Options
    Looking over your food diary I would add more fresh fruit to your diet and cut back on the sodium. Like other posters have said, sodium can make you bloat and thus not lose weight on the scale. I have the kind of body that needs to constantly be doing something different. I vary my cardio daily and can't eat the same thing everyday or my body just doesn't budge at all. When I did WW a few years ago I would have weeks like that. I would lose weight and then nothing and then lose more again. You just have to keep with it and not give up :)
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Looking over your food diary I would add more fresh fruit to your diet and cut back on the sodium. Like other posters have said, sodium can make you bloat and thus not lose weight on the scale. I have the kind of body that needs to constantly be doing something different. I vary my cardio daily and can't eat the same thing everyday or my body just doesn't budge at all. When I did WW a few years ago I would have weeks like that. I would lose weight and then nothing and then lose more again. You just have to keep with it and not give up :)

But sodium does not effect FAT loss. The scale isn't always a good representation of anything, visuals are. Take photos and measurements weekly. Fresh fruit doesn't make someone lose fat, either.

weight will always fluctuate, and for on week being above what you were before is not an issue, its when you get to 3-4 weeks and nothing has changed or its going up still.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm going to call out the sodium levels. If I eat over my sodium allotment for the day like clockwork the scale shows a higher number the next day. It's not fat, it's just retained water. Try to watch that number a little more closely. :)

Best of luck and congrats on getting married! :)
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Are you gaining muscle? It's heavier than fat by the pound.

No, just no.
    ^Haha
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are you gaining muscle? It's heavier than fat by the pound.

1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat. same concept of 1 ton of feathers = 1 ton of bricks