Dress size rants!

Options

Replies

• ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I went dress shopping yesterday. Since I haven't really purchased any dresses since my daughter was born 7 months ago, I grabbed an array of dress sizes, ranging from 6-10 and then some juniors from 7-11. Nothing fit right! Either too short, too small in the chest, too large in the chest, too snug in the waist, too loose in the waist. It was ridiculous! Either my body is totally weird and wonky or dress sizes are just terrible.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    BF definitely has fit issues with clothing so it really isn't easier for men. Have you ever shopped for men's dress shirts? They go by neck circumference and sleeve length so if you have a big neck and/or long arms you can end up with something that looks like a dress unless you get shirts custom-made or go to a tailor.

Trying to get a good fit can definitely suck. but you just have to keep trying things on and not get upset if you need to get a "larger" size than usual. Like, I saw someone complaining on another forum that she didn't like to shop at Lululemon because she has to get a size 6 or 8 and it makes her feel fat. Um, excuse me? Get over yourself, Cookie.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ladies! The answer is glaringly simple ... Stretchy fabrics! :drinker:
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you! I wanted to buy a nice dress, size L but my boobs didn't fit in, way too tight! Don't they get is that bigger women also got bigger boobs? It felt horrid I had to take a size larger just because of that, around my waist way too loose...

I hear ya on that one! I have two tops that look exactly the same, but they're different sizes and different colors. I didn't realize it in the store, but the smaller one looks a little odd on my chest because of my boobs. Whereas the larger one, though loose, looks better in the same area.

And don't get me started on button down blouses! I have to go two or three sizes up just to cover my boobs without having the buttons strain and possibly pop open.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    An outift for me is a potpurri of numbers. 8 below the waist. 6 above the waist. size 7 shoes. haha lol
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    How men get a choice from waist size and women just get a random '6, 8, 10' etc
    makes no sense to me.
    women's clothing sizes are different in every single shop whereas the men can never go wrong because all they need to look out for is their waist size!
    Wrong. I have in my closet 4 pairs of pants that all fit me, 31, 32, 33, and 34. My waist is 32" but pants sit at different places on my waist. Jeans at the hip, dress pants higher, and so on.

Once you are in decent shape and care about how things fit, then it's just as much as a pain in the butt to find clothes. Most men just don't give a crap and it shows.

And don't even get me started on dress shirts. Shirts have an unstated waist size. Good luck finding a dress shirt that fits my shoulders and doesn't produce a tent of fabric over my belly that makes me look fat.
    I know! Men have a lot more to choose from!
    I know! I can wear: pants, pants, pants, or maybe pants.
    For shirts, I can wear: dress shirts, polos, maybe a T-shirt.

What a choice!

Don't forget the ever sexy sweater vest.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

What you know about rockin' a wolf on your noggin?
    What you knowin' about wearin' a fur fox skin?
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    vanity sizing is the worst.

also trying to use the same pattern they use to make a size 6 shirt to make a size 24 shirt. fat womens bodies are built differently. you can't just make a shirt wider and expect it to fit.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

What you know about rockin' a wolf on your noggin?
    What you knowin' about wearin' a fur fox skin?

I’ma take your grandpa's style, I’ma take your grandpa's style
    No for real, ask your grandpa, "Can I have his hand-me-downs?" (Thank you!)
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed with where they put the waistline, sometimes it is near the belly button other times it is on the ribs just under the boobs.

I find the sizes change season to season, or even batch of clothing to next batch. Leggings are terrible, sometimes they will say they are one size but in fact are smaller, I also noticed that size 6,8 and 10 are quite close in size but on the slightly larger size then when you go from 12 upwards the sizing changes and becomes smaller, in some stores I can wear a 14 but in others I am a size 18/20, so now I have given up trying to find anything to fit perfectly...
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    I hate shopping for pants!
    I have to try 20 pairs on to find one that fits! They are a PITA!!!!
    They all have different cuts, some run small, and others run large!
    I am 5'2' petite, and it's a nightmare for me! Legs are too long, and in some to short.
    Waist is too tight, or fit perfectly, while the crotch hangs, or the thighs are too tight!
    What's a woman to do? Tailoring is an option, but the money you spend on a good pair
    of pants should exclude extra money for a dry cleaners or tailor! I have begun to prefer looking in
    consignment shops for pant that have been pre worn and also tailored! I find all kinds of brands!
    This is working for me, designer duds are found quite easily! The good news is you save about
    80% as well buying them! I love a good bargain! Ladies remember, Jeans are more forgiving than
    dress pants, so go up a size if need be!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I loathe buying pants. Even though I'm 5'6", many are way too long and since I carry so much fat in my midsection, if the waist fits, the butt and legs are baggy. I'm working on an overall BF% reduction to get rid of the belly and squattin' like a mofo to get a butt that fills out pants.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Officially zen about size. I buy the size with the best fit. And then have alternations to make it fit in my shoulders, etc. Everything is better taken in.. letting clothes out is a crap shoot.

I wear size NYDJ 6, Ralph Lauren Jeans 6 or 8... I wear a small or 4 talbots top, a large Rebecca Taylor. Go figure. Just go for what flatters.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    How men get a choice from waist size and women just get a random '6, 8, 10' etc
    makes no sense to me.
    women's clothing sizes are different in every single shop whereas the men can never go wrong because all they need to look out for is their waist size!
    Wrong. I have in my closet 4 pairs of pants that all fit me, 31, 32, 33, and 34. My waist is 32" but pants sit at different places on my waist. Jeans at the hip, dress pants higher, and so on.

Once you are in decent shape and care about how things fit, then it's just as much as a pain in the butt to find clothes. Most men just don't give a crap and it shows.

And don't even get me started on dress shirts. Shirts have an unstated waist size. Good luck finding a dress shirt that fits my shoulders and doesn't produce a tent of fabric over my belly that makes me look fat.
    I know! Men have a lot more to choose from!
    I know! I can wear: pants, pants, pants, or maybe pants.
    For shirts, I can wear: dress shirts, polos, maybe a T-shirt.

What a choice!

this dude gets it
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I wish more men wore kilts, myself.
    [/quote]

THIS. I'm sorry, but men in kilts are smoking hot. Except maybe that guy in Austen Powers.
  • mujimu87
    mujimu87 Posts: 29
    Options
    I am UK SIZE 4 (US size 0) and clothes shopping is generally a *****...and I hate having to get clothes for teenagers/even children. I HAVE PYJAMA bottoms age 7/8...crazy world!

xxx
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you! I wanted to buy a nice dress, size L but my boobs didn't fit in, way too tight! Don't they get is that bigger women also got bigger boobs? It felt horrid I had to take a size larger just because of that, around my waist way too loose...

I have the opposite problem! Most my shirts seem to assume I have gargantuan sized boobs, which I do not. They're not tiny - but neither are they as big as the shirts would like them to be.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have a larger bust, so I hate when I don't find dresses that really fit. The dresses in the size that fits my middle section well, don't get closed up. The dresses that fit my bust are larger in the middle section and make me look sloppy and bigger than I am.
    It's quite annoying, because in function of the style of the dress, I wear way different sizes.
    And when buying formal attire, I hate when I ask for a size just to find out is the wrong one.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options

And don't get me started on button down blouses! I have to go two or three sizes up just to cover my boobs without having the buttons strain and possibly pop open.

haahaa I have ALWAYS had this problem. If I'm a large I have to get an extra large to accommodate boobs. If I get small enough to wear a medium I have to buy a large to AGAIN accommodate boobs.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options

My poor husband has a thick neck and large shoulders. To get a dress shirt that doesn't strangle him and fit his shoulders he has to get it a larger size that just looks ridiculous.