Critique my diet please!

Options
The following stats are pretty much follow most days except my workout off days (6 days on, 1 day off) and my day off eating to my BMR.

Weight: 217
BF%: 25.3
Height: 5'10
BMR:2100 calories

Weight Goal: 200
BF% Goal: Sub 20%

Calories: 1,800 -2,000
Carbs: 130-150
Fat: 52-80
Protein: 170-185
Sodium 3500-5000 (this really comes from turkey/chicken/ham/egg beaters)
Sugar: 78

Water consumption: 1 to 1.5 gallons

Exercise
Weight Training: 45 minutes
Cardio Training: 45 mnutes

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

Replies

• JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Under your goals menu, click on change goals>custom

For Carbohydrates, change that to 40%. The others (fat and protein) should change to 30% each. Click save. Follow that instead.

Now, make sure most all of your carbohydrates are coming from vegetables and SOME fruit. The occasional piece of bread/tortilla is fine, but the bulk of your carbs should come from veggies.

Definitely try to lower your sodium intake unless you're in a very hot (120 degrees) climate. Sodium causes you heart issues and it causes you to hold extra water weight.

Also, when are you eating? How often? How long do you fast between supper and breakfast?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Under your goals menu, click on change goals>custom

For Carbohydrates, change that to 40%. The others (fat and protein) should change to 30% each. Click save. Follow that instead.

Now, make sure most all of your carbohydrates are coming from vegetables and SOME fruit. The occasional piece of bread/tortilla is fine, but the bulk of your carbs should come from veggies.

Definitely try to lower your sodium intake unless you're in a very hot (120 degrees) climate. Sodium causes you heart issues and it causes you to hold extra water weight.

Otherwise, keep the course. Being successful is mostly just being routine and boring. :-)

Please don't give out this false information, that is worrying what you have just written.

Domin8orx, I'd use a proper calculator to work out your calories and macros mate..

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If you need anymore help, come back!
  • domin8orx
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys.

Per the site you listed ritchiebulk, my BMR is 1968, but my fat loss is at 2371.

I'm not starving at any point in the day when I eat at my BMR, but would the extra 400 cal actually help me out?

Also, what was the bad info?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories you need to survive (estimation) - you aren't SUPPOSED to eat under it, whilst over a short term it won't do you any harm - you do not need to eat under it to lose weight.

With the site, set the activity level to "Little/No Exercise" though - as calculations seem to over estimate.

He gave plenty of bad advice.. (The carb advice) and lowering sodium intake, just needless information that has no affect on fat loss what-so-ever.

He then started to mention meal frequency (asking how many times you eat a day) does not matter, eat when you want, just hit targets.
  • domin8orx
    Options
    I'll adjust calorie intake to 2100 ( about 150 over BMR).

I'll have to add a protein snack with my afternoon pre-workout banana.

Getting my carbs to around 65 is insane. Is that even healthy??
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I'll adjust calorie intake to 2100 ( about 150 over BMR).

I'll have to add a protein snack with my afternoon pre-workout banana.

Getting my carbs to around 65 is insane. Is that even healthy??

We don't _NEED_ carbs, well, we do to an extent, but people have a fine time without them, personally II love carbs and they do NOT effect weight loss..

I eat 280g carbs roughly per day right now, well, between 240-280g.

If you are weight training I recommend you consume carbs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This might help with the whys for some of the recommendations you're getting, and it's a good read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    He gave plenty of bad advice.. (The carb advice) and lowering sodium intake, just needless information that has no affect on fat loss what-so-ever.

What makes his carb advice bad, exactly? It's his advice. Following exactly what he said -- making most of your carbs from from vegetables and fruit -- isn't harmful at all.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out your lean mass but I would use an online calculator to do so and make sure you are getting at least 1g/lb of lean mass in the protein department. I like to keep my fats at about 90g and carbs get the rest, usually about 120ish. Don't go by percentages, go by your actual needs :)
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

What makes his carb advice bad, exactly? It's his advice. Following exactly what he said -- making most of your carbs from from vegetables and fruit -- isn't harmful at all.

Unnecessary advice =//= bad advice.

Why should a human deprive themselves of foods when we don't need to? I don't eat fruit - but I eat plenty of vegetables and make sure I get my micros.

A diet where you remove foods from it, is usually not sustainable and a perfect way to NOT enjoy life.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Why should a human deprive themselves of foods when we don't need to? I don't eat fruit - but I eat plenty of vegetables and make sure I get my micros.

A diet where you remove foods from it, is usually not sustainable and a perfect way to NOT enjoy life.

I'm confused. I agree, unnecessary advice does not equal bad advice. You called his advice bad (it isn't -- getting the majority of your carbs from veggies and fruits, with occasional refined carbs is pretty healthful). What you seem to be advocating is that it's unnecessary to do so -- which is a reasonable opinion as well.

Just wanted to be clear that you weren't of the opinion that eating more veggies and fruit is a bad thing, in case the original poster was confused.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I'm confused. I agree, unnecessary advice does not equal bad advice. You called his advice bad (it isn't -- getting the majority of your carbs from veggies and fruits, with occasional refined carbs is pretty healthful). What you seem to be advocating is that it's unnecessary to do so -- which is a reasonable opinion as well.

Just wanted to be clear that you weren't of the opinion that eating more veggies and fruit is a bad thing, in case the original poster was confused.

Well the OP stated that he is weight lifting, imo a weightlifter doesn't want to be getting his carbs from mainly fruit and veg.

My problem was the guy responded saying "its okay to have some bread or a wrap" or something along those lines - that sends out a poor message.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Well the OP stated that he is weight lifting, imo a weightlifter doesn't want to be getting his carbs from mainly fruit and veg.

My problem was the guy responded saying "its okay to have some bread or a wrap" or something along those lines - that sends out a poor message.

I'm curious as to why you would not consider fruit to be an acceptable form of carbohydrate for a weightlifter. Granted, it's not the normal bulking diet, but as far as getting carbohydrates into your body quickly during periworkout nutrition, the only thing that would beat fruit in terms of digestive speed would be, what? Pure glucose? It's all sugar. What do you eat for PWO nutrition?

I look at the statement, "it's okay to have some bread or a wrap", and turn it into the opposite, "it's not okay to have some bread or a wrap" -- I think the second statement is far more controversial than the first.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I definitely think getting your carbs from vegetables vs pop tarts (guilty sometimes!) is better for your body, but even "good carbs" should not be had at the expense of your protein or fat needs. I see way too many diaries with hundreds of carbs and protein is in the 50's or 60's. No bueno.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I'm curious as to why you would not consider fruit to be an acceptable form of carbohydrate for a weightlifter. Granted, it's not the normal bulking diet, but as far as getting carbohydrates into your body quickly during periworkout nutrition, the only thing that would beat fruit in terms of digestive speed would be, what? Pure glucose? It's all sugar. What do you eat for PWO nutrition?

I look at the statement, "it's okay to have some bread or a wrap", and turn it into the opposite, "it's not okay to have some bread or a wrap" -- I think the second statement is far more controversial than the first.

It's controversial to me, because he doesn't have to mention ANY of the information he has. For a start this guy isn't bulking, he is cutting, so his calorie intake will be lower than usual and carbs (breads, pasta, treats) etc are usually a good way to deal with cravings. Also, the digestive speed is irrelevant, but we both know eating a load of bread, pasta etc will be more filling than eating fruit in terms of quantity, also.

I train fasted, then eat a huge *kitten* meal (my diary is open if you go to yesterday, first meal is what I ate afterr training, 2nd meal is what i ate later iin the day).
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be netting your BMR- especially with only 17 pounds to lose. I think your protein goal is great. The fat does seem a little low. I think you should aim for about 80-90g instead. The recommendation is 0.4g/ pound of body weight.

Otherwise, your diet looks great. In my opinion, sodium doesn't really matter, especially with the amount of water you drink.
    Are you losing weight? Is this just a check-in, or are you having problems?

And, to address the other posters concerning bad/ unnecessary advice... It wasn't just the carb advice that caused the other poster to say the advice was bad. That we could have probably overlooked as just a difference of opinion... it was when he then went into talking about when the OP eats and how long he fasts between dinner and breakfast. The poster believes that has nothing to do with anything and that's why he called it out as bad advice before the OP could respond and basically get told to start IF. Yes, it could just be a difference of opinion and many may not think it was bad advice... but the he is entitled to his opinion, just as the first commenter was. That's what makes MFP great. Lots of ways to go about getting fit... just have to find the one that works for you and your lifestyle. :wink:

OP, if there's a particular reason you're asking, please let us know, maybe we can elaborate on a specific area.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    You should definitely be netting your BMR- especially with only 17 pounds to lose. I think your protein goal is great. The fat does seem a little low. I think you should aim for about 80-90g instead. The recommendation is 0.4g/ pound of body weight.

Otherwise, your diet looks great. In my opinion, sodium doesn't really matter, especially with the amount of water you drink.

And, to address the other posters concerning bad/ unnecessary advice... It wasn't just the carb advice that caused the other poster to say the advice was bad. That we could have probably overlooked as just a difference of opinion... it was when he then went into talking about when the OP eats and how long he fasts between dinner and breakfast. The poster believes that has nothing to do with anything and that's why he called it out as bad advice before the OP could respond and basically get told to start IF. Yes, it could just be a difference of opinion and many may not think it was bad advice... but the he is entitled to his opinion, just as the first commenter was. That's what makes MFP great. Loss of ways to go about getting fit... just have to find the one that works for you and your lifestyle. :wink:

OP, if there's a particular reason you're asking, please let us know, maybe we can elaborate on a specific area.

I did not, and never tell anyone to start IF, IF has no effect on weight loss for a start. I just wanted to point out meal frequency is irrelevant.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

And, to address the other posters concerning bad/ unnecessary advice... It wasn't just the carb advice that caused the other poster to say the advice was bad. That we could have probably overlooked as just a difference of opinion... it was when he then went into talking about when the OP eats and how long he fasts between dinner and breakfast. The poster believes that has nothing to do with anything and that's why he called it out as bad advice before the OP could respond and basically get told to start IF. Yes, it could just be a difference of opinion and many may not think it was bad advice... but the he is entitled to his opinion, just as the first commenter was. That's what makes MFP great. Loss of ways to go about getting fit... just have to find the one that works for you and your lifestyle. :wink:

I did not, and never tell anyone to start IF, IF has no effect on weight loss for a start. I just wanted to point out meal frequency is irrelevant.

I meant, you called it bad advice before the other poster could tell OP to start IF... which is where the "how long do you fast between dinner and breakfast" questions usually lead.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    It's controversial to me, because he doesn't have to mention ANY of the information he has. For a start this guy isn't bulking, he is cutting, so his calorie intake will be lower than usual and carbs (breads, pasta, treats) etc are usually a good way to deal with cravings. Also, the digestive speed is irrelevant, but we both know eating a load of bread, pasta etc will be more filling than eating fruit in terms of quantity, also.

It's my understanding that many bodybuilders focus quite strongly on carbohydrate intake in the time directly around their workouts, and that time was a consideration. I don't do this, personally, hence my question. As for satiety, I don't find any of them to be particularly satiating, but that's kind of a personal preference thing.

For me, carbs are a good way to lead to cravings. So I avoid them. Again, preference thing. We've kind of derailed the conversation at this point, so I'll let it get back on track. Thanks for the discussion.
  • domin8orx
    Options
    I have been stuck between the 215-220 range for a few months.

I've gotten off the ellyptical (hard on the joints running at 250lbs) and recently started building up my running stamina (almost able to complete a 5k non stop) and also biking as well (did my first spin class yesterday).

I have been eating under 2k since I started and I've been a bit gunshy adding more calories to loose weight.

To up my fat %, I'll convert some non-fat items to fat.