Need some support

Options
I'm feeling frustrated and it's all my own fault. I just can't seem to get it together lately. I want to lose weight. I want to feel better. I don't want to feel fat and bloated all the time. Why is it that I know what I want but I just can't make myself commit to it 100%? :( I'm feeling cloudy like the day is.

Replies

• MarciaAG
    Options
    Hi! I completely know what you are talking about. It is a very difficult thing to do. I felt the same way for too many years, I kept saying this is it the last summer I will look like this, but then did nothing to change. What ended up working for me was one piece of advice.... just change 1 behaviour/habit at a time. For example just start drinking more water, thats it, do that until it is a habit. Maybe replace a pop or a glass of juice once or twice and you are already making a difference. Then stop eating after dinner, or switch the junk food bed time snack for some fruit. Anything like that. Then change something else, maybe add a walk around the block every day. I found by only trying to change one thing it became less intimidating and challenging. You only have to commit to drinking water, not change your entire lifestyle and relationship with food. At least not yet and by the time you have changed a few things one at a time, you will have committed without realizing it!!!
    Just dont be hard on yourself, you can do it!!!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I tried different diets and no success either, some not even for a week I could hold on. But now I got a LCHF diet and it's going perfectly (keto diet or Atkins for example)! I feel stuffed most of the times and with that the snacking has stopped.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When you're ready it will happen - start slow, log your foods - all of them and some day you will look back and make some healthy changes.

Just keep logging your foods and pretty soon it will hit you.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling frustrated and it's all my own fault. I just can't seem to get it together lately. I want to lose weight. I want to feel better. I don't want to feel fat and bloated all the time. Why is it that I know what I want but I just can't make myself commit to it 100%? :( I'm feeling cloudy like the day is.

Because it's easier to stay in your current habits. It's easier to say yes to the food than to say no. Just start with a smaller defecit and see if that gets you going.

Edit: I would change your ticker from "x #s to go" to "x #s lost". Personally, I find it demotivating to only think about how far I have left to go. I'd much rather think about how far I've come (and how much I have to lose by falling off the wagon).
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    You have to ask yourself how bad do you want it. If you want it bad enough, there will be no excuses. We've all been there from time to time. There are times when I have a mental argument with myself about going to the gym.

Fitness starts in the kitchen. Get your calories under control and start exercising. The more weight you lose the easier it gets.
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I tried different diets and no success either, some not even for a week I could hold on. But now I got a LCHF diet and it's going perfectly (keto diet or Atkins for example)! I feel stuffed most of the times and with that the snacking has stopped.

I did Atkins for a year and lost 50 lbs. I had zero sugar for that whole year. When I tried to transition off of it (because I wasn't losing any more no matter what I did), by going to Weight Watchers, I gained it all back and another 45. I don't want to do a diet if I can help it. I want to try to keep it all well-rounded, something I can maintain for a lifetime.
  • cbumbalough
    Options

Because it's easier to stay in your current habits. It's easier to say yes to the food than to say no. Just start with a smaller defecit and see if that gets you going.

Edit: I would change your ticker from "x #s to go" to "x #s lost". Personally, I find it demotivating to only think about how far I have left to go. I'd much rather think about how far I've come (and how much I have to lose by falling off the wagon).

I'll do that. Thanks. You are right, it is easier to say yes than no.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's not easy and you are not alone in this!

Marcia has given you some great advice, making one small change at a time goes a long way. Looking at your beverage intake is a good place to start, since sodas, juice, coffee and tea with sugar and milk add up to a lot of calories. If you cut out only ONE can of soda every day, that's almost 1000 kcal a week right there.

If you feel like you eat too much during dinner time, a trick is to start off with a very easy to make soup. Just put on a big pot of water, add bouillon blocks and add whatever veggies you like: onion, bell pepper, leek, cauliflower etc etc. It's healthy, low calorie and fills you up.

It might also help to start logging your food without the intent to meet a calorie goal. Just start by logging everything for a couple of days and look at the big picture. Are you getting a lot of cals from beverages? Are you eating the same breakfast every day, or no breakfast at all? Are you getting more cals from snacks than you are getting from a decent dinner? Look at the areas where you can make small changes. Get in the habit of logging your food, it really helps to see what you eat. Also, keep in mind that you can still eat the foods that you like, but moderation is key :-)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

I did Atkins for a year and lost 50 lbs. I had zero sugar for that whole year. When I tried to transition off of it (because I wasn't losing any more no matter what I did), by going to Weight Watchers, I gained it all back and another 45. I don't want to do a diet if I can help it. I want to try to keep it all well-rounded, something I can maintain for a lifetime.

You're absolutely right! DIets are temporary solutions for temporary results. That's why I have the Paleo diet with low carbs, which is life time. Saying Paleo diet is a wrong way to say it, but that's how they called it. I can imagine you gained it all back again when you increased your carbs intake, that one hears a lot.
  • cbumbalough
    Options
    It's not easy and you are not alone in this!

Marcia has given you some great advice, making one small change at a time goes a long way. Looking at your beverage intake is a good place to start, since sodas, juice, coffee and tea with sugar and milk add up to a lot of calories. If you cut out only ONE can of soda every day, that's almost 1000 kcal a week right there.

If you feel like you eat too much during dinner time, a trick is to start off with a very easy to make soup. Just put on a big pot of water, add bouillon blocks and add whatever veggies you like: onion, bell pepper, leek, cauliflower etc etc. It's healthy, low calorie and fills you up.

It might also help to start logging your food without the intent to meet a calorie goal. Just start by logging everything for a couple of days and look at the big picture. Are you getting a lot of cals from beverages? Are you eating the same breakfast every day, or no breakfast at all? Are you getting more cals from snacks than you are getting from a decent dinner? Look at the areas where you can make small changes. Get in the habit of logging your food, it really helps to see what you eat. Also, keep in mind that you can still eat the foods that you like, but moderation is key :-)

Thanks for the advice. My calories don't come from drinks. I rarely drink soda. I occasionally have sweet tea, but if I get it from a restaurant, either I get unsweet and use Splenda or I get half sweet/half unsweet.

I eat all day is my problem. I'm not a late eater. Once I eat something, I pretty much obsess about it all day. It's mostly boredom related. I work at home and food is a distraction.
  • cbumbalough
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone! I really appreciate it. I am feeling more positive. I love MFP and how great everyone is to help others!
  • Desyreeolvera
    Desyreeolvera Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am the same way most days. You just have to stop and really think about what your eating and sometimes i know its bad so i will have a bite but not much more than that just to satisfy my craving. I think with exercise you can not rush into it, you have to start slowly and work your ay up to whatever is comfortable! I started walking and then slowly transitioned to jogging which my dog made easier because he loves jogging. Its just all about the support you get from your loved ones and you can always ask for support on MFP.
    Feel free to add me :)
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone! I really appreciate it. I am feeling more positive. I love MFP and how great everyone is to help others!
    Just be careful in these forums. There are plenty of nasty trolls strolling around.