Diet Drinks

Options
Hey MFP fam...Happy Thursday!

What do you guys think about diet drinks? The ones on the nutrition label that read "zero" all over the place.

At night when I am hungry, I try to fill up on as many liquids as possible to keep the hunger at bay until I'm sleep. However, plain water gets SUPER boring after a while, so I'll substitute that with a diet Arizona peach Iced Tea, or some other diet drink.

Some people tell me, diet drinks are horrible and stay away!

What's your thoughts on diet drinks? Keep drinking them for variety...or will water be my best friend for the rest of my existence. LOL.?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There are no problems having diet drinks as long as your not sensitive to any of the artificial sweeteners in them.

I find diet pop helps me from turning to food and have it as a snack now and again when I have a higher calorie day. I also love those Arizona drinks.

Have a small snack if you're hungry in the evening... nothing wrong with that. No issues with drinking diet drinks.. or have some herbal tea or other decaf tea if you want something different. I love Lipton's peach mango tea cold in the evening.
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    I love Lipton's peach mango tea cold in the evening.

You are my new favorite friend!:drinker:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't drink anything with the word "diet" on it. Severe headaches. I do like unsweetened ice tea or water with lemon or ginger or both. I also drink herbal teas hot and cold.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    personally I dont touch anything 'diet' with a 10ft pole!!! water water water which you can spice up with crystal light, lemon, lemon cayenne, mint/cucumber, etc :) The only fizzy drink I'll have is soda water hahaha
  • candysweener13
    candysweener13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stay away from diet drinks! The aspartame in them messes with your metabolism and also is the reason for many people getting the severe headaches among many other health conditions. Unfortunately, water is the best and believe me, I don't drink as much as I should of it. I do, however, add lemon to my water to give it a better taste, and it actually makes more thirsty for it. When I need a soda or an iced tea, I go with the regular stuff (just not often) and know that I need to work it off :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners are fine. They are one of the most studied additives that can be consumed with little concern.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cgphelps24
    cgphelps24 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I drink one coke zero daily. I feel that it is better than a regular soda and I don't want to deprive myself. For me that has always been my downfall, telling myself I can't have something makes me want it even more.

Also if you are hungry after drinking a glass of water you should really snack on something, just make sure it is healthy. You can actually start to gain weight if your body thinks you are starving.

Anyway that is my opinion.
    :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    why don't you save some calories for a late night snack? or have smaller or less meals during the day, so you can have a bigger and more filling meal?

i usually skip breakfast, so i can have a big meal at night. i prefer to have a big dinner. and a big dinner keeps me full well into the next morning so i can skip breakfast... it's a fun cycle!
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love my coke zero! It's my one vice, that I kind of need. I keep it to one a day, but that doesn't stop my husband from telling me how bad it is for me.
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    Make your own flavored water. I stick lemon, orange and mint in purified water and stick it in the fridge. The taste is different but then you started loving it! AND you get a true health kick in your drink! And if you want tea... Make it yourself! Buy package tea, make sure to check ingredients , brew a big pot. Add honey or stevia for sweetness then cool. Pour it in a pitcher and your good to go! Don't buy diet drinks. It's such a ripoff.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    Personally, I stay away from diet drinks! The aspartame in them messes with your metabolism...

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I didn't know that. #fail

Since my grandmother has diabetes, for YEARS we've made the switch to sugar substitues. :noway:

What do you recommend then? I hate unsweetened things.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    Personally I can't drink anything with the word "diet" on it. Severe headaches.

That's THE worst.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You'll drive yourself crazy if you read all the internet blogs about what's good, what isn't good... what's safe, what isn't safe, etc.

We're all gonna die from something. Enjoy life. Figure out what nutrition plan works for you and stick with it to reach your goal. If that includes a diet soda or tea, so be it.

If you wanna go all natural totally chemical free and all that.. well, good luck. It's tough to do. More power to ya though.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I like coke zero cherry and dr pepper 10. I mostly drink plain iced tea followed by water but if I want something else I go with those. I have not had any issues since I don't drink that much and it's a lot better than the sugar, carbs/calories I would consume in regular pop. The people who are telling you it's poison think that everything they react to should qualify as poison for everyone else or they just don't know any better.
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    Ps... Diet drinks are usually addictive bc of the aspartame and/or Splenda. Yeah there's no calories... But why drink/eat something that won't benefit you?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Aspartame does NOT mess with your metabolism..

I can't take this anymore, stop spreading lies!

Diet soda is fine to drink.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    Make your own flavored water. I stick lemon, orange and mint in purified water and stick it in the fridge. The taste is different but then you started loving it! AND you get a true health kick in your drink! And if you want tea... Make it yourself! Buy package tea, make sure to check ingredients , brew a big pot. Add honey or stevia for sweetness then cool. Pour it in a pitcher and your good to go! Don't buy diet drinks. It's such a ripoff.

That's some great advice. I will take note. The rest of my family loves diet sodas and stuff, so I have to try to persuade them to do something different.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Water Water Water!!! I buy the little propel zero packets and put them in my water for flavor. It has vitamins and electrolytes in it. Very good!!
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    Aspartame does NOT mess with your metabolism..

I can't take this anymore, stop spreading lies!

Diet soda is fine to drink.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Lies huh? I guess just in moderation though, right?
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    Water Water Water!!! I buy the little propel zero packets and put them in my water for flavor. It has vitamins and electrolytes in it. Very good!!

You should also try the Mio liquid things...they're great too...but limited in flavors.