More red meat, less CVD mortality

Options
I'm convinced red meat and saturated fat are healthful so this study was nice to see.

"Red meat intake was inversely associated with CVD mortality in men and with cancer mortality in women in Asian countries."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/07/31/ajcn.113.062638.short

Replies

• llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Woot! Cheeseburgers for dinner then.

Last month salt was good for you, this month red meat? Saturated fat has to be next food that's exonerated. It'll also be interesting to see what, if anything, the media does with this since Meat Kills headlines are so popular.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Not surprising at all, especially when the context excludes the SAD. Do you have access to the full study?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat has to be next food that's exonerated.

As it should be.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think most of the "red meat" scare comes from bad journalism. Red meat can mean a nice rump steak, but it can also mean McD's. So when people that eat "red meat" die earlier, I have severe doubts that (aside from a shed load of other variables to consider) that it was the meat itself causing the difference, more so the amount.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Not surprising at all, especially when the context excludes the SAD. Do you have access to the full study?
    No, unfortunately not.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I think most of the "red meat" scare comes from bad journalism. <snip>
    To some extent but they're just parroting what respected institutions like Harvard have to say -- which is still pretty much plants good, animals bad with red meat and saturated fat being the worst.
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just read the short version and I have to throw in my .02 I think that there should be given some thought to the socio-economic aspects of that study as well. In certain populations the access to greater quantities of red meat is an indication of higher income. Which could also expose one to better medical care.

I love well planned and handled studies and I'm not saying this isn't one of them. But, with that being said, it's not too hard to come to any conclusion you'd like if you just PLAN a study well enough...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I just read the short version and I have to throw in my .02 I think that there should be given some thought to the socio-economic aspects of that study as well. In certain populations the access to greater quantities of red meat is an indication of higher income. Which could also expose one to better medical care.

I love well planned and handled studies and I'm not saying this isn't one of them. But, with that being said, it's not too hard to come to any conclusion you'd like if you just PLAN a study well enough...
    As well as an increase of western processed foods. And the fact that your higher income group still showed an inverse relationship as well, keeps things in context.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat has to be next food that's exonerated.

As it should be.
    Oh, I agree. In hindsight it's weird how we all seemed to go along with the artery-clogging-saturated-fat thing considering our bodies MAKE saturated fat to use later but all of the news reports made it sound like it was proven and a done deal. I'm just glad I stumbled across the information at last so I could stop torturing my family with ground turkey and low fat dairy. :laugh:
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    <snip> It'll also be interesting to see what, if anything, the media does with this since Meat Kills headlines are so popular.
    I think the answer is nothing! I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere except a low carb site. Pretty disappointing, really.