Since when is a size 12 an "XL"?

Options

Replies

• KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    i don't know, i take more issue with stores like old navy, who sell plus size clothes but ONLY online. love the message of 'sure we'll take your money but we don't want to see you in our stores, fatty.'

^^^ This - Agreed 100%
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I thought it always had been. The clothing is a standard Misses' sizing.

0-2 = XXS
    2-4 = XS
    4-6 = S
    6-8 = M
    8-10 = M/L
    10-12 = L/XL
    12-14 = XL/XXL

Above 12-14, the sizes change to a Women's sizing.

Some stores have adjusted so that 4-6 becomes XS, but it is a vanity adjustment. They also have adjusted Misses' clothing to go up to sizes 16-18 so that they can market to more people.

If you're upset by this, imagine Japan. a size 6 petite is XL or XXL in many stores.

QTF.

Not to mention that I think that vanity sizes have done more to harm peoples perception than honestly sizing a piece of clothing. I have skirts that I bought 15 years ago in a size 10 that were tight on my size 4 body . . . I bought them at a store that no longer carries anything smaller than a 4 . . . so a store that I shopped at 15 years ago no longer sells clothing that fits on my body despite the fact that I'm larger than I was 15 years ago.

Also, it's just not practical for some stores to carry every size of clothing known to man, they can either sell a variety of sizes or a variety of styles, or pay for a larger space.

I don't care what the tag says on my clothing, but it pisses me off that vanity sizes make it difficult to buy on line because you're never quite certain what type of size "x" they're talking about.

If you're not buying lululemon, why do you care?
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I in no way support conforming to media/society ideals, however I am not an impressionable youth. In regards to sizing, I never claimed a size 12 was "small" but in sizing for women (not juniors etc) an XL is a 16/18. Having been a true XL I would love to be a 12, which most brands consider 10/12 a medium. My issue is more taken with the fact that someone selling active wear is making the statement that someone who is larger than a size 12 cannot possibly be active. MFP is a prime example of very active people that do not fit into this peg hole. In the same way that being skinny does not mean you are healthy/ in shape.

Today, a size 10/12 may be a medium. Historically, size 12-14 was always XL, and you had to go to Womens' sizes to get any larger than that.
    Lululemon is not saying that larger than size 12 cannot be active, they are choosing not to carry plus sizes. There are a lot of shops out there that don't carry plus sizes.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Uhhh...size 12 is large at the very least, bordering on XL. At that's from somebody who *likes* a size 12. OP has panties in a bunch. Big, extra large panties. :devil:

Chart posted by BeachGinger is on the money...always has been in my memory.

If anything, men's sizing might be more vanity focused than women's. Chest sizes in shirts have gone up 2-4 inches since I was a kid. Used to be 34-36 was small, 38-40 was a medium. Now mediums most places are 40-42, and cut *very* generously. Larges now run 44-46, XL doesn't even start until 48.

Point being, calling a 12 an extra large isn't inaccurate at all, and it's sure a lot better than calling it a medium, like is happening in men's sizes now.

how thoroughly patronising.

On topic, I find it with Fatface. I like their undershorts and went on the website to have a look, and a XXL is 38" waist. I think that's ludicrous. It's nothing to do with vanity. XXL implies seriously big, and 38 inch waist is not that!

It's all in perspective. I remember when my dad gained a bunch of weight when I was in high school, and we thought he was out of control. He had a 40" waist, and he's 6'2". As a society, it's clear that we are finding it acceptable to be larger than we ever have. Today, my dad wears a 38" waist and his cardiologist has told him that he MUST get the extra weight off for his health.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Every store I can think of, besides Lulu, carries up to size 14 in their regular clothes. Where does plus start at 12?? And I don't get why, in this chart, there is no "L"? Each other designation gets it's own, but you only have m/l and l/xl. I've been a 14 and can assure you I've never worn xxl, and rarely even xl - this chart is way off. Anyway I do agree that Lulu can market to whoever they want.

Anywhere I shop, plus size is definitely larger than a size 12. But I don't have a desire to spend $100 on lululemon pants, so their marketing practices don't really bother me.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I have clothes in my waredrobe ranging from SM to XL... the SM fits perfectly and the XL is too tight. weird...
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    how thoroughly patronising.

On topic, I find it with Fatface. I like their undershorts and went on the website to have a look, and a XXL is 38" waist. I think that's ludicrous. It's nothing to do with vanity. XXL implies seriously big, and 38 inch waist is not that!

Not sure how that's patronizing, unless the statement of my opinion is now officially that. You sound butthurt.

A 38" waist in men's clothing would be an L, not a double X. Historically it was 28-30 as small, 32-34 medium, 36-38 large. So on that point, we agree.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The chart I provided is based on traditional sizing over the past 30 years. Sizes have changed a lot because of vanity sizing.

Many clothing companies make their own size charts and don't follow guidelines. Clothing companies that want to market to a greater population will vanity size because it makes economic sense to market to people ranging from size 6-16. There are plenty of companies that call a 6 XS because it opens up to a larger target market.

It doesn't change the traditional sizing. It all depends on brands and shopping perceptions. People who are used to wearing a brand marked L but that are a size 14 will view the size as such. People who wear a different brand who are used to wearing XL but that are a size 12 will view their size as such. Take these 2 women into the opposite woman's store, and they will both complain that sizing is off.
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    i don't know, i take more issue with stores like old navy, who sell plus size clothes but ONLY online. love the message of 'sure we'll take your money but we don't want to see you in our stores, fatty.'

Really? I didn't realize that. So, I guess plus sizes don't need to try on clothes? That's really odd.

yeah not only that, but they price gouge something fierce. i was looking at their bathing suits--you could get a cute patterned bikini top for $15. go into the plus size section? there's only one bikini top to choose from, it's black, it's ugly, it's boring--it's $40. i think the whole ~it costs more because of the extra fabric~ excuse is bs to begin with, but nothing, NOTHING can justify making that bikini top nearly 3 times as much as the straight size ones.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I in no way support conforming to media/society ideals, however I am not an impressionable youth. In regards to sizing, I never claimed a size 12 was "small" but in sizing for women (not juniors etc) an XL is a 16/18. Having been a true XL I would love to be a 12, which most brands consider 10/12 a medium. My issue is more taken with the fact that someone selling active wear is making the statement that someone who is larger than a size 12 cannot possibly be active. MFP is a prime example of very active people that do not fit into this peg hole. In the same way that being skinny does not mean you are healthy/ in shape.

I dunno where you are shopping, but I pretty consistantly wear a 12/14 across many brands and everything is XL/XXL respectively...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What an odd thing to get butthurt about.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Well, they won't have me shopping at their store, even if I was to get BELOW my ideal weight, I'd still barely squeeze into a 12. I know because one upon a time, many, many years ago... I was 5 pounds below my ideal weight, and I wore size 12 jeans, but I had to lie down and hold my breath to zip them up, AND they hurt my hips. I think my skeleton could fit into a size 12.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    http://www.asknumbers.com/ClothingWomensConversion.aspx

This confirms with what I have understood the conversation to be (nice table because it includes US, UK, European and Australian sizes)
  • jessihoover
    Options
    This irks me too! I find it sooo difficult to find cute, comfortable, PRACTICAL excercise clothes! I'm a 20-22 and its nearly IMPOSSIBLE!! most stores only carry up to an XL which is like you said a max 12-14. Isn't that totally contradictory?? You say America is FAT/OBESE well the only way to get skinny/healthy is to work out, what are we supposed to wear while we do it?????!!! :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The chart I provided is based on traditional sizing over the past 30 years. Sizes have changed a lot because of vanity sizing.

Many clothing companies make their own size charts and don't follow guidelines. Clothing companies that want to market to a greater population will vanity size because it makes economic sense to market to people ranging from size 6-16. There are plenty of companies that call a 6 XS because it opens up to a larger target market.

It doesn't change the traditional sizing. It all depends on brands and shopping perceptions. People who are used to wearing a brand marked L but that are a size 14 will view the size as such. People who wear a different brand who are used to wearing XL but that are a size 12 will view their size as such. Take these 2 women into the opposite woman's store, and they will both complain that sizing is off.

I agree with you... sizes are very inflated. I am 5'9", 135 lbs with a large frame (wide shoulders, ribcage and hips). I can wear anything from an XS/0 on up to a L/8 depending on the designer/manufacturer. I think the L/8 is probably my "true" size based on traditional sizing charts and anyone who labels me smaller is playing to my vanity. Whenever I shop, I have to try things on in several sizes and when I shop online, I always look at the measurements in the sizing chart - they vary widely from place to place. I try not to get hung up on the number on the label and just wear what fits/looks good on me.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My issue is more taken with the fact that someone selling active wear is making the statement that someone who is larger than a size 12 cannot possibly be active. MFP is a prime example of very active people that do not fit into this peg hole. In the same way that being skinny does not mean you are healthy/ in shape.

What?

This makes no sense. It's clothes, not a statement.

The statement is in your head.

This is like saying if Lane Bryant sells pretty, formal dresses above a certain sizes, then thin people can't be pretty or formal. Or, if Aerin Rose makes swimsuits for busty women, then flat women cannot possibly swim or go to a beach.

Why is "activewear" somehow special?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    good thing we're not models, because plus size modeling starts at size 6.

someone mentioned race shirts--yeah, i definitely have to get XL without a doubt. even then, they're sometimes snug because of my ta-tas!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    This is why i prefer to be naked.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is why i prefer to be naked.

^^This.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I wish more pants sizing was done just with inches instead of the 2-12 style size, because I never know, going into a store which size their 6 is going to be, one I can wear or one that is too small on me. But when a pair of jeans says the waist is 29 I know it will fit, it doesn't matter what "size" they want to call it.