Question that I never seem to be able to find the answer to!

Options
So it's probably a really simple question, but I never see it mentioned anywhere. When I'm trying to drink plenty of water every day, sometimes it does get a little boring. I buy no added sugar 'squash' (the fruit drink you dilute with water) to make it a bit more palatable. Is there anything wrong with drinking this? It's only about 2 cals per glass and the only sweetener is sucralose.

Replies

• mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose#Health.2C_safety.2C_and_regulation

Safety studies

Results from over 100 animal and clinical studies in the FDA approval process unanimously indicated a lack of risk associated with sucralose intake.[27][28][29][30] However, some adverse effects were seen at doses that significantly exceeded the estimated daily intake (EDI), which is 1.1 mg/kg/day.[31] When the EDI is compared to the intake at which adverse effects are seen—known as the highest no adverse effects limit (HNEL)—at 1500 mg/kg/day,[31] there is a large margin of safety. The bulk of sucralose ingested is not absorbed by the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and is directly excreted in the feces, while 11–27% of it is absorbed.[4] The amount absorbed from the GI tract is largely removed from the blood stream by the kidneys and eliminated in the urine, with 20–30% of the absorbed sucralose being metabolized.[4]

Bye :)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it. Drink it if it helps you drink your liquids. Otherwise, if you don't like pure water drink juice (if you have the calorie) drink pop, drink tea or coffee, add crystal light, mio etc. You can also add lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, strawberries, etc into a large pitcher, fill with water and put in the fridge overnight for homemade flavoured water.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    No, there is nothing wrong with it.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    drink up! (and FINALLY I know what 'squash' is!)
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For people who don't like water flavored with things like citrus I suggest you try slicing some cucumber and leaving it in a pitcher of water overnight. Doesn't sound amazing but it really is. That's what a lot of spa's do with the water they serve guests. My kids even love it (didn't see that one coming!)
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You can make a big pitcher of water and put sliced up fruit or cucumbers, lemons and limes. even mint leaves. makes it yummy :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

So what do you call squash in American????

I like my water with bubbles in - makes for variety :smile:

(ed) and I've known a few people who drink hot water with a bit of lemon in - can't say it appeals to me, but again, variety???? And I used to drink tea (good old teabag tea with milk) and chop a chunk of root ginger into it which was loverly.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You can make a big pitcher of water and put sliced up fruit or cucumbers, lemons and limes. even mint leaves. makes it yummy :)

You beat me to it.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

(ed) and I've known a few people who drink hot water with a bit of lemon in - can't say it appeals to me, but again, variety???? And I used to drink tea (good old teabag tea with milk) and chop a chunk of root ginger into it which was loverly.

There is no squash in America. I grew up in England, and since moving to Canada, a bottle of squash always comes home with me from trips to England! I can get Ribena, but I much preferred orange squash when I was a kid.

Americans have iced tea, koolaid (powder that you mix with sugar and water), and pop/soda mainly.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

There is no squash in America. I grew up in England, and since moving to Canada, a bottle of squash always comes home with me from trips to England! I can get Ribena, but I much preferred orange squash when I was a kid.

Americans have iced tea, koolaid (powder that you mix with sugar and water), and pop/soda mainly.

NO SQUASH!!!!!!!! :-O :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There are some who believe artificial sweeteners may make you crave sweets more.
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There's nothing bad about drinking sweetend water.Personally when I sit on my computer I have a big bottle of water right next to me and I just drink.Especially now that it's summer it's even easier for me to drink a lot of water.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The American Diabetic Association has done research and no longer approves sucralose for diabetics because it causes a rise in insulin just like sugar.
  • franniwinkle89
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your awesome tips! I think I'll definitely try fruit in water overnight, that sounds delicious :) and omg no squash in America?? :(
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing squash my be a bit like mio or liquid crystal light??? When I get tired of drinking my plain water for the day, I go for strawberry lemonade flavor liquid crystal light. Its also great in club soda. I think it is best to drink plain water, but ok to drink supplements. As long as that's what it is, a supplement, not a replacement, to all water. I also like iced tea with sweet and low or ice coffee (I make my own usually with a mini creamer, soy milk, and a little splenda.)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Could be 'cause I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, Washington - but as far as I knew till I joined up here, "Squash" was gourd veggies ("winter squash") or zucchini / yellow squash ("summer squash" or I think you guys call it courgette). I had no idea it was a drink mix till this topic :laugh: