Diet Drinks

Options

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have to agree that too much DIET drinks is never a good thing and leads to weight gain.

No. It does not.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I avoid diet stuff it's usually packed with artificial sweetners which I believe in avoiding as they promote sweet cravings and apparently are all kinds of bad for you.

I like hot water, fizzy water, all kinds of teas and some herbal/fruit teas ice down really well. Some crushed fresh ginger and lime in water is lovely or in the summer lightly bruise some pommegranate seeds and put in a jug, fill up with ice and water, very tasty indeed.

"apparently" - why don't you do some extensive research instead of just spreading information like that, which makes people think differently - when you, yourself don't eveen know and have just said "APPARENTLY all kinds are bad for you"

Well, that's why I said 'apparently', because there's a lot of reasearch and stuff to support this which I'm aware of, I didn't say this was the word of God and the OP asked what other people do, so I answered him with my opinion I'm not spreading anything. Rude.

Yes, so don't say anything, and research it before you say anything? Why would you live your life not "knowing" why don't you educate yourself on the subject so you can give people proper advice? This is not rude, merely a discussion.
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not interested in debating whether artificial sweeteners are good or bad for a person, but aspartame gives me terrible headaches and I have avoided artificial sweeteners for over 15 years. However, I love carbonated drinks and hate the calories of regular soda, so I have learned to like LaCroix and other flavored carbonated waters with no added sweetener. At restaurants and bars, I order seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice and a lime instead of soda. Practically no calories but feels like a real beverage. And as others have said, unsweetened ice tea is good, too. If you add lemon (or orange, or other fruit of your choice), it will sweeten up the taste a bit. You have lots of good options besides plain water. You just need to be a little creative. Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am pro-diet drinks.

I am anti-people making ish up about why they're bad for you. First it was that you'll get cancer. Then, when the cancer thing was debunked, then its that they mess with your metabolism or that they mess up your blood sugar. The leading proof? Fat people drink diet soda ergo diet soda makes you fat. Beach please.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    personally I dont touch anything 'diet' with a 10ft pole!!! water water water which you can spice up with crystal light, lemon, lemon cayenne, mint/cucumber, etc :) The only fizzy drink I'll have is soda water hahaha

Crystral Light is a diet drink in itself......
  • candysweener13
    candysweener13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stay away from diet drinks! The aspartame in them messes with your metabolism and also is the reason for many people getting the severe headaches among many other health conditions. Unfortunately, water is the best and believe me, I don't drink as much as I should of it. I do, however, add lemon to my water to give it a better taste, and it actually makes more thirsty for it. When I need a soda or an iced tea, I go with the regular stuff (just not often) and know that I need to work it off :-)
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I avoid diet stuff it's usually packed with artificial sweetners which I believe in avoiding as they promote sweet cravings and apparently are all kinds of bad for you.

I like hot water, fizzy water, all kinds of teas and some herbal/fruit teas ice down really well. Some crushed fresh ginger and lime in water is lovely or in the summer lightly bruise some pommegranate seeds and put in a jug, fill up with ice and water, very tasty indeed.

"apparently" - why don't you do some extensive research instead of just spreading information like that, which makes people think differently - when you, yourself don't eveen know and have just said "APPARENTLY all kinds are bad for you"

Well, that's why I said 'apparently', because there's a lot of reasearch and stuff to support this which I'm aware of, I didn't say this was the word of God and the OP asked what other people do, so I answered him with my opinion I'm not spreading anything. Rude.

Yes, so don't say anything, and research it before you say anything? Why would you live your life not "knowing" why don't you educate yourself on the subject so you can give people proper advice? This is not rude, merely a discussion.

Research what? My own opinion and experience that they promote my sweet tooth? And that I have seen a lot of stuff saying to avoid them? The only advice I gave was on a really nice drink made with pommegranates!

Bye then.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Research what? My own opinion and experience that they promote my sweet tooth? And that I have seen a lot of stuff saying to avoid them? The only advice I gave was on a really nice drink made with pommegranates!

Bye then.

Research what you said " as they promote sweet cravings and apparently are all kinds of bad for you. "
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    I personally stray away since I had a slight addiction to Diet Coke. I ditched the Diet Coke and dropped ten pounds, BUT I'm not about to say that is why the pounds fell off. There were other things that I changed in my diet, so I will not be so bold to make that claim.

I DO indulge in Vitamin Water Zero when I crave juice. I have always wondered how 'good' or 'bad' that may be....thoughts are welcomed :-)

I am a juice *kitten*. I understand your penchant for juice...it is too good!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda before the Zero and Ten drinks started coming out (to me regular isn't worth the calories, diet tastes like battery acid), so I tend not to drink them. But if I do need a caffeine boost and don't feel like brewing a cup of coffee, that's my go-to because my brother loves them and the house is always stocked. They taste a heck of a lot better than regular diet drinks.

I do really like A&W 10 with a shot of vanilla vodka or Fresca with a shot of Kinky liqueur. They make great mixers.
  • candysweener13
    candysweener13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I didn't mean to start a war on here. This is what MY personal trainer told me, so that is why I stay away and it helps me. Which is why I said the word "personally". Believe me, there are many things that I'm eating that are probably way worse for me & I also agree that there is something in everything that is probably bad for us. I probably won't comment anymore as I don't like to be quoted as spreading lies. It was just my opinion & everyone has them. Good luck to everyone!! :-)
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    If you look at my diary you'll see that Minute Maid Light lemonade/Pink Lemonade are my go to drinks. Low in sugar, low in calories, tastes great and I'm not sensitive to the sweetener used. Whatever works for you. Don't dismiss water though. You can always do those water enhancers. People swear by them.

I'll def. check it out.

Mio water enhancers are my favorite as of right now. Anything peach, mango or iced tea is right up my alley!
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    I probably won't comment anymore as I don't like to be quoted as spreading lies. It was just my opinion & everyone has them. Good luck to everyone!! :-)

Exactly, that was their opinion. Don't stop posting. Your opinions are dually noted like everyone else!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Wow!! I didn't mean to start a war on here. This is what MY personal trainer told me, so that is why I stay away and it helps me. Which is why I said the word "personally". Believe me, there are many things that I'm eating that are probably way worse for me & I also agree that there is something in everything that is probably bad for us. I probably won't comment anymore as I don't like to be quoted as spreading lies. It was just my opinion & everyone has them. Good luck to everyone!! :-)

To be quite honest with you, it isn't your fault if he told you that, but you should probably fire him.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    I remember being in college...well wait...I'm still in college. Got one more semester left.

Well my first 3 years at my University, when I would throw house parties at my dorm complex, all my friends used to make fun of me (not seriously) and always say, "here goes J.S. with those damn diet drinks again!" LOL

Well excuse me for being calorie conscious while trying to get wasted. :drinker:

...and yes, I just recently found out that alcohol is the worst when it comes to calories. The more ya know!
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    I am pro-diet drinks.

I am anti-people making ish up about why they're bad for you. First it was that you'll get cancer. Then, when the cancer thing was debunked, then its that they mess with your metabolism or that they mess up your blood sugar. The leading proof? Fat people drink diet soda ergo diet soda makes you fat. Beach please.

Yeah, I heard the cancer thing a few years ago...that's why my fam dropped Sweet and Low...then went to Equal...now on Splenda.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have on average 1-2 cans of diet pop a day. Usually one at lunch and one after my evening meal. Works fine for me.

Only thing I do is drink it out of a straw because I have thin enamel on my teeth and the citric acid can make it worse.
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stay away from diet drinks! The aspartame in them messes with your metabolism...

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I didn't know that. #fail

Since my grandmother has diabetes, for YEARS we've made the switch to sugar substitues. :noway:

What do you recommend then? I hate unsweetened things.

go with stevia as a sweetener , it's plant based.. chemical sweeteners are terrible for you..Most people don't realize that half the problem with the american food system and peoples health in general is all the chemical s*** they put in our foods.Most of these chemicals were at one point hailed as break throughs in food system and health technology,, but now, many decades later people are having health issues in amounts that we have never seen before. If you can't pronounce it and you don't know what it is try to avoid it..
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Dt Pepsi is my crutch. And yes it did taste a little bitter in the beginning but I can't touch regular Pepsi now...Holy SWEET!! But I'm down almost 20# since January and I still average about 1 a day. I'm also sitting here sucking down my 2nd glass of cold brew iced tea with Splenda :)
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I quit aspartame and I've read a lot about the pros and cons. I HAVE researched it and come to the conclusion that it's probably not healthy to be taking in that and the other chemicals, artificial flavour enhancers and presertatives that are often paired with it. And if you've ever tasted those drinks when they aren't refrigerated to mask the flavour, you might change your mind about whether they taste good or not. I prefer to stick with naturals like juice, sometimes diluted with water, green tea ( it tastes great cold), or good old water, sometimes with a splash of lemon or lime. Making iced tea with stevia is good too. One thing I'd like to point out to the OP, is that as you lessen the sweetness of the beverages you drink, which you can do if you make your own, you will be able to taste the natural sugar in fruit and fruit juice. After a while apple juice will taste as sweet as soda.