It All Starts in the Kitchen

Options
So all my life (practically) I've been hovering over the overweight mark. My family isn't the smallest either and I probably just get the poor metabolism from them, but I know I don't eat the healthiest choices either. My family typically eats out every night and sometimes in the middle of the day. Our kitchen is full of chips, cookies, candy, etc and hardly ever has "healthy" selections to choose from. I am officially moving out right before school starts and I am so utterly excited to be able to surround myself with foods that are better choices, and ALSO being able to cook decent foods. Now I am trying to buy things to supplement my kitchen: plates, knives, cooking pans, spice racks, etc. Food wise though, what is a staple to have in your kitchen while trying to lose weight?

Replies

• lmyers132625
    lmyers132625 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies, tuna, cottage cheese, nuts, tortilla chips and salsa (my favorite snack).

I have recently purchased a food scale and keep it on the counter with a basket full of zip-lock bags. I find it easier to portion out my food and store it in the baggies labeled with the calorie content. I do this about twice a week for snack items, shredded cheese, etc. It makes it so easy to just grab a bag when I am cooking or need a snack before heading out the door.

Good luck!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    hey! :)

A food scale + tracking your food is all you need, the types of food you eat has no effect on weight loss, so don't punish yourself so that you go on binges from limiting your food choices.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Food wise, I lost the bulk of my weight eating all the processed things, eating out etc etc. It's all about calories for weight loss (I did alternate day intermittent fasting). I didn't have any special equipment and I still don't own a food scale :) As long as you have a plan (mfp or something else), and make the commitment to follow it, you'll be fine!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple for right now for time, money, and sanity reasons. I keep rice, veggies, and lean meats stocked. I keep one bag of chips and either pudding cups or 100 calorie dark chocolate almond packs. I have to be able to satisfy my sweet tooth which prevents binges. I also have a full spice rack. I can always do a seasoned meat and veggie which is easy and sticks with my calories while being satisfied. I do love to cook and be creative but the more ingredients I add the harder it gets for me to track and the more I eat. So I stick to a simple meat-rice or veggie plan right now.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

A food scale + tracking your food is all you need, the types of food you eat has no effect on weight loss, so don't punish yourself so that you go on binges from limiting your food choices.

What he said. All things in moderation. There are no "bad" foods, only excessive amounts of any food.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I second the first two posts there^^

Also, I keep my freezer stocked with lean proteins: chicken & turkey breast, taco seasoned ground meat (1/2 turkey 1/2 beef) and pork loin or pork chops. I cook them with marinades, rubs -- things that don't add a lot of calories. Then I freeze them in a serving size so that i can just pull out what I want during the week. It's just as easy to cook 3 pounds of chicken as it is 1/2 pound.

I also have fish fillets and shrimp in the freezer -- they cook fast and don't freeze/reheat well so I don't cook them ahead.
  • katmccoy34
    katmccoy34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really like yogurt. There are lots of studies that show the good effects that yogurt has on your digestive system, and besides that, it tastes great. I really like both regular and Greek yogurt, and have it usually for breakfast or a good snack during the day. It is sweet, so it satisfies my sweet tooth.

Also, I don't know how you already are about drinking water, but I like to have a glass handy throughout the day. I found that having cold purified water in the fridge makes me more likely to drink it, too.

Lastly, I pop my own popcorn. It's low in calories and since I do my own, it doesn't have all the buttery additives like at the store, so it's very healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Actually it all starts with the DECISION to COMMIT to lose weight. There are lots of people out there that will eat "well" for a couple of weeks, then abandon it. There's desire, but no commitment. One is always going to eat and while nutrient dense food is a better choice, it's gonna come down to calories in/out and being consistent. Unfortunately on 10% out of all the dieters in the world stay committed to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I agree with this; the only thing I would add is that you can then use this as a starting point to start incorporating healthier foods into your diet. You don't have to change everything all at once; every small thing you do has a big impact. Maybe start with some fruits and vegetables you know you like to snack on instead of always having chips, candy, cookies, etc. Same with cooking - start with things you already know how to make and know you like, and then start mixing it up with newer, healthier options.

That is what ultimately worked for me. It took a while, but the changes stuck when I made them slowly.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Yep this. A food scale made a HUGE difference to me, I was really underestimating portion size.

If you enjoy your treats try just logging what you eat now and so you can see what calories things have. As long as you are in a deficit you lose weight. You can then gradually make healthier choices. There is nothing to say you can't enjoy a cookie each day, but sometimes seeing the amount of calories in said cookie makes people think twice.... or just have them at weekends.... or make healthier choices through the day so they have some free calories to enjoy that cookie on a night.

For me personally, I have some yoghurts and fruit at all times in my kitchen. Sweet potato is another and I even been known to just make a plate of sweet potato wedges as a snack if I am hungry (chop in to wedges, spray with some frylite, sprinkle of salt and bake until soft on the inside and crisp up a little outside, very yummy!).
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Haha if I tell myself it doesn't matter what I eat, it won't help me turn my eating style around. I'm trying to lose weight, but also get into the habit of healthy eating.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    A food scale, a set of measuring cups and spoons, some decent pans and a couple of good knives. Lots of fresh foods, as well as healthy frozen ones...and you're off to a great start!
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    I'm always amazed by how many people think that they can continue to eat the way they always have just because they are working out. Diet and exercise go hand in hand. By diet I am not referring to Adkins, South Beach, etc... A well balanced diet really is the way to go. If God made it, it's usually good to eat. If man has touched it stay away. All things in moderation and log EVERYTHING! Good luck!
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Haha if I tell myself it doesn't matter what I eat, it won't help me turn my eating style around. I'm trying to lose weight, but also get into the habit of healthy eating.

I know where you are coming from. The idea that you can eat what you want as long as you control your calorie intake may be true, but it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. You need to make choices that YOU can stick with. I, too, grew up in a house with a lot of junk food, so my choices have to be as much about being healthy as losing weight. My advice is to stock things you enjoy. It's easy to buy a lot of broccoli and carrots, but if you don't like broccoli it won't help you in the long run. I've discovered there are veggies I LOVE, such as zucchini. I always buy zucchini, because I enjoy it. And, make sure you have stuff that is easy to grab. If you are too hungry and you only have raw chicken breasts, you are more likely to overeat something unhealthy. A scale is a good idea, and they are not very expensive. You should still allow yourself some of your favorite "no so healthy" foods so you don't end up binging later. The scale is a great way to pre-portion those items so you can indulge without overindulging! Good luck and feel free to add me. My eating habits have improved a great deal, but I still have a long way to go! We could help each other with good food ideas.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My staples are fruits and veggies, measured into baggies for daily meals and snacks. Easy to grab and eat when already washed and sliced. Eggs, some boiled ahead for speed others kept for cooking. Measured and weighed portions of cheese (I love cheese but so easy to overdo, and then I'm bloated and ill for a day). Whatever meat is on sale that week. Sometimes fish, sometimes burger, but either way easy to incorporate into a diet for the week. Sandwich wraps, watch the sodium but great for quick meals with leftover meat, veg and mustard. Beyond that, yes I get some other convenience foods, like canned soup, to supplement on tired nights; I just eat a smaller or more sensible portion than I used to. As a working mom, convenience and advance preparation have been hugely necessary to my success. Also, all the advance planning has helped with the grocery bill.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Quick list - produce carrots, celery, onion, garlic, romaine lettuce, bananas, melon if in season - protein - canned beans, individually frozen chicken breasts, canned tuna, eggs - staples - flour(white whole wheat), salt, pepper, a couple of seasoning mixes like Italian or Cajun, oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, canned whole tomatoes, canola oil, skim milk

You would be surprised how many meals you can create with this simple list.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Food staples wise, having easy protein sources around is very helpful to me. Tuna and rotisserie chicken show up in my food diary quite often, as does marinated salmon that I can bake straight from the freezer. Any main dish that I can cook once and eat on for a few days is great (taco meat, stew, whole chicken, pork chops, etc). The crockpot is a fabulous way to get in meat/veg meals with minimal prep. I always like to have snack foods that I can just grab and go (string cheese, fruits, veggies, Kind bars, chocolate and nuts, peanut butter crackers).

In your case, I would think very carefully about why you eat out so much. If it is convenience, you may want to first replace eating out with at home convenience foods (Trader Joe's is my friend for this). You may be surprised at how tedious and time-consuming it can be to make (and clean up) home-cooked meals every single meal every single day. I still have an ideal of completely from scratch healthy meals, but the reality is that many days the best I can do is stay within my calories and macros with foods that took less than 5 minutes of prep.
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Things I try always to have around:

Spices
    low sodium soup stocks
    chickpeas
    wholewheat flour
    canned tuna
    canned tomatoes, diced and crushed
    canned black beans
    canned corn (all cans are reduced or no salt added)
    wholewheat or smart pasta and spaghetti
    brown rice
    321 cake mix for when I need cake (a mix of any flavor cake mix I use chocolate, and angel cake)
    Cheese
    eggs
    frsh veg and fruit
    1% milk
    In the freezer I have lean ground beef and turkey, chicken breasts, pork slices and fish. I also keep a couple of bags of frozen veg for times when the fresh has run out and I have not yet gotten to the store.
    Bran flakes
    Wholewheat bread/english muffins
    Snacky things are sesame ryvita crackers, wholewheat goldfish, pretzels
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed by how many people think that they can continue to eat the way they always have just because they are working out. Diet and exercise go hand in hand. By diet I am not referring to Adkins, South Beach, etc... A well balanced diet really is the way to go. If God made it, it's usually good to eat. If man has touched it stay away. All things in moderation and log EVERYTHING! Good luck!
    Well if one doesn't believe in god, then they would probably starve on this analogy.:wink: Practically all food today is processed in one way or another today. Unless one is planting it, pulling from the ground, personally raising and slaughtering their own meat, then today's agriculture involves pesticides, chemical cleaning of food, GMO, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Unless one is planting it, pulling from the ground, personally raising and slaughtering their own meat, then today's agriculture involves pesticides, chemical cleaning of food, GMO, etc.

That's kinda scary to think about lol