Critique my diet please!

Options
2»

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck between the 215-220 range for a few months.

I've gotten off the ellyptical (hard on the joints running at 250lbs) and recently started building up my running stamina (almost able to complete a 5k non stop) and also biking as well (did my first spin class yesterday).

I have been eating under 2k since I started and I've been a bit gunshy adding more calories to loose weight.

To up my fat %, I'll convert some non-fat items to fat.

If you're stuck at that weight, it is as simple as lowering calories, make sure you weight train AND hit protein and fat minimum requirements. thats all there is to it.
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Under your goals menu, click on change goals>custom

For Carbohydrates, change that to 40%. The others (fat and protein) should change to 30% each. Click save. Follow that instead.

Now, make sure most all of your carbohydrates are coming from vegetables and SOME fruit. The occasional piece of bread/tortilla is fine, but the bulk of your carbs should come from veggies.

Definitely try to lower your sodium intake unless you're in a very hot (120 degrees) climate. Sodium causes you heart issues and it causes you to hold extra water weight.

Otherwise, keep the course. Being successful is mostly just being routine and boring. :-)

Please don't give out this false information, that is worrying what you have just written.

Domin8orx, I'd use a proper calculator to work out your calories and macros mate..

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If you need anymore help, come back!

And what, scientifically, is wrong with what I've written? Are you a certified nutritionist or do you get all your information from Muscle Mag?
  • domin8orx
    Options

I've gotten off the ellyptical (hard on the joints running at 250lbs) and recently started building up my running stamina (almost able to complete a 5k non stop) and also biking as well (did my first spin class yesterday).

I have been eating under 2k since I started and I've been a bit gunshy adding more calories to loose weight.

If you're stuck at that weight, it is as simple as lowering calories, make sure you weight train AND hit protein and fat minimum requirements. thats all there is to it.

Considering I've been eating under my BMR this whole time, isn't it possible my body is in starvation mode?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Under your goals menu, click on change goals>custom

For Carbohydrates, change that to 40%. The others (fat and protein) should change to 30% each. Click save. Follow that instead.

Now, make sure most all of your carbohydrates are coming from vegetables and SOME fruit. The occasional piece of bread/tortilla is fine, but the bulk of your carbs should come from veggies.

Definitely try to lower your sodium intake unless you're in a very hot (120 degrees) climate. Sodium causes you heart issues and it causes you to hold extra water weight.

Otherwise, keep the course. Being successful is mostly just being routine and boring. :-)

Please don't give out this false information, that is worrying what you have just written.

Domin8orx, I'd use a proper calculator to work out your calories and macros mate..

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If you need anymore help, come back!

And what, scientifically, is wrong with what I've written? Are you a certified nutritionist or do you get all your information from Muscle Mag?

I get all my information from credible sources and years of hard research, which is why it is my career. What you have written is unnecessary I've already started that. There is no discussion to be had about it, body composition is not effected by the type of carbs you eat, so telling him to MAKE SURE most of his carbs come from veg and fruit is irrelevant.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Considering I've been eating under my BMR this whole time, isn't it possible my body is in starvation mode?

Highly unlikely, that whole starvation mode doesn't actually exist in our world (if we are eating,, we will generally be fine,, even if it was only 1000 calories), you'd have to be under eating a HEAVY amount, for a long period of time.
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So the impact insulin has on the body is completely irrelevant...THAT's what you're telling me? Carry on with your bad self. Props to the guy who knows it all.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

This is where a difference of opinion will rise as well... I think raising your calories will help. It gets tough on your body to eat below your BMR for so long. After a couple weeks, you should start to see the scale move again. Even if you don't lose weight eating more (I think you will, though)... you can drop your calories back down in a month and should start losing again. Just give it some time. Either way, it's something different to try, new data for you to collect about your body and what it responds to.
    Congrats on your running! That's awesome! I try to run, really wish I was a runner... but am so not there! lol
    How about your weight training? Low reps, high weight or high reps, low weight? The high reps can turn weight lifting into more of a cardio exercise, and with your running and spinning, you don't need more cardio. The low reps, high weight will help you build strength and keep your lean muscle mass so that the weight you lose will be fat and your bf% will drop more quickly.
  • domin8orx
    Options
    I lift for building strenght/power, so I'd say low reps/high weight. Generally try for sets of 10/10/10 ro 10/8/6 (for going up in weight). I do this for both upper and lower. I pack what I can in 45 minutes.

I alternate upperbody and lowerbody. I add core workout to my lowerbody days.

After weights I transition to a 5k on the treadmill or do a spin class.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I lift for building strenght/power, so I'd say low reps/high weight. Generally try for sets of 10/10/10 ro 10/8/6 (for going up in weight). I do this for both upper and lower. I pack what I can in 45 minutes.

I train 3 days a week, for 45 minutes, strength training

6-8 rep work

It is useful for cutting and bulking.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

I alternate upperbody and lowerbody. I add core workout to my lowerbody days.

After weights I transition to a 5k on the treadmill or do a spin class.

Have you considered alternating cardio and lifting days? 3 days lifting, 3 days cardio? Also, you may look into a lifting program such as Sronglifts 5x5 if you're pressed for time but want to build strength. Or just to switch up your routine. It's free and there are videos on Youtube that show the form.
  • domin8orx
    Options
    Routine:

1. Upper Body weights/ Bike
    2 Lower body weights & core / run
    3.Upper Body weights/ Bike
    4.Lower body weights & core / run
    5.Upper Body weights/ Bike
    6. Lower body weights & core / run

I'm considering training for a sprint level triathlon and looking to add some morning swims, but that may not happen for a month or so. I might wait till I hit 200 before I attempt this, so I can up my calorie intake to keep up with my activity.