Any other slow losers? Looking for friends!

Options
I've been overweight about 10 years now (I'm 41). Gained most of my weight going through a rough divorce, and then just never took it off. My turning point really was hitting 250 (251.8 to be exact) I also had taken my son to an amusement park and skipped some rides I would normally go on because I was afraid I wouldn't fit in the bucket type seats. I also never post pics on facebook of myself because I hate the way I look.

I joined MFP years ago, but never actually came on until a couple weeks ago. I've been very slowly losing weight by counting calories and my exercising (jazzercise mostly) It's taken me 8 months to lose 24lbs.

I'm looking to lose 50 by the end of this year, and in total 100 lbs.

Want to hit the 50 by end of this year so I can have pics with my son done, which I've been embarrassed to do before.

Would love some friends!

Replies

• Nufraser
    Nufraser Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will send a friend request. I too, avoid pictures like a plague. My profile pic is from 2 yrs ago and the other one is from my birthday last year. I started logging consistently about 50 days ago (sayeth mfp). Still haven't gotten a handle on my eating so I haven't lost anything yet. Actually since joining I've gained about 9 lbs. Not blaming the site, I know it's my eating.

So, I have resolved to keep going until I see results or get sick of sabotaging my success. Don't exercise like I use to mainly because of work and school. Although that is an excuse. I have finals this week so I hope to get on some type of consistent workout plan.

Hoping we can encourage each other in reaching our goals. I don't want to be fat at 40, so I have 3 yrs to get it together!
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. When I first started exercising I actually gained 1lb in the first 3 months, it can be frustrating. I'm trying to look at it as a lifestyle change and something I just have to keep going on and when I occassionally veer off, to just get myself back on track. I keep telling myself to look at the big picture (or maybe that should be think of the small picture when I'm done :)
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with losing slowly- it usually builds habits you can maintain. Good luck on your journey! There are lots of support groups on facebook too, and you can get lots of encouragement on those.
  • ashleighmorgan5209
    Options
    for being so young i too loose very slowly, i've been extremely healthy this week, exercised and still nothing..

please join my christmas countdown group, its only 20 weeks away, even a slow loss of 1lb a week would make up 20lbs lighter by then thats how im trying to see it ( i know its fustrating)

add me too

38038921.png

my sticker is what i managed to loose over two years (very slow)
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm almost 37 and have been on MFP for over a year and a half...logging consistently for 266 days. I'm approaching the 20lb mark. It's been extremely slow for me, but I haven't given up and I won't. I've tried IPOARM, BMR, TDEE-10, 20, 30% and nothing has triggered it for me. I think I may have found my sweet spot calorie-wise, but I'm hesitant to say it out loud and jinx myself! I'd like to lose another 60-80lbs.
  • sharonfoustmills
    Options
    Hi, I will send a friend request. I too, avoid pictures like a plague. My profile pic is from 2 yrs ago and the other one is from my birthday last year. I started logging consistently about 50 days ago (sayeth mfp). Still haven't gotten a handle on my eating so I haven't lost anything yet. Actually since joining I've gained about 9 lbs. Not blaming the site, I know it's my eating.

So, I have resolved to keep going until I see results or get sick of sabotaging my success. Don't exercise like I use to mainly because of work and school. Although that is an excuse. I have finals this week so I hope to get on some type of consistent workout plan.

Hoping we can encourage each other in reaching our goals. I don't want to be fat at 40, so I have 3 yrs to get it together!

I avoid pictures too, and I hope that will change in the coming months. My profile picture is me snorkeling even though I was huge (and still am, just starting to try again to lose the weight). I plan on exercising but need to drop about twenty pounds first due to knee injury and ankle problem at the present time, going to set my weight gym back up by the time this weekend is over and do what I can on that until I can recover enough to do the cardio.

Don't give up!! Good luck on your journey
  • sharonfoustmills
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm almost 37 and have been on MFP for over a year and a half...logging consistently for 266 days. I'm approaching the 20lb mark. It's been extremely slow for me, but I haven't given up and I won't. I've tried IPOARM, BMR, TDEE-10, 20, 30% and nothing has triggered it for me. I think I may have found my sweet spot calorie-wise, but I'm hesitant to say it out loud and jinx myself! I'd like to lose another 60-80lbs.

The fact that you've stayed with it so long is awesome! You have now developed healthy habits that can last a lifetime. Don't be discouraged by the slow progress, because you are losing. Also, measure yourself, because weight scales don't show you everything there is to know and exercise can sometimes build muscle and result in the weight on a scale going up even though you might be physically smaller.

You are doing GREAT! Your determination is something many of us wish we had.
  • svr1964
    svr1964 Posts: 4
    Options
    It is frustrating. I went on vacation and gained 3 lbs. in about a week. Not sure why~guess I thought I'd enjoy things more if I ate everything I missed! Slower weight loss is usually better for your body and habits. I try to remember it took a while to put it on, will take a while to take it off. Good luck to all~
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have never been a slow loser in the past. I lose as long as I stick to it, but if I blunder I gain super fast. So, there's a reason it's good to lose slow. I too have been on here awhile. I YOYO a lot. I will get down to a weight I feel good at (even though it's still not my ideal weight) then I stop working at it & then BAM. I'm up again.
    I am tired of that habit, so here I am, once again, to try to get a handle on the lifestyle change mentality vs a diet.
    Feel free to add me.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have been losing and gaining the same 2-3 pounds for two months now. Everyone, feel free to add :)
  • nyoung1208
    nyoung1208 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone I think it is awsome no one has given up I to have gained weight and it is so crazy to because it did not just happen overnight I saw it coming and just got depressed and kept letting the weight go on. We all have to remember it didn't take one day or even a couple of days to put the weight on so we must stay positive. I have just started this program and yes I struggle when I get home even sometimes at work if I don't stay busy I find myself wanting to snack on something but the great thing is we have this to look at and see what will happen if we continue on our path my advice to anyone is just try to make small changes in your lifestyle. You shouldn't be on a diet it is all about changing your eating habbits. What is crazy all the diet foods we think are great have so much sodium in them so that is just so wrong for the brand to say its healthy for us. Also just try to workout 30 to 40 minutes a day we can find it in our schedule because even if your a work you can walk up stairs or do squats at your desk or go walking a lunch. I try to work out at lunch and the afternoon trying to burn at least 1200 calories a day plus walking after I eat my dinner I don't feel so guilty. But like I said I know it is hard and yes I have my days but we must stay strong and keep trying to make a small change in your lifestyle. You can do this even if you don't have time to exercise than try not to eat no white products. Give it a shot for thirty days and see what happens. You might even surprise yourself and find by eating hamburgers without buns you get more taste also use cumcumber for bread and cream cheese with two pieces of sandwhich meat and cheese this can help you out a lot it is all what we are trying to do is feel better look better and be more alive. But I am not here trying to tell you how to live your life I to find myself in a struggle some days but as long as I keep trying this is where it will pay off in the end.:happy:
  • Kimmywells
    Kimmywells Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can add me.
  • klo1335
    klo1335 Posts: 13
    Options
    I will send you a friend request. It also takes me a long time to lose weight. I have actually given up weighing myself and have just been doing measurements. That seems to show quicker results for me then the scale does :)
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am a slow looser also. I started at 250. Lost 50 pounds then gained back 29. Now I have lost 25. My goal is to get to 165 and then see what happens. I loose really slow but gain very easily. I know I will never be skinny but I would like to be fit. I would like some friends dealing with the same issues.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have to lose slowly because I am breastfeeding. It can be discouraging but I also am seeing changes in my body and feeling better. Feel free to add me!
  • creay2012
    creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi

Its been a very slow journey for me as well. I have been a member for some time and just recently started logging in daily. Hoping to find my routine and start seeing the scale go in the other direction. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I am in the home stretch, and it is really slowing down. I avoid pictures too, but I try to remind myself that my son doesn't care how I look (though he thinks I'm pretty like a princess, lol), he just wants pictures of himself and mommy. My mom avoided pictures because she was overweight, and now we have hardly any pictures of her from our childhood to remember her by. Anyway, feel free to add me. I hope to hit my initial goal by the end of the year and may bump it down by 5-10 pounds depending how I feel when I get there :)
  • MishelW
    MishelW Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think you have just created an awesome group! I have 50-60 to go as well. We should all add each other for support here. Add ME!!!
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request! I lose weight so slowly. I feel like I have to work so much harder to lose weight than other people I know. Any of you ladies can add me!
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    Hi Tavins mom,
    1st of all congratulations on your recent weight loss! We al go through things in our lives that make us seek comfort,
    food or otherwise. I am a little older, than you, ok, a lot older than you, and I have never experienced a weight problem in my entire life, so this is all so new to me! I was a former fitness trainer, and never weighed more than 105lbs-110lbs except when I was
    pregnant, and I hit 180lbs. I lost it within a year and was back in my favorite bikini! We all fluctuate in our weight, so it is not the same every day, in fact through out the day, just like with blood pressure it can be different. I think this site is great because you feel guilty about cheating on it! I have had a few problems with menopause weight gain, medicine weight gain, and I stopped smoking which led to another weight gain! We are all conscious of weight gain, but we also go around comparing ourselves to others who are slimmer, prettier etc! Wrong thing to do! We need to love , respect, and accept ourselves, and if we can't do that we need to change for our own peace of mind. When it comes to the point of not feeling good about you, you has to get to work because no one can do it for you!

You may look at me and say I am ridiculous for being here, but I know from all my years what feels right and what feels wrong to me! I have thought screw it I'm getting older, but I know that's a [poor excuse! So let me tell you what brings me here. I worked hard since I was in my teen years, I workout all the time, taught fitness, and was a restaurant manager! I have always been plagued by a body image problem, so maybe that's why I was looking for perfection, which in my mind to this day I have never found! I'm the type of person that can't even decide what to wear each day, and I may change 3 times before I feel I've gotten it right! 4 yrs ago I was living life large, had a great job, with the best benefits one could hope for, bonuses were a plus, and each year I also got one for 10 % of my annual salary! My boyfriend of 30 yrs was on my policy too! He became disabled in 2000 and that's when stress set in! We got by until 2008 when while I was at work closing for the night, I was preparing bank deposits, and other duties when I thought I heard movements and saw something out of the corner of my eye. I summed it up to the fact I was alone in building that night, I got up to take a look around, when a man came towards me and placed a gun to my stomach, it was a horrendous night, and I won't go into it, but here I am, a survivor.!

After that is when all my problems began! about three weeks afterwards, I started shaking uncontrollably, I wouldn't go out, fear had me 100% of anything and everything! I went into therapy for almost two years but nothing changed. I was 103lbs sick to say the least, and people were pretty mean saying I looked like the walking dead! The Psychologist sent me to a Psychiatrist or ordered lab studies. It came back that I was hyperthyroid from the trauma and so sick I wouldn't have lived past another 3 months.
    I was sent to a endocrinologist ( gland Doctor ) and he put me on meds. Now between the two Docs I was taking 70 pills a week!
    I started gaining weight, complained, was put on an amphetamine to lose it> It was all caused by the medication. Working out and walking, I lost the weight! Then my boyfriend had a stroke 3 day before Thanksgiving Last year, and I almost lost him! It was on a day that for some reason I changed my schedule, so I was there when it happened! I got him to the hospital and they gave him a clot buster telling us it would either work and break the 10 clots in his brain or kill him, there was no other options! He survived without any residual effects and he was told to stop smoking. We went on the buddy system together and have been smoke free for almost 9 months! Meanwhile I gained weight, but the amphetamine destroyed my appetite, so I wasn't eating much, and I wasn't losing because I put my poor body in starvation mode! How can you lose weight when you have nothing to burn? My body just held on to whatever I managed to shove in my mouth. I had no attraction to food at all! So I came here, liked the set up and what I was reading and thought I would give it a shot! I am eating now, it feels strange, but I know I have to do a report of the day each night of what I ate, and what I did, and I can't leave it blank! So a friend for support is the best think you can have! I look forward to "talking to you", sharing and helping each other! I m not judgmental and through my experience I can share some of my tips! Welcome to a new friend, talk to you soon!