Do you eat before you work out- for early am workouts

Options
Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a morning person, but I have realized that the mornings are the best time, for me to be working out (walking, jogging etc), but I barely pull myself out of bed, to get going, I start off slow, and once I get into it, I feel good, but I feel underfueled.

I stop eating in the eveings usually by 7 PM, so I haven't eaten anything for about 12 hours.

Do you guys eat a quick snack before you workout? What do you have? I also don't want something too heavy?

Sometimes I will grab half a banana or something...

Just looking for ideas

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I usually eat half a protein bar. (200 cals for the whole thing)
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I can't. Makes me sick.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't usually, but if I'm in a fairly steep deficit I'll have half a clif bar or a small bowl of cereal. Usually I will eat a carb-heavy meal the night before if I know I'm going to go for a long run, but for anything under an hour I don't bother.
  • Abs1020
    Abs1020 Posts: 18
    Options
    I usually eat a couple bites of oatmeal pre-morning workout, then finish the oatmeal after the workout. I dont know if thats a "good" pre-workout food or not, but it works for me! I dont like to eat too much before working out because it usually makes me feel crappy during the work out.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do eat before I work out in the morning. My usual:

1 glass orange juice
    4 oz 0% fage greek yogurt
    15 grams chocolate chips
    2 cups coffee
    1 tablespoon cream
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 cups water
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If I eat beforehand, I get cramps and side-stitches. I defintely prefer doing fasted cardio - it makes me feel lighter and faster.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of fruit, a spoonful of coconut oil, and a scoop of BCAAs about 20 minutes before (however long it takes me to get dressed and to the gym), and then real breakfast after my workout. But it took some experimenting to get there - it really is about finding what works best for you.
  • kumphort2
    kumphort2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback, I think I am making excuses for feeling sluggish in the morn, when I just need to get more ZZZZzzz's
  • sid4567
    sid4567 Posts: 8
    Options
    OP, your question is pointless.

Eat if you want to. Don't if you don't want to.

If you feel you have no energy, then eat more.

Since you're not doing anything taxing like compound lifts, then what you eat doesn't matter unless you're feeling too tired to complete your workout.
  • lifeisgoodwith4
    lifeisgoodwith4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    24 oz of water and a handful of almonds is what I usually do.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    NO
  • toinel
    toinel Posts: 28
    Options
    My routine is a banana, and a glass of pineapple juice. If I have a heavy workout planned, I eat a peanut protein bar also.

After my workout, I eat a small piece of grilled chicken.

Toine