Clothes Exchange -- Is it unethical?

Options
aalhasan
aalhasan Posts: 104
Hello MFPs,

Do you consider exchanging used clothes that have become large on you after you had lost weight an unethical act?
Most of the shops in my area offer 90 days refund/exchange policy on their clothing items.

Replies

• TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's unethical if you've worn them, because the store would be selling it for full price to someone else even though it has wear-and-tear, or they'll have to sell it at a discounted price and eat the cost themselves. The condition of a fabric changes as soon as you've washed it for the first time.

However, I would not give a hoot about exchanging them if the store was some behemoth small-business-killer like Walmart or Target. They don't deserve to be treated ethically, IMO, but I guess it depends on your particular value system.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    yes a nd you should be donating them to some place else
  • AngelicValkyrie
    Options
    If you have worn them, yes.
    Take them to a resale store to get money for them. At least there they know it has been worn.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I do consider it unethical.

I would rather buy some used clothes at a charity shop, then re-donate them when done.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My rule is once I wash it, it's mine. The only way I would be ok returning an item I'd already washed is if it fell apart the first washing.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's unethical. It's not the store's fault the clothes don't fit you anymore.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    where i live (Bahrain) there's usually only a 1 week limit on when you can exchange clothes.

also, if you've removed the tags, most shops won't accept them for refunds (or I've always been under that impression, as they can't tell if it's from their shop any more or not), and I think that's true elsewhere. In any case, if I buy new clothes I always try them on before removing any tags, in case they don't fit. If they fit and I decide to keep them, then i cut the tags etc off. From a business point of view this prevents people returning clothes that have been worn, washed, etc.

unless the law is very different where you live that the shop has to accept the items back even if they've had the tags removed and have wear and tear on them...?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yes. Once you've worn it, it belongs to you.

Donate it to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, or a domestic violence shelter and do good things instead of being deceitful and taking advantage.

Are you a good person or are you a person who takes advantage of others?
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It is unethical, but it's not illegal. Big businesses like Wal-Mart have a no-questions-asked policy for clothing within 90 days because they built it into their pricing. In other word, when they set the price they calculated that some people are going to return it within 90 days. Why? Because they want you to not hesitate when you see something you like and mindlessly purchase it, you can justify not being smarter in your shopping because you can always return it. As a result people buy more. Many people don't bother to return clothes even if they don't fit, especially men.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yes. I think exchanges were allowed for those times when people legitimately got the wrong size. In no way do I feel it's acceptable to take clothes back and get clothes that fit now because you have lost weight. I would suggest donating those old clothes to Goodwill or another person that could use them and "reward" yourself with a small shopping spree. Even if you are only purchasing one or two items. I know how I feel when I purchase clothes that are a size smaller than what I wore before. And I shop at Goodwill.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is unethical. You are purchasing something in order to wear it. That you are actively working to make that item unacceptable to you after you have used it (because it now will not fit) is not the responsibility of the store. I don't see that the line blurs just because it is a big store, either. They are forced to build margin into their budgets for shoplifting as well, but that doesn't mean it is ok to walk through and take what you want, either.