Starting a weight regime

Options
Yourdonis
Yourdonis Posts: 16 Member
I would like to start weight lifting. Not to heavy. I really just want to tone as I am losing. The gym I go to have lots of weight lifting machines. How did you start? How many reps and how many pounds? Also I do the elliptical and stair climber so shouldnt that be good for working the legs or do I need to work those as well with the weights.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Look into starting strength, new rules, or strong lifts. There is no such thing as toning. Maintaing you lean body mass while you eat at a deficit will ensure you wont look like a saggy bad of milk. Do not be afraid to progress to lifting heavy your body will thank you.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have a routine you can follow on the machines. Ask the trainer or desk person. You can also consult magazines for routines like Muscle and Fitness Hers.

That said, I personally suggest lifting heavy. You will get better results.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Free weights. To get the "toned" results you want, you should lift as heavy as you can. A good place to start is with an empty olympic bar...which is 45 lbs. Try that, and add a little weight each time. And you're better off doing weighted squats and lunges for your legs than the cardio machines.
  • kellysam1
    kellysam1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i started doing 2 sets of 10 at a weight that i was able to get to 7 with out finding it difficult
    I increase the weight when i can do 10 easy with no real effort and then i increase it to 15 reps
    it also depends on what im doing my legs are stronger than my arms so i aimed for 30 on those and at least 150 sit ups, 25 each side and 25 straight 2x.

now i still do 2 sets but I do it to fatigue, this could be 10 or 50 plus depending on the area
  • bugginmary
    bugginmary Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would meet with a wellness coach who works at the gym to discuss your goals. This way they can introduce you to the equipment and recommend what you need to do to reach your goals with a workout plan.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!