Time is NOT on My Side.

Options
So I had my baby boy 6 months ago. I also work 12 hours three nights out of the week and I'm starting school again in two weeks. I will be a full time occupational therapy assistant student. Yes I will be an EXTREMELY busy lady. So I'm trying to figure out when and at what point can I workout..the second year students exclaimed that people gain ALOT of weight while in the program.They also explained that your time is precious and your always busy while in the program. I can't afford to gain any more weight. I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight since I didn't gain much with the baby but the scale says one thing and my clothes say another. What are some healthy habits to help me throughout the day? How can I implement exercise into my day to lose weight? Thanks for your help. :smile:

Replies

• mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    Watch what you eat VERY carefully. I am betting that people gain weight because they eat nothing but crap going through the program. I would also get some videos to do at home as well as some weights or something that you can do while studying at home. Do squats, walk in place, etc while you are reading stuff.
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    pack healthy snacks when you're on the go so you aren't tempted by junk. pack meals if you can and track your calories. fit in exercise when you can. Remember that 1 day a week is better than none.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the fall semester in two and a half weeks and working part time as well. I already have my schedule, so I am planning my exercise around that. Obviously I would recommend you do the same if you can but I know out of class work and meetings don't like to jive with those plans and putting in a baby on top of that.....good luck to you super mom. Just make sure you're focusing on the diet part since that is what you're going to most be able to control. Exercise when you can. Maybe in bits and spurts throughout the day? The weight may come off slower but it will still come off.
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am also a working mom of 2 trying to loose the last of my baby weight.I work 5 sometimes 6 days a week, and anywhere from 50-65 hours a week.. My only time to excercise is in the morning, I get up at 4 am to go to the gym for 45 minutes before I go to work, and i go on my days off, usually 4 or 5 days a week.. it was really tough at first, but now that i'm in the habbit I'
    m good, it's like clock work..Sometimes I skip the gym and put the baby in the stroller,have my son get on his scooter and we go for walks. If that to much for you, I would look into work out videos.. I think that one of the beach body work out sets are all 10 minute a day videos..Hope you find somthing that works for you,good luck!!
  • SandyT7468
    Options
    It's all about being active. Park farther away in store lots, do take the stairs - a lot things like that people dismiss but the little bit of extra activity each time does add up. There have also been recent studies that claim 15 minutes of cardio done multiple times during the day is just as good as a long workout. If you normally workout for 45 minutes do 3 - 15 minute workouts throughout the day. And the key to long term weight loss is muscle tone. Add strength training as one of your workout sets. Aim for a weight that that you can lift 10-12 times for muscle tone or 8-10 times for muscle increase. Strength training will also help tighten your body back up from your pregnancy. Good luck and stay positive!
  • bryn10
    bryn10 Posts: 44
    Options
    My boyfriend is in Med School and had to deal with this a lot. So basically he tries to fit in what he can. Sometimes he'll even pace while he studies so that he's a least moving. And 20 minutes a day is better than nothing at all. Maybe you can find just 20 minutes and do a short, high intensity workout like interval running or a Jillian Michael's DVD. I agree with everyone on here that the biggest obstacle is going to be what you're eating. You wont have time to burn off crappy food, so you'll just have to manage what you take in. The bright side is at least you are going into the program aware that it might be hard to lose or maintain weight. You're already strides beyond other people because you're planning for success. Best of luck!!
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for you all's advice. I will definitely utilize your advice! Log everything and try to plan as much as possible and exercise when I can while investing in some home dvds.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Not gaining weight (and even losing weight) will come down to eating at or below your TDEE. You will eat not matter what so eating healthy and reasonable portions will not cost you more time in your busy schedule. People who blame the program for weight gain are probably eating more and unhealthy food as a response to stress so look out for that.

As for your weight being the same but your clothes tighter, your body changed when you had a baby. Your hips widen. Your breasts grow and shrink. You will never be quite the same as before, so try not to use that as your starting point.