hula hoop?

Options
A friend of mine does the hula hoop thing for about 15 minutes every day. Just goes round and round.....Stupid question but is this cardio? The movement is so slight so I was just wondering. THANKS!

Replies

• ELVISDEAN
    Options
    it can be cutie...depends on how hard you grind
  • carollynch09
    Options
    lol..
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop sometimes if it's too hot outside. I should try it with my HRM but it is pretty intesnse sometimes. I especially like it as a drinking game lol
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If the heart rate goes up and stays up while exercising then it is cardio. It would be hard to know how hard your friend is working without an HRM to see their heart rate.
  • sid4567
    sid4567 Posts: 8
    Options
    You're asking if this is cardio?

What else would it be? Powerlifting?
  • therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping can be cardio if you put a lot of effort into it. To stand there hooping in one place for 15 is definitely better than sitting around for 15 minutes, but would not burn very many calories.
  • sid4567
    Options
    If the heart rate goes up and stays up while exercising then it is cardio. It would be hard to know how hard your friend is working without an HRM to see their heart rate.

Silly definition.

My heartrate probably went up while typing this message. CARDIO!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It gives you nice and slim waist, that's for sure! :)
  • sid4567
    Options
    NO.

There you have it folks. End of thread. Science-based post wins the day.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes Kelly osbourne swears by it
  • sid4567
    Options

Awesome! I'm gonna pound a bag of chips and hula. Slim waist here I come!
  • sid4567
    Options
    Yes Kelly osbourne swears by it

End of thread.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I would say that it definitely can be. Playing WiiFit's hula hoop game had be breathing harder that most anything--of course I wasn't really hula hooping and maybe I was moving even more/faster than I would been with a real hula hoop. And actually, on further reflection, now I remember that when I did lose 50 pounds about 10 years ago--and kept it off!--I included hula hooping in my activity. It didn't take the place of other workouts, but just some fun extra movement!
  • carollynch09
    Options
    You're asking if this is cardio?

What else would it be? Powerlifting?

I don't need a smart a@@ answering.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping is a fun way to get in shape and to lose extra weight at the same time. It’s also a great way to get out of the house and to breathe in some fresh air without it having to feel like a chore. While hula hooping seems easy enough, it’s actually an intense cardio workout that provides many benefits when it’s done on a regular basis.

1. Take Care of Your Organs

Using a hula hoop on a regular basis will actually help to massage and distress major organs throughout the body, including the intestines. This can really help to keep you feeling strong, and to help regulate you at the same time. The circular motion that is done during a hula hoop session is all that’s needed to gently cleanse and improve blood flow throughout the body.

2. Create a Strong Heart

Like many intense workouts such as running, hula hooping helps to elevate your heart rate which in turn provides an excellent cardiovascular workout. This helps to fight against your risk of heart disease, strokes and even heart attacks. Good cardio health will improve your overall fitness level, making other forms of exercise that much easier.

3. Focus Your Mind

Hula hooping is an effective way to incorporate meditation into your life. Meditation can be an important tool for stress relief and focusing on goals. It also helps to reduce cravings and feelings of failure, which in turn provides a solid tool for weight loss. Meditation doesn’t have to be about sitting in a quiet room with your legs crossed; it’s simply a matter of focusing your mind on things that are positive and important to you.

4. Increase Your Energy Level

Hula hooping can greatly increase your energy level if you do it on a regular basis. With a higher energy level your body is more able to burn calories and to provide you with enough energy to stay active throughout the day. An increase in energy could mean the difference between you using the stairs or the elevator. The more you move, the more calories you burn and the more calories you burn, the more weight you lose.

5. Strengthen Your Core

Your body’s core muscles (found in the abdomen) are what support your entire body when weight training and performing other kinds of exercise, so it’s important to keep it strong and active. A strong core makes it easier to work out and to get your body in shape, so this benefit should definitely not be overlooked.

6. Enhance Your Flexibility

Flexibility is very important for strong bones and an active lifestyle. While yoga is considered one of the best ways to achieve great flexibility, hula hooping can lengthen and strengthen the spine, legs and even the arms during vigorous hooping, so it’s a viable alternative to yoga and it can be done on your own, at any time.

Share this on Facebook
    Tweet This!
    Email this to a friend?
    Subscribe to the comments for this post?
    Share this on del.icio.us
    Share this on Reddit
    Stumble upon something good? Share it on StumbleUpon
    FROM WOMENS DAY>COM
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Awesome! I'm gonna pound a bag of chips and hula. Slim waist here I come!

I didn't read anywhere that she was pounding a bag of chips, it would be hard to burn that off doing any excersize. A bag of chips is probably over 1000 calories. It wouldn't be the quality of exercise that would be at fault here... it would be the idiot who thought buring 100 calories with a hulahoop afforded them the luxury of 1000 calories in chips.
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Idk about how many calories it burns but it defiantly helps to tone my stomach. I have a light weighted hoop and go for an hour. I really enjoy it a lot.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There's a lot more you can do than just twirl it around your waist, there is a whole movement of "hoopdancing" that has started involving dance, tricks, or circus-style acts. I've been doing it for a couple years and I can assure you that it can definitely be a great workout for the heart, muscles...and the mind! It can be creative and meditative, I just love it!!

However...twirling in one place every day would drive me crazy! I take mine to the yard or the park, put some music on and dance around with it til I can't go on anymore. :love:
  • carollynch09
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I haven't tried it yet but we have hoops at the gym so I might. Breaks up the every day routine. Sounds like it has many advantages. THANKS AGAIN! :D